Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 6:44:23 AM EDT
I am going to get a rifle soon and I can't decide between building a PSA AR or buying a WASR-10 from Atlantic. The rifles I already have are a 10/22 and a Henry .22 lever action. I was leaning towards the AK for the cheap ammo, but this gun would be used for HD so I like the AR for the ease of mounting a light. One last question, if I do build the AR, should I get a midlength or mock dissy upper? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am going to get a rifle soon and I can't decide between building a PSA AR or buying a WASR-10 from Atlantic. The rifles I already have are a 10/22 and a Henry .22 lever action. I was leaning towards the AK for the cheap ammo, but this gun would be used for HD so I like the AR for the ease of mounting a light. One last question, if I do build the AR, should I get a midlength or mock dissy upper? Thanks.
View Quote

AR.  AK's are about to be expensive due to the import ban announced yesterday.  AR's a better rifle anyway.

I love midlength ARs myself.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Get an AK
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Are the PSA Freedom stainless barreled uppers GTG? They have a midlength Freedom Rifle Kit for 430.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
buy an arsenal AK now and sell it later for a huge profit then build an amazing AR
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy an arsenal AK now and sell it later for a huge profit then build an amazing AR
View Quote

Not looking to spend that much, want to keep it under around $700.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

AR.  AK's are about to be expensive due to the import ban announced yesterday.  AR's a better rifle anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get real. The ban was on one company who happens to import Saigas. There are 4-5 mfg in the US making AK's off parts kits, which will still be available. Stop the panic propaganda.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy an AR. they're running $599-699 as of today.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup screw the AK just looked at arsenal rifles and if they're in stock they're $1300
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
As much as I like AKs, I would get the AR first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As much as I like AKs, I would get the AR first.
View Quote

This.  As much as I love my AKMs I'd get the AR first.  More accessories available to fit your hd requirements plus if you learn service type rifles on the AR it will make you appreciate the simplicity of the AK when you do get one, I did.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I say cough up the extra money. Arsenal AKs are going to become collector's items in the future.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#12]
CENTERFIRE has Saigas, and other AK's starting @ $599, as of 10 this morning.  The 12gs with fixed stocks are still under $1K
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go with the AR myself, I am just a sucker for the 223 round.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a PWS Mk1 series rifle and get the best of both worlds.  I have shot many different AR's, and have owned many as well, but I will never get rid of my PWS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Build a mid-length AR.

I own (several of) both.  AKs are really fun to shoot.  ARs can be pretty amazing in terms of accuracy.

ARs are really inexpensive right now -- compared to recent, historical standards.  AKs are hideously expensive right now.

People used to buy AKs because they were a lot of bang for the buck.  Not so theses days.

I like my mid-length AR the best of the several I've assembled.  It is very handy (like a carbine) and very reliable (like a rifle).
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#16]
The AR15 is more versatile, so that's what I went with.  Keep in mind that with limited funds you'll end up getting locked into a platform for a little while (ammo, mags, spare parts).

If I had to do it again I'd have gotten an AK first.  They are just way too fun to shoot and they work well with steel cased ammo.  For everything else though (defense, hunting, target shooting) the AR15 is probably a better choice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I like AKs more, that's my vote
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both. AK ammo is still cheaper than AR stuff although the price is falling on 5,56.  Magazines are cheaper for the AR than the AK right now.  The AR is easier to mount optics on.

With the AR you'll have resist the ARFCOM brainwashing to buy optics, Geisele trigger, ambi charging handle, etc.  I was weak and spent the money on after market stuff.  

You can always just flip a coin.  Both are worth owning.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Between those two choices i would say AR.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer ak but you will be better off building an ar now considering how
Cheap parts are.

Btw do a midlength build. The dissy is a carbine length gas with
rifle length sight radius. Really no point to a dissy in this age

If you want rifle length sight radius just use longer hand rails.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cheap parts are.

View Quote

Not correct.

A dissipator "dissy" is a carbine length barrel with a rifle length gas system and rifle length sight radius.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not correct.

A dissipator "dissy" is a carbine length barrel with a rifle length gas system and rifle length sight radius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap parts are.

Not correct.

There have been dissipators produced that have used all three lengths of gas systems.  Most that I have seen use a carbine or midlength gas system.  From my understanding only a few companies have used a rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There have been dissipators produced that have used all three lengths of gas systems.  Most that I have seen use a carbine or midlength gas system.  From my understanding only a few companies have used a rifle length gas system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap parts are.

Not correct.

True, but that does not make them a true "Dissipator" as it was originally meant to be.  Those others are simply "mock" Dissipators because they have simply moved the sight more forward to allow a longer radius.  What do you think the term "Dissipator" means?  A clue:  Dissipation from merriam-webster.com: the process of slowly disappearing or becoming less.  

The term is used to denote the dissipation of gas through a rifle length gas system, thereby diminishing the amount of felt recoil.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I too would get the AR right now, prices are really low.  Then get the AK later on down the road.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I have owned many of each and vote AR.  For all the reasons already posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top