Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 4:41:39 PM EDT
Has anyone ever thought about making 80 and 90% completed silencers/suppressors for sale.

It comes to mind, that a machine company can save on both the FFL fees, and annual SOT fee if they machine 80% complete silencers that will not work without additional work on them, and depending on the the materials used, the could manufacture these at a cost of only a few dollars, and then sell them for a few hundred dollars, well below silencer market price (they can also sell to the general public) from there the person who purchases it can fill out for the form 2, and once approved can complete the mfg of the silencer.

Am i just understating how complex this work would be? there seems to be a precedent with 80% completed firearm receivers, so why wouldn't this work with silencers as well?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting, tag
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Still an NFA item.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in the day a suppressor tube was the restricted part. You could to the fun show and buy a stack. The guy at the next table sold "flashlight" tubes.

You bought one of each. Got home and made an unregistered suppressor. ATF called shenanigans as they should have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in the day a suppressor tube was the restricted part. You could to the fun show and buy a stack. The guy at the next table sold "flashlight" tubes.

You bought one of each. Got home and made an unregistered suppressor. ATF called shenanigans as they should have.
View Quote

So back then the ATF changed their rules because they "assumed" someone was breaking the law? And you agree with that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Engrave a tube and voila.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think it would work. A tube is a suppressor and so is a baffle according to the ATF.   Dude to that view I'd say there is absolutely no way this would work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So back then the ATF changed their rules because they "assumed" someone was breaking the law? And you agree with that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For every stamped suppressor back then I saw ten not stamped.

Just like lightning links and DIAS's they were everywhere and not a stamp in sight.

Whether I agree with the law or not isn't the point. People were regularly breaking the law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just like lightning links and DIAS's they were everywhere and not a stamp in sight.

Whether I agree with the law or not isn't the point. People were regularly breaking the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet not a documented case of someone using such a setup to commit an additional crime, at least not that I can find. but I admit my google fu is weak
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever thought about making 80 and 90% completed silencers/suppressors for sale.

It comes to mind, that a machine company can save on both the FFL fees, and annual SOT fee if they machine 80% complete silencers that will not work without additional work on them, and depending on the the materials used, the could manufacture these at a cost of only a few dollars, and then sell them for a few hundred dollars, well below silencer market price (they can also sell to the general public) from there the person who purchases it can fill out for the form 2, and once approved can complete the mfg of the silencer.

Am i just understating how complex this work would be? there seems to be a precedent with 80% completed firearm receivers, so why wouldn't this work with silencers as well?
View Quote

actually it is currently being done. at least sort of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think it would work. A tube is a suppressor and so is a baffle according to the ATF.   Dude to that view I'd say there is absolutely no way this would work.
View Quote

Here is a simplified image of my idea, this would prevent BOTH the tubes, and the baffles from working, (the tube will not work without modification with completed baffles and vice versa) both will require work.

this is a simplified example using a already existing silencer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And yet not a documented case of someone using such a setup to commit an additional crime, at least not that I can find. but I admit my google fu is weak
View Quote

One Mac ten open bolt semi converted and a suppressor

Two suppresor

They exist. There is a reason open bolt semis are banned. There is a reason suppressor stacks are regulated. It was too easy for criminal types to get their hands on.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the ATF has no business in the silencer market, it isn't a firearm
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

silencers are considered a firearm accessory...

also, anyone ever heard of someone serialising a potato for use in a  potato silencer?

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
So i went and sent a letter to the atf technology branch for clarification on this, lets hope for the best y'all
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The law calls it one. Agree, disagree it makes no difference. Run for congress and introduce a bill changing it.

I didn't like the 55 speed limit either. It being an offense less than a misdemeanor I ignored it as a rule. It was still the damn law. I paid many a damn fine for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So i went and sent a letter to the atf technology branch for clarification on this, lets hope for the best y'all
View Quote

Good luck.

I doubt it though.

Honest to god I don't see the difference between a muffler for my car and one for my gun. The law sure does though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Aren't the oil filter adapters essentially an 80% suppressor?  You buy the adapter, form a trust, send off your $200, and engrave your oil filter.  First time you pull the trigger you've created a suppressor.

The only catch is, when your oil filter wears out, it's another $200 to engrave a new oil filter @ home.  An SOT can do so, and will charge a fee for the service.  So unless you have a tame SOT, the oil filter deal is a tax rape.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]
It could be Argued that a "golf-ball launcher" is an 80% suppressor. Way over sized, but it could be a base for you form 1 build.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Two suppresor

They exist. There is a reason open bolt semis are banned. There is a reason suppressor stacks are regulated. It was too easy for criminal types to get their hands on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two suppresor

I stand corrected. 2 out of how many? and both of those over 20 years old?  yep complete justification for restricting them

sure there is a reason open bolt semis are banned. the ATF is a an  organization designed to restrict our rights just think of how many times an actual registered full auto was used in a criminal act.  2 maybe 3?

there is not a single justification for suppressors being regulated by the ATF. none.    you say you don't agree with the law.  but you sure seem to be defending it pretty substantially.  

I wonder do you support the whole sale restriction on who can own a orange soda bottle and a roll of duct tape?  Because it is really, really easy for criminals to get those.  Do you realize how easily criminals get a hold cars.  Those are used by criminals all the time. better restrict them.  you know for safety.

What about those hobby lathes? a mild mannered wannabe machinist with a little reading could all of the sudden become a horrible, evil murdering criminal.

Better start regulating muffler pipe and freeze plugs. not to mention oil filters

and yes I have an approved form one and a registered can to go with it.

oh the noes it is evil incarnate

look out evil inside

oh the horror, my eyes my eyes

criminals everywhere just waitng to kill, maim and destroy

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I having a feeling they will say no to your letter, but sending it in definitely can't do any harm so I look for ward to the results.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aren't the oil filter adapters essentially an 80% suppressor?  You buy the adapter, form a trust, send off your $200, and engrave your oil filter.  First time you pull the trigger you've created a suppressor.

The only catch is, when your oil filter wears out, it's another $200 to engrave a new oil filter @ home.  An SOT can do so, and will charge a fee for the service.  So unless you have a tame SOT, the oil filter deal is a tax rape.
View Quote

A smart individual or trust would have the adapter engraved, and replace the $3 oil filter whenever they wanted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Back in the day we would be at the abandoned sand pit shooting. Here would come some wannabe Rambo with his open bolt MAC 10. He would disable the disconnector and run FA. Rambo usually had an unregistered can as well.

Whether you agree with the law or not. It is still the law that carries a significant penalty.

Our day of shooting ended as we didn't want to be associated with this stupidity.  

Buy a stamp or contribute to a candidate that will try to repeal the NFA.  It is an infringement of our rights, but the courts don't agree.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A smart individual or trust would have the adapter engraved, and replace the $3 oil filter whenever they wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not how it works.  It has been tried and the ATF said no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cadiz gun works has the econo can and only charges 25 bucks for a replacement filter. 90 bucks or so for the filter and adaptor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cadiz gun works has the econo can and only charges 25 bucks for a replacement filter. 90 bucks or so for the filter and adaptor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you're better off w/ a real can pretty quickly.  That's not counting postage of your adapter being mailed to them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I stand corrected. 2 out of how many? and both of those over 20 years old?  yep complete justification for restricting them

sure there is a reason open bolt semis are banned. the ATF is a an  organization designed to restrict our rights just think of how many times an actual registered full auto was used in a criminal act.  2 maybe 3?

there is not a single justification for suppressors being regulated by the ATF. none.    you say you don't agree with the law.  but you sure seem to be defending it pretty substantially.  

I wonder do you support the whole sale restriction on who can own a orange soda bottle and a roll of duct tape?  Because it is really, really easy for criminals to get those.  Do you realize how easily criminals get a hold cars.  Those are used by criminals all the time. better restrict them.  you know for safety.

What about those hobby lathes? a mild mannered wannabe machinist with a little reading could all of the sudden become a horrible, evil murdering criminal.

Better start regulating muffler pipe and freeze plugs. not to mention oil filters

look out evil inside

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two suppresor

look out evil inside

I know this is not what you want to hear. But the BATFE is not the sole source of the problem or the sole source of any regulations plaguing us for the last 80 years. By the time the ATF came along the National Firearms Act was law for 38 years. Way back in 1934 there was rampant crime being committed with readily available off the shelf machine guns. Basically we all got screwed over by bank robbers and the mafia. It is just easier to blame it all on the ATF.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good luck.

I doubt it though.

Honest to god I don't see the difference between a muffler for my car and one for my gun. The law sure does though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I doubt it though.

Weight, size , reducers to bring it down to size of barrel, and ability to place it in a rifle carry case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
   Way back in 1934 there was rampant crime being committed with readily available off the shelf machine guns. Basically we all got screwed over by bank robbers and the mafia.
View Quote

While your statement is true, a lot of those machine guns were taken off the shelf of the local National Guard Armory, or from a police department.

Some were purchased, and purchased legally, then used to commit crimes.

But many were stolen from gov't/LE.

At least 1 Maxim was offered for sale mail order during that time, as I remember seeing the classified ad in the back of an early 30s American Rifleman.

Yet, I don't remember of any belt fed machine guns being used to commit crimes during that time period.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Suppressors and silencers should be on the retail shelf, right next to the ear plugs.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know this is not what you want to hear. But the BATFE is not the sole source of the problem or the sole source of any regulations plaguing us for the last 80 years. By the time the ATF came along the National Firearms Act was law for 38 years. Way back in 1934 there was rampant crime being committed with readily available off the shelf machine guns. Basically we all got screwed over by bank robbers and the mafia. It is just easier to blame it all on the ATF.

View Quote

I am fully aware of the bogus things the congress and the president used to justify the NFA in 1934.  problem is I can't vote against any of them.  they're dead.

and Rex Davis died in 2008
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Suppressors and silencers should be on the retail shelf, right next to the ear plugs.

Best,
JBR
View Quote

They're the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And thank God!  Otherwise we would live in a world with 82 shootings over 4th of July weekend!  In Chicago alone!

The NFA has not stopped or hindered criminals.

The ATF has not stopped or hindered criminals.  They have, in fact, facilitated criminal organizations illegal acquisition of firearms.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#33]
The ATF has both stopped and hindered criminals. But at the same time they have supplied weapons to organizations that they should not have. The biggest problem with the ATF is the top slots are filled with political appointees and anti-gunners. All the field level guys I have met have been cool. Not apologizing for all their actions in the past, but everyone should realize that the good far outnumber the bad.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The ATF has both stopped and hindered criminals. But at the same time they have supplied weapons to organizations that they should not have. The biggest problem with the ATF is the top slots are filled with political appointees and anti-gunners. All the field level guys I have met have been cool. Not apologizing for all their actions in the past, but everyone should realize that the good far outnumber the bad.
View Quote

And that's the truth
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#35]
So, the atf responded that having any parts of a silencer constitutes having a silencer..

so i guess that means have that solid lump of titanium that i plan to turn into baffles constitutes me having a silencer.

i think they didn't understand what i said, oh wells.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So, the atf responded that having any parts of a silencer constitutes having a silencer..

so i guess that means have that solid lump of titanium that i plan to turn into baffles constitutes me having a silencer.

i think they didn't understand what i said, oh wells.

View Quote

Their answer is the same position that they have always taken, namely a silencer part is a silencer.

Really you need to ask a different question, specifically at what point does a lump of metal become a silencer part.

I'd expect that their answer would be that they can't answer that because of too many variables and for you to send them drawings / plans / a better description of the item you want them to classify.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top