Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2014 6:37:49 PM EDT
Im on the fence between a Keltec SU-16 C and a Saiga AK.  What are your guys thoughts on these two as far as being a truck gun.  

FYI this is for trips to CA so I dont need other weapon suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Find something better.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the 2 I would choose the saiga.  Really not much to go wrong with one.  I have no experience with the keltec but do own a saiga in 5.45.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
AK all the way!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AK all the way!
View Quote

Saiga definitely. AK quality with a shitty stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an AR, but of your two options I would probably go with the Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Find something better.

View Quote

This is a truck gun.  So cheap is kinda the name of the game.  My Colt 6940 is not going to be a truck gun.  

$500 price range puts me in the territory of these two.  Ideally I would just use my AK pistol BUT thats not a legal choice in CA.... so Im making the best of a crappy situation.

And yes I know TECHNICALLY an AK pistol is legal but it has to be SSE'ed and it needs a bullet button and to be rendered practically useless therefore, not an option for me.  

Back to these 2 guns.  I read good reviews of the Keltec which surprises me as I always thought they were pure junk.  Apparently their rifles are more reliable than their pistols.  And the Saiga... well its an AK.  Great reputation.  I'd like a VEPR even more but that brings me up a few hundred and again, this is a truck gun so I dont wanna lose too much if I get my car broken into.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't cheap out on your life, it's not worth it and it's not worth it to the ones who depend on you.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you stuck on a rifle?  I have a Stevens 520 riot takedown 12ga in my truck.  5+1 of 00.  Not totally sure but I think that would be CA legal and doesn't have the "evil ban features" but still packs a helluva punch out to 50yds.

If you just have to have a rifle consider an '94 Winchester, a M1 carbine w/10rd mags or an SKS Paratrooper.  Since I don't have to deal with ban states when I road trip I carry my AKM or AR with me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd just go with a .223 bolt gun. Better accuracy than both of your other options and no real reliability issues.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Saiga

if saiga doesnt pan out, then go with a lever action.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Saiga

View Quote

This!
200.00 marlin 30-30 is my choice but of the two listed saiga for sure
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Gonna go with the Saiga.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saiga

This!

I use either a Mosin M38 or a No4MKI SMLE.  If they can survive WWII they can deal with anything I can dish out.

I see the OP made the correct choice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a lot of issue with a Kel Tec SU 16B....so be careful
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saiga

This!

Where do you find $200 lever guns anymore?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AK all the way!

Buy a 5.56 and convert it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I know you weren't wanting suggestions, but Ive always viewed the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle as the perfect truck gun. Box magazine fed bolt action rifle in .308 with iron sights. Short, lightweight, hard hitting, durable, and reliable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
How about a remington or mossberg shotgun? dead nuts reliable, and your not out a large sum of money when someone breaks into your vehicle. If you want a rifle, then I agree with a lever gun
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I build a Mosin from spare parts for a truck gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saiga

This!

Cheapest I was finding USED was $475 and that price point puts me within spittin distance of the Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I know you aren't asking for suggestions, but I think there are better choices foir less money.

I went with an Ishapore 2A1. Paid $300 for it and trained with it to make sure it was reliable. It has a 12 round magazine.

- It fires 7.62 NATO rounds. Because it has a gentle bolt action, It will also shoot .308 civilian ammunition with no danger of a slam-fire.

- All SMLE load from stripper clips. This is a very powerful feature that was once considered mandatory for a military rifle, but it's mostly a forgotten loading method these days. The original SMLE uses 5 round charger clips, but you can get 10 round (M-14) clips for the nato rounds and they fit the Ishapore perfectly.

- Once you get used to using clips, the 2A1 reloads very fast and the sustained rate of fire using clips and the Enfield action is excellent. While not as fast as an semi-automatic, it is still pretty good. With practice an average shooter can maintain 20 rounds per minute of accurate fire. You can shoot twice that fast for a short string. BTW, the speed record for a bolt action rifle is held by the SMLE.

- I am confident in their ability to hold their own in a gunfight. I can sustain well over 20 rounds per minute and hold every one within a E-silhouette target at 200 yards with absolute surety (I can't do very much better with an semi-automatic).

- It is very accurate. If you take your time and really aim, you can hit about anything you can see using only iron sights. Most of the models I have fired are around 1 MOA right from the arsenal, which is better than I can shoot. The sights are excellent and adjustable out to 800 meters (and that's no lie! It will reach out that far accurately enough to kill someone' in a few rounds if they don't take some serious cover.

- It's super tolerant of dirty or old ammunition. It always shoots.

- It's cheap to own a complete weapon system. You can still get one for around 300 bucks and since you don't have to buy scopes and rings to have a good weapon, there are no hidden costs. Clips are dirt-cheap and can be left loaded for eternity without damage. I suggest a shoulder bag to carry clips of ammunition. This is much cheaper than web gear and maybe more convenient and faster. You can use the money you save to buy more ammunition...you will need it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
LMFAO!  The choices were laid out and there are a dozen more suggested.  With that, I'll say get a Ruger red label over-under, cut it back to 18" and load one slug and one buck shot.  Don't forget a pic mount for an Aimpoint so you can make a 125 yd shot with the slug.  This will even make biden happy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
AR pistol with a sig brace, but from the two you listed the saiga
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I would go with an AK under folder. The rifle can fit in a .22 Cricket case and a cheap .30 cal ammo can can hold about six 30 round mags. Both could easily fit behind a pickup seat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saiga

This!

I got a 90 dollar marlin/glenfield .3030  at a pawn shop. even had a sling, scope rail, and an extended side hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top