Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 6:24:20 PM EDT
ammo is so damm dirt cheap; proaly end up with M44 or similar, but besides sporterizing
a Mosin, is there a factory gun (read affordable) that shoots that boolit?  

would dig a dragnouv or clone if they weren't +$1200

looking to plink, shoot 400-600yds and just have fun with cheap ammo I don't have to worry about reloading,,,,,
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
SVT maybe?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester made one.  Some time back.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Something made in Russia, however last week would have been the time to buy it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
No. Mosin Nagant is the only affordable one. No other country developed a rifle to fire that cartridge other than Russia. There are very few factory sporters chambered in that cartridge due to most countries outside the US outlawing commercial firearms chambered in military calibers. You could maybe look for a Romanian PSL that is basically a huge AK chambered in the caliber, but you will get better accuracy out of a Mosin PU Sniper, that you can buy right now from Aim for less than $600.

There is also a VEPR chambered in it, but it's essentially the same as a PSL... huge AK.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies; i guess I just like looking for
the hard way to do things;

how much accuracy diffrence is there from an M91 to a 44,
same shooter/same ammo?

Say out to 500 yds. w/irons?

what's the closest caliber it compares for recoil? .308 or /06?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Finn M39.  Still a mosin, but way better than most. (not my pic)

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not a bolt gun, but if those stocks of Winchester 1985 rifles chambered in 7.62x54 ever find their way out of Russia ( fat chance now), there is another alternative
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard (internet rumor) that it's a pretty simple job to rechamber an Enfield (.303 Brit) to 7.62x54R. Never looked into actually doing it, just remember I read it on a forum once that it would work.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Mosin Nagant is the only affordable one. No other country developed a rifle to fire that cartridge other than Russia. There are very few factory sporters chambered in that cartridge due to most countries outside the US outlawing commercial firearms chambered in military calibers. You could maybe look for a Romanian PSL that is basically a huge AK chambered in the caliber, but you will get better accuracy out of a Mosin PU Sniper, that you can buy right now from Aim for less than $600.

There is also a VEPR chambered in it, but it's essentially the same as a PSL... huge AK.
View Quote

Ahem.  I've already mentioned the Winchester.  It's the Model 1895.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#11]
There was a rumor from another site that Century Arms would be importing Zastava's M07 Match rifle to the U.S. in the near future, but I haven't heard any news about since December.

If they ever do bring them in, I'm definitely getting one in 7.62x54r.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m07
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not a bolt gun, but if those stocks of Winchester 1985 rifles chambered in 7.62x54 ever find their way out of Russia ( fat chance now), there is another alternative
View Quote

Actually I know where there is one for sale.  It is in damn near mint condition too.  There are only 5,000 reasons that I don't have it in my possession now.  

Heavy sucker too.  Looks like it just came out of the box.  It belongs to the two daughters of a man who fled Russia just after the revolution.  He was issued it in WWI  because he was a security guard at a factory or something like that.  At least that is the story behind it.

There are some Finnish M28-76 rifles floating around out there.  These were used as sniper training rifles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Back when you could take your issue weapon home and keep it.............5,000 reasons would probably keep me from owning one as well. But if someday they release those kept in Russia, I would probably buy one as well

Quoted:

Actually I know where there is one for sale.  It is in damn near mint condition too.  There are only 5,000 reasons that I don't have it in my possession now.  

Heavy sucker too.  Looks like it just came out of the box.  It belongs to the two daughters of a man who fled Russia just after the revolution.  He was issued it in WWI  because he was a security guard at a factory or something like that.  At least that is the story behind it.

There are some Finnish M28-76 rifles floating around out there.  These were used as sniper training rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There was a rumor from another site that Century Arms would be importing Zastava's M07 Match rifle to the U.S. in the near future, but I haven't heard any news about since December.

If they ever do bring them in, I'm definitely getting one in 7.62x54r.

View Quote

I would love to pick one of those up. Did Century ever import these?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a bolt but here is a pic of a NEF handy rifle that was 308 and rechambered to 54r.

Linky
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said bolt gun, and a Rusian Contract Winchester 1895 is not something you will be putting rounds through regularly. The actions are not known for their durability.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Still kicking myself for not grabbing one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd check the CZ catalog out.

I would put money down that they make it, but I wouldn't put money down that it's imported to the US. Maybe.  

I know for a fact they make a 6.5x55 because I want one.

Oh and they're not cheap but sub $1k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top