Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2014 10:14:03 AM EDT
My step Dad just passed away and he has an older sporterized mauser that has a weaver K-4 on it.  I took my first deer with that rifle and one other and I will probably try to keep it in the family.  But my Mom might also need money as the doctor bills were kind of large leading up to his departure.  So I'm trying to figure out the best avenue for this weapon.  And knowing if those K-4's are worth a mint or not will help.  

The rifle itself looks professionally done and is nice.  And very accurate, but I don't think it's worth much.  But the scope on the other hand.......
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My step Dad just passed away and he has an older sporterized mauser that has a weaver K-4 on it.  I took my first deer with that rifle and one other and I will probably try to keep it in the family.  But my Mom might also need money as the doctor bills were kind of large leading up to his departure.  So I'm trying to figure out the best avenue for this weapon.  And knowing if those K-4's are worth a mint or not will help.  

The rifle itself looks professionally done and is nice.  And very accurate, but I don't think it's worth much.  But the scope on the other hand.......
View Quote

I typically see them at the gun shows running from $80-$200 depending on the vintage, condition, etc. Some people ask STUPID prices, and some are more reasonable. Do a little web research to see if your scope has some non-typical features or markings that might make it more valuable than an every day Weaver.

I am a big fan of Weaver K-4s as an all-around, general purpose scope. My .270, 30-06, 7x57 Mauser, 22 Hornet all have K-4s. Simple, utterly dependable, very little to go bad, break. I have killed game from 20-300 yards with  4 power scopes. There are not many typical shooters who can really shoot better than the scope's ability to bring the target into view. For target shooting, that's a whole different matter. jmtcw
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it for a lot of stuff.  I didn't always like it for deer hunting though.  I did a lot of walking and in thick stuff and a 4 power was just too much at times.  I missed some opportunities close up trying to get it in my scope.  Although I was younger and I don't quite recall if I'd try to keep both eyes open.   I did use a .30-30 and a .35 lever quite a bit though and bagged some with them.  But whatever...  

Thanks for the advice.  I'm liking the fact that if I try to keep that rifle, I won't feel bad if I'm not giving my Mom large sums of money because the scope might be worth more on the open market.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
They are good, rugged, well-made scopes.  They are not something of great value, because there are so many of them out there.  By today's standards, they are a little dim, because lens coatings have improved so much.  I have four.K-4s, all steel tube, El Paso originals, a K-1 with Lee Dot, a K-2.5, a V2-7, and V4-12, all El Paso.  They belong on period correct vintage rifles, which are where mine are.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really worth anything more than $100 in exc condition. The post versions are usually on the high end.

I've picked up several K2.5 scopes for $30.

Also, modern scopes have better glass, adjustments, and light transmission.
View Quote

It's just a crosshair.  No deviation in thickness, that I recall.  Just a thin line horizontal and vertical.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Would look good on top of a A1 carry handle, eh?  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?  That's just all wrong.  A russian scope on a retro black rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top