Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 6:33:43 AM EDT
I have a 308 build in mind, but I'm thinking of just scratching it and buying a Scar 17. Not sure what so do as the price will be really similar by the end of it and I'm only into it the receiver, rail, and lpk. Parts I will use:
SI defense matched set
Centurion cmr rail
Legion hex barrel
Raptor charging handle
Car-10 buffer system w/ pws buffer tube
Surefire muzzle brake
Geiselle trigger ssa-e
Arms unlimited nib bcg

After all said and done will end up being about $2800 before optic. Got quoted 2850 for a Cali legal scar if I pay cash, but that not including tax and dros. So that would end up being around $3100 with a stock trigger which I would def replace. Is it worth it to buy a scar or should I stick with the build? I don't see how the build wouldn't be as light, more accurate, and seemingly just as reliable. Is it worth it to just by the scar?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the SCAR 17 looked really good.  But our small arms replacement project here got hold of a couple, and after exhaustive testing recommended the LMT MWS instead, hands down.
View Quote

what kind of testing?
View Quote

I do not have all the detail on exactly what the testing involved, but from what I have seen of the project team on other tests, they really put rifles through their paces.  I know they had it for a few months, out on several live field firing exercises, and of course considerable range time.

What I perhaps should have made clear was that what they were looking for was a Designated Marksman's Rifle for  500+ metres - not a general issue rifle, and for that purpose the LMT came out on top. For other purposes who knows?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big fan of the 17s personally. I hope to add one to the stable in the future.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Build.

That rifle setup sounds pretty good really so go with that one.

You'll be able to use 308 Pmags with the SI Defense parts, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Tough choice, get both.
Two trains of thought though. The scar will come ready to go factory tested you'll just need to zero the irons/optic.
The build you might have to do some tweaking and trouble shooting if you have a gas problem, now some folks might get annoyed at this other who just love to tinker and tackle problems might enjoy that sorta mechanical problem. You'll def get more satisfaction from building your own rifle especially with good quality parts like you listed but if your goal is just to get out there and sling lead ASAP the scar is the way to go.

Either way you will end up with a solid boom stick
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get the SCAR-17 for the reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Build it yourself. You will build a better rifle then a scar and it will be just how you like it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Get this.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much what's making it so tough is that I already have two AR platforms, so a third may be too redundant not to mention having three ARs to clean would be too much.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have weight concerns?  The SCAR will end up being lighter than most 308 AR builds it seems to me.  Also it seems like most people don't regard anything in large frame AR's other than an SR-25 as "battle" worthy.  I don't have the experience to determine this myself, and I only have a DPMS Recon to test with.  I'm struggling with this same question myself basically, except I already have the LR308, but debating selling it for a SCAR.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you have weight concerns?  The SCAR will end up being lighter than most 308 AR builds it seems to me.  Also it seems like most people don't regard anything in large frame AR's other than an SR-25 as "battle" worthy.  I don't have the experience to determine this myself, and I only have a DPMS Recon to test with.  I'm struggling with this same question myself basically, except I already have the LR308, but debating selling it for a SCAR.
View Quote

I think the build will be just as light with the rail and hex fluted barrel. Scar is def battle tested which is a win there, but I don't see the build being unreliable either considering it's quality parts and will use whatever buffer legion recommends with their barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the SCAR 17s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just about to pull the trigger on an FDE SCAR 17s a few months ago, but ultimately went with an LMT MWSE.

The SCAR felt really cheap to me. I know they've been around the block once or twice, so it was likely a mute concern, but I can't stress enough, it felt really cheap to me.

That combined with their incompatibility with PMAGs made going another route an easy choice for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought the SCAR 17 looked really good.  But our small arms replacement project here got hold of a couple, and after exhaustive testing recommended the LMT MWS instead, hands down.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

what kind of testing?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I was an early scar 17 adopter, loved it then and even more now with a couple cases of ammo through it.  Never once has this gun failed to go bang, the two 308 AR's i had before it were not even close to its reliability.  If i ever go broke it will be the last rifle to leave my safe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was an early scar 17 adopter, loved it then and even more now with a couple cases of ammo through it.  Never once has this gun failed to go bang, the two 308 AR's i had before it were not even close to its reliability.  If i ever go broke it will be the last rifle to leave my safe.
View Quote

Agreed, I build the hell out of AR15's.  But the AR in 308 has never appealed to me.  After buying a SCAR17 I left my M1As and FAL locked up with the parents back home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Honestly if I had the cash to buy a SCAR 17, I would.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I would like t complicate matters further by tossing in the DPMS Gen 2 Recon and AP4 into the mix. Light and accurate according to user reviews
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would like t complicate matters further by tossing in the DPMS Gen 2 Recon and AP4 into the mix. Light and accurate according to user reviews
View Quote

No! It's tough enough
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't have one (yet) but my vote would be to buy the 17.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a scar and built a 308 on a mega with a lightweight 16 inch barrel and a
Cmr rail. It is still heavier than a scar BUT if you use a lightweight carrier and
an adj gas block you can get it to have slightly less recoil than a scar17.

Btw don't get the cmr rail. It sucks. You have to mill out the barrel nut if you use a
Rainer barrel and uses friction alone to hold onto the barrel nut. Uses the
Gas tube to keep from rotating as well
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a scar and built a 308 on a mega with a lightweight 16 inch barrel and a
Cmr rail. It is still heavier than a scar BUT if you use a lightweight carrier and
an adj gas block you can get it to have slightly less recoil than a scar17.

Btw don't get the cmr rail. It sucks. You have to mill out the barrel nut if you use a
Rainer barrel and uses friction alone to hold onto the barrel nut. Uses the
Gas tube to keep from rotating as well
View Quote

Hmm very interesting.  Ya i am definitely leaning towards the scar, but the build with the hex barrel seems so lightweight and accurate.  Thats too bad about the CMR.  I thought there were anti rotating tabs that you install with it like on the KMR keymod rail by bcd
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I did my best to upgrade an Armalite AR10 and it still did not compare, the SCAR is the best all around .308 on the market IMO.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Have a Scar 17 and a M&P 10. Like the M&P 10 ALOT, but at the end of the day, if push came to shove, I'd grab the Scar.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Only one thing wrong with a SCAR17s, you always want another!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top