Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 6:33:19 AM EDT
Hello all,

Not sure this is the right place to be asking this, so feel free to move it to the right area.

I am looking to sell one of my custom built ARs and am not sure what a fair asking price would be.

Here are the specs:

Rifle Receiver Extension
Rifle Length Buffer
PSA Hammer-Forged Rifle-Length SS15G2 Premium - 20" Stripped Railed Upper - w/o BCG or Charging Handle
Magpul PMAG M2 MOE Magazine AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round Black (2)
Magpul PRS Buttstock
SAA Stripped Lower Receiver
Brownells AR-15 A2 Action Spring (CS)
High Standard Lower Parts Kit
Leapers UTG Model 4/15 Rifle Scope 4x20mm Mil-Dot Reticle with Carry Handle and Flat Top Mount
M16 Bolt Carrier Group
DPMS Charging Handle
Magpul MagLink Magazine Coupler

Barrel has a 5.56 NATO chamber and 1/7 twist rate.

Any guestimates as to what a fair asking price would be?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say $700. Due to the stock..

But, you could try a little over that by "asking for $800 shipped"

ETA: Unfortunately, frankenbuilds lower the price significantly. My advise, would be to consider parting it out, unless you're selling it locally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ETA: Unfortunately, frankenbuilds lower the price significantly. My advise, would be to consider parting it out, unless you're selling it locally.
View Quote

I think I forgot to mention that the railed fore end is a Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS-Series one piece free float handguard.

Would that up the price any?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I forgot to mention that the railed fore end is a Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS-Series one piece free float handguard.

View Quote

Yeah, I was about to ask what handguard. Being that you can get that one right around $100, I don't think it would increase it by much, but if you are really wanting to sell it as a whole, Then I would ask $850 shipped. Someone will more than likely haggle the price.

More people will be along to give you price suggestions soon. Then, just take whatever sounds the best. Good luck with your sale, man!

ETA: You just got to keep in mind, guys who know their brands, will know that they can get all PSA parts and come out for around $400-$600 brand new. That can make it tough if you're selling it on here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, I was about to ask what handguard. Being that you can get that one right around $100, I don't think it would increase it by much, but if you are really wanting to sell it as a whole, Then I would ask $850 shipped. Someone will more than likely haggle the price.

More people will be along to give you price suggestions soon. Then, just take whatever sounds the best. Good luck with your sale, man!

ETA: You just got to keep in mind, guys who know their brands, will know that they can get all PSA parts and come out for around $400-$600 brand new. That can make it tough if you're selling it on here.
View Quote

Well, I was going to try to sell it at a gun show this weekend. So hopefully, I can sell to someone that does not know their brands.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Well, I was going to try to sell it at a gun show this weekend. So hopefully, I can sell to someone that does not know their brands.
View Quote

That's using your melon!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, gun show price?  $1500.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be nice, but I don't think anyone will bite at that price.

I'm kinda just trying to get the most out of it that I can feasibly. I put about $1200 into it, what can I get out?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm kinda just trying to get the most out of it that I can feasibly. I put about $1200 into it, what can I get out?
View Quote

Do you need the money now? If not then just wait until the next "ban scare" and then throw it on GB. That's the best way to find a sucker  buyer...

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Do you need the money now? If not then just wait until the next "ban scare" and then throw it on GB. That's the best way to find a sucker  buyer...

View Quote

Not that I need the money now, but I need space to add some variety to my collection.

Besides, don't all gun shows have suckers buyers walking around anyway? LOL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
You'd be lucky to get $400-500 from someone who knows something about AR's.  You can get more from a rube.  Try selling it on Armslist or something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Or wait until the next panic, honestly waiting until the next panic is the best time to sell ARs as you can usually ask double or triple their value and newbs will climb over each other to hand you the money, then in 6 months when the panic ends you can buy new ARs at bargain basement prices. Right now ARs are at bargain basement prices.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The bottom has dropped out of the AR market.  It is flooded with slightly used panic guns.  New lowers can be had for as little as $50.  Not to bust your bubble but there's nothing terribly remarkable about your build.  $600 on a good day.  Maybe, and I really emphasize maybe, $700. The problem with custom builds is you built it to your specs.  Those specs may or may not be what the buyer is looking for.  

For the last six months, maybe more like a year, the gun show dealers have AR's stacked to the ceiling.  They're not moving at any price.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bottom has dropped out of the AR market.  It is flooded with slightly used panic guns.  New lowers can be had for as little as $50.  Not to bust your bubble but there's nothing terribly remarkable about your build.  $600 on a good day.  Maybe, and I really emphasize maybe, $700. The problem with custom builds is you built it to your specs.  Those specs may or may not be what the buyer is looking for.  

For the last six months, maybe more like a year, the gun show dealers have AR's stacked to the ceiling.  They're not moving at any price.
View Quote

my experience is that the gun show dealers won't come down on their prices even if someone at the next table is selling the same thing for half the price.  i still see wasr's with $1000 price tags on them, but when i ask what their bottom line is its usually somewhere around $950. i don't feel bad for those turds getting stuck with inventory they can't move, but i'm sure they'll still have some left to sell during the next panic.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
At the last gun show I went to, there were new ARs piled high for $700 or less. I would guess that the 20" barrel will make yours hard to sell.

I would walk around the show with the rifle slung without a price tag. Let the suckers buyers make offers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

my experience is that the gun show dealers won't come down on their prices even if someone at the next table is selling the same thing for half the price.  i still see wasr's with $1000 price tags on them, but when i ask what their bottom line is its usually somewhere around $950. i don't feel bad for those turds getting stuck with inventory they can't move, but i'm sure they'll still have some left to sell during the next panic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never found a point to ask someone what their bottom line pricing is, and never made sense to me to be asked. OF COURSE they're not going to tell you the real lowest price they'd take, because, that is the price you would ask. Hell, I wouldn't tell you either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At the last gun show I went to, there were new ARs piled high for $700 or less. I would guess that the 20" barrel will make yours hard to sell.

I would walk around the show with the rifle slung without a price tag. Let the suckers buyers make offers.
View Quote

That was my plan. But if I can't sell it there, one of the guys at work said he'd buy if I still had it lying around in about three months. So, I guess I win no matter how it goes at the show.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never found a point to ask someone what their bottom line pricing is, and never made sense to me to be asked. OF COURSE they're not going to tell you the real lowest price they'd take, because, that is the price you would ask. Hell, I wouldn't tell you either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't really hold it against any of the ones selling high. They need to make back what the had to pay the distributor to get the gun in their shop. Usually, the high prices are because they had to pay high during the panic to get the guns in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was my plan. But if I can't sell it there, one of the guys at work said he'd buy if I still had it lying around in about three months. So, I guess I win no matter how it goes at the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you and him mention anything about price?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of. I told him what I put into it and then gave him a price range that I would be willing to sell at. He just can't buy right now due to prior financial obligations.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shows in Iowa are still very competitve.  There are two or three major dealers that work the circuit and keep prices reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have too much info . Who cares what charging handle and spring kit is in there. The more info the quicker you lose a potential sale. It's an AR, not war & peace. Here's the gun here's the price, end of story. The cosmetics you have on there, will get a few gawkers at the show. ESPECIALLY if you price it competitively against the ones on dealer tables. Throw in a mag and 1 box of ammo it should sell for $750-900, at the show. IF NOT part it out.
Complete upper with BCG $500 delivered
Complete Lower w/ magpul stock $350, w/out stock $300 delivered.
Make them want to buy it. Be firm on price, ...............but let them know there's always wiggle room for a serious buyer, not some finger fuk, tire kicker.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sort of. I told him what I put into it and then gave him a price range that I would be willing to sell at. He just can't buy right now due to prior financial obligations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell your coworker you'll finance it for him. ONLY increase the selling price to cover a 3 month period. 30% down 2 more payments till paid off. He has 15 days after the end date, to seal the deal. IF not he looses any money paid. He doesn't get the rifle till paid off, some folks do it bass ackwards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You have too much info . Who cares what charging handle and spring kit is in there. The more info the quicker you lose a potential sale. It's an AR, not war & peace. Here's the gun here's the price, end of story. The cosmetics you have on there, will get a few gawkers at the show. ESPECIALLY if you price it competitively against the ones on dealer tables. Throw in a mag and 1 box of ammo it should sell for $750-900, at the show. IF NOT part it out.
Make them want to buy it. Be firm on price, ...............but let them know there's always wiggle room for a serious buyer, not some finger fuk, tire kicker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I realize that was too much info. I was copying from the parts list I have from when I was building it.

I already including two mags coupled already, but I didn't think of adding ammo. That's a good idea, I'll have to look and see what I got to give.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top