Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 11:05:25 AM EDT
Got a sig tac brace on a AR15 pistol...works great in my opinion. But was wondering...what about adding a brace to other firearms? I have seem them added to AK pistols....but was wondering if I could legally throw one on a gsg5 pistol if I modified the rear of the pistol to accept it...?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as it's intended as a brace and still functions as a brace it's just a brace.

I believe someone has written a letter asking about the brace on sub 18" barreled 12guage "other" firearms.  In that case because the bore is over .5" the ATF could decide it's a non sporting firearm and should be a DD.  At least that's my understanding.  Hopefully the ATF will have the same opinion they currently hold on "other" 12ga firearms with factory pistol grips and length over 26" - it's not a shotgun and not regulated.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Mac at Military Arms Channel added one to an MP5 clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzJKF90k0w
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like that..............I am thinking of getting one like that and adding the brace

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mac at Military Arms Channel added one to an MP5 clone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzJKF90k0w
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As long as it's intended as a brace and still functions as a brace it's just a brace.

I believe someone has written a letter asking about the brace on sub 18" barreled 12guage "other" firearms.  In that case because the bore is over .5" the ATF could decide it's a non sporting firearm and should be a DD.  At least that's my understanding.  Hopefully the ATF will have the same opinion they currently hold on "other" 12ga firearms with factory pistol grips and length over 26" - it's not a shotgun and not regulated.

View Quote

If it doesn't turn a pistol into a rifle why would it turn a firearm into a DD?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The applicable definition of a Destructive Device is:

• For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term "Destructive Device” means:

A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.

Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.

A combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a device into a destructive device and from which a destructive device can be readily assembled.

• Exemptions:

• A shotgun or shotgun shell which is determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.

• a device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon,

• a device which is designed or redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device,

• surplus ordnance sold, loaded, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to law such as antique, obsolete bronze or iron cannon,

• a device which the Attorney General determines is not likely to be used as a weapon.

• An antique firearm, or

• a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.

• The default status for a firearm with with a bore over .5 is a DD, shotguns that are suitable to sporting purposes are exempted.  A 12ga that was not designed to be fired from the shoulder does not meet the legal definition of a shotgun.  As such the firearm doesn't necessarily meet the carved out exemption from DD status.

For reference here is the legal definition of a shotgun.

• (5) The term "shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top