Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2014 4:46:14 AM EDT
I just got my AR and playing around with the idea for home defense... I know a lot of people use them for home defense... but what makes you choose an AR-15? don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, to each their owns nd everyone has a different preference for protection. just wondering why the choice of an ar-15 over a pistol? i always thought over penetration would be an issue but am now wondering if its depending on the ammo? what about CQC or mongering around corners looking for a possible hidden home intruder with a 16 inch barrel on a gun? what works for you?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I am no expert in home defence by any stretch of the imagination, so take this as you will.

I have taught a lot of soldiers to shoot over the years and a pistol takes longer to really master than an AR15.  Good pistol shooting is a perishable skill - as I am finding out after a fairly lengthy hiatus - and I think something like an AR 15 is just easier to shoot effectively than a pistol if you are not putting in the time to keep yourself in practice.  Also - 20, 30 or more, round capacity is greater than any pistol I can think of.  Accessories/attachments - easier to attach a tactical light to an AR than most pistols.  This is also the one area where the pathological fear the media has tried to instil of the 'deadly assault rifle'  might actually work for you - more likely intimidate a home invader than a pistol?   Finally, while a pistol may certainly be easier to handle inside a house while you are "...mongering around corners looking for a possible hidden home intruder...", most articles I have read on home defence very specifically caution you against going looking for intruders in your home.  Most suggest instead  that you have a designated safe place to retreat to where you barricade yourself in with your family and wait for police.  If you adhere to this advice, the handiness of the pistol isn't necessarily as great an asset.  

Just my off -the-cuff thoughts on the subject.  Doubtless you will get others shortly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I think everything Dave said makes sense.
Technically, if you're truly afraid, you shouldn't be searching for trouble (but I still do because my balls are sometimes bigger than my brains).
Just barricade yourself and call the cops. Have that rifle ready and if someone is really that determined to get into the room you're in, you have 30+ rounds of Goodnight.

Personally, I keep a pistol in the bedside, but I've really been considering switching to a rifle.
At the end of the day, the only area where pistols really excel over rifles is portability, so just stay put (if you have little balls).
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got my AR and playing around with the idea for home defense... I know a lot of people use them for home defense... but what makes you choose an AR-15? don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, to each their owns nd everyone has a different preference for protection. just wondering why the choice of an ar-15 over a pistol? i always thought over penetration would be an issue but am now wondering if its depending on the ammo? what about CQC or mongering around corners looking for a possible hidden home intruder with a 16 inch barrel on a gun? what works for you?

thanks
View Quote

I thought I read somewhere that 9mm penetrates just as far as 5.56 in most cases for indoors shooting. I know that 9mm will go through a few walls at least.

I'd rather have a 30/40 round ar15 than a sub 20 round 9mm. Its jsut more firepower. Unless you absolutely need to go clearing rooms, I would avoid it. Lock your door and or sit at a kill box. Police get paid to clear rooms, you don't.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately in case of a home invasion at my home I must clear the house. My son would most likely be sleeping at the other end. So I would have to clear the entire house to get to him.  I have my AR my wife has a pistol. I have an open floor plan so clearing is really one room and then directly to my sons room. The dog sounds an alarm anyway before they even get in the house.  I think everybody has different needs and should think about what works for them. I dont go crazy about it but I run through scenarios in my head and have done one walk through from master bedroom to sons room. So yes I have an AR "under my pillow"

AL
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]
30 chances to end a violent attack is better than 15.  AR-15 is more efficient at stopping threats. Inherently more accurate. Over penetration has been proven to be no more of a threat than handgun/shotgun ammunition.  Handguns are convenient. They have their purpose.  It just happens to be to stay in the fight until you can get a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:08:46 AM EDT
[#6]
As much as I like AR's, a shotgun with an 18" barrel for home defense is still the best option. The ultimate point and shoot.

Your typical house with rooms in the 14'x14' sq. ft. size or so.... you won't miss.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As much as I like AR's, a shotgun with an 18" barrel for home defense is still the best option. The ultimate point and shoot.

Your typical house with rooms in the 14'x14' sq. ft. size or so.... you won't miss.
View Quote

+1

I have a Mossberg Persuader 18" right at my bedside with #4 shot
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

View Quote

Nothing over penetrates like buckshot. And you actually have to aim them.

Methinks some folks are playing too much COD.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes a short barreled 12 gage  (legal short of course) shot gun with buck shot, No aiming just point and shoot. Problely take out two with one shot if they are beside each other, or one is in front of the other.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
14' with buckshot and you won't miss,  ......  What's the pattern, 4" or so?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

View Quote

WRONG

The AR is the superior defense tool.
Larger capacity, ability to overcome lvl 3 body armor, faster reload, less chance to overpenatrate, lower recoil, faster followup shots,  the list goes on and on.
Pistols are to fight Your way to Your rifle, shotguns are for birds and clay bird representations.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would suggest you go to the range and check out how small the pattern is at 14 feet.  You will be amazed at how small it is at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes a short barreled 12 gage  (legal short of course) shot gun with buck shot, No aiming just point and shoot. Problely take out two with one shot if they are beside each other, or one is in front of the other.
View Quote

only 2?  Pfft, youll get at least 2 more in the house next door!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I would suggest you go to the range and check out how small the pattern is at 14 feet.  You will be amazed at how small it is at that distance.
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

This

View Quote

Quick question .... what pattern is smaller at 14' ?

5.56 millimeters or a 12 gauge regardless of choke.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

This

View Quote

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about shotguns. You Absolutly have to aim, 00buck will not spread out very far at all with that short of distance.

I keep my MP40 on my nightstand and my AR loaded in the corner, my room is at the other end of the house on the second floor. If I hear something going down I'm giving the MP to the wife and taking my ar while she calls LEO. I'm not going to be clearing my house.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WRONG

Larger capacity, ability to overcome lvl 3 body armor, faster reload, less chance to overpenatrate, lower recoil, faster followup shots,  the list goes on and on.
Pistols are to fight Your way to Your rifle, shotguns are for birds and clay bird representations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

WRONG

While all your facts have merit, home defense to me is not the Zombie Apocalypse but a more realistic crack head scenario or a smash and grab at 2:00 am. ie; one person, no body armor and no sense.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While all your facts have merit, home defense to me is not the Zombie Apocalypse but a more realistic crack head scenario or a smash and grab at 2:00 am. ie; one person, no body armor and no sense.
View Quote

You don't plan for what you think will happen, You plan for worst case.

Worst case is a gang of well armed and well equipped thugs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#19]
agree,  why a double barrel shotgun doesn't work. While unlikely, why handicap yourself? A glock with a high capacity mag is also not to bad if your into pistols or have ultra confined areas.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not only is that incorrect, but it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst case or realistic scenario? Realistic .... shotgun. Worst case ... bunker, claymores, trip flares,etc. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
For the average Joe Homeowner, with next to no firearms experience, a shotgun is still the best defense.

Most home break-ins are simple smash and grabs with the perp looking for simple and quick items like Computers, DVD Players, Cell Phones, the Piggy Bank,etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep two handguns and an AR loaded by my bed. A reliable AR is one of the most effective defensive weapons available on the market, thats why I keep one handy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you verified this on paper at varies ranges? A shotgun is not a claymore mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's hilarious, and so misleading to anyone who is new to firearms. You MUST aim a shotgun just like anything else, you can and will miss w/ a shotgun. Hang some cardboard and run some drills.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I think recoil is the best reason for ARs over shotguns for HD.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it depends on the geography of your home, and your definition of "defense".  I suggest whatever you are going to use, practice with it. And put a light on it.  I personally use a 12 gauge pump. 2 rounds of #6 and 3 magnum slugs. With a light attached.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's hilarious, and so misleading to anyone who is new to firearms. You MUST aim a shotgun just like anything else, you can and will miss w/ a shotgun. Hang some cardboard and run some drills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A man sized target at 10' , yea I'm  missing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah a shotgun makes it significantly less likely to miss because of the spread.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah a shotgun makes it significantly less likely to miss because of the spread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to a 5.56 mm ... OK.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT the last time this was argued (twice I believe was not too long ago)
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No not ok.

A 1"-3" spread makes a significant difference over .223" to you? At 10' that isn't likely to be the difference between hitting a vital area or not. Get real.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I would say a shotgun not because of the "spread" (which is fucking laughable and shows how few people have patterned their HD ammo at their various house ranges,)

But because double aught gives you the most ass per trigger pull. With a shoulder stock (because lol pistol grip HD guns) that gun aimed and fired at 15 feet or less will end somebody.

A double tap or more will do fine with an AR as well, but if you and a gunman are going to trade a shot or two, I would prefer mine to throw 9-18 rounds into him than two. I would also only use a semi auto.

I use an AR SBR, as I can leave it unloaded (kid) and get it running much faster than a shotgun.

Not to mention, my years and years and endless rounds through an AR, rather than a gun newbie looking for an HD piece.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#33]
If I understand you correctly, you're saying it's easier for Joe Homeowner to hit a hastily acquired  target at 10' with a single 5.56 than with a 12 gauge shell loaded with multiple projectiles ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If I understand you correctly, you're saying it's easier for Joe Homeowner to hit a hastily acquired  target at 10' with a single 5.56 than with a 12 gauge shell loaded with multiple projectiles ?
View Quote

No way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have you verified this on paper at varies ranges? A shotgun is not a claymore mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one that might as well be one. At 14' I'm willing to bet some of the buckshot WILL spread off-target, which is exactly why I do not use it for home defense.

It's an old 12ga that was cut down to riot gun size and has, essentially, no choke.

When I first patterned it, I was like "Holy shit!" I didn't exactly expect it to spread THAT much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#36]
AR is certainly a capable weapon.. but for home defense, a Pistol can be more practical in a few ways:

1) Its easier to call 911 one-handed while maintaining sights on target with a pistol than it is with a long arm (rifle or shotgun).  Drop your sights to fumble with a phone could be the opportunity your home invader needs.
2) long arms are easier to wrestle away than a pistol, there's simply more available gun to grab on. Pistols can be more easily held back in retention.
3) penetration of interior walls is usually a major concern with any firearm in a home defense situation.

As far as rifles go, I agree they're easier to use accurately with less skill.   However, its probably unlikely to need a full 30rd clip in a home defense situation, and the extra power (and penetration, and noise) are not needed in close quarters like they are at distance.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AR is certainly a capable weapon.. but for home defense, a Pistol can be more practical in a few ways:

1) Its easier to call 911 one-handed while maintaining sights on target with a pistol than it is with a long arm (rifle or shotgun).  Drop your sights to fumble with a phone could be the opportunity your home invader needs.
2) long arms are easier to wrestle away than a pistol, there's simply more available gun to grab on. Pistols can be more easily held back in retention.
3) penetration of interior walls is usually a major concern with any firearm in a home defense situation.

As far as rifles go, I agree they're easier to use accurately with less skill.   However, its probably unlikely to need a full 30rd clip in a home defense situation, and the extra power (and penetration, and noise) are not needed in close quarters like they are at distance.
View Quote

Number one is silly, and borderline stupid. Why would anyone clear their house with a handgun in one hand and a phone in the other? If you want to call the cops BEFORE you shoot an intruder, 911 on speaker phone will do the trick while you aim down a hallway.

Number two is again for clearing your house, and poorly. Rifles have many more points of contact for retention, as well as slings that can be donned even in PJs. Plus you can muzzle jab someone with much more force than hotting them with a pistol. How will someone grab a long gun from you in your bedroom, hallway etc.

If you care much about number three get a baseball bat. Three can be easily mitigated by identifying a response plan and utilizing channelization to minimize weapons bring discharged in an unsafe direction.

Do some reading about break ins. It's not like the movies. Nobody is fucking sneaking around ambushing homeowners my grabbing their shaky shotgun. Someone kicks in a door or smashes a window, swings in and tries to clear a house for people as quickly as possible before grabbing things of value OR grabs things of value before properly clearing the house for people.

Smash and grab, not splinter cell.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a very one dimension way of looking at it.

Say you were clearing a room and bad guy is in the room. You open the door, bad guy grabs the gun, you shoot then gun is temporary disarmed assuming its a semi auto and he it holding on to the slide. This is also not counting if you have it in 1 hand or two. if its held with 1, its very easy to disarm. Its basic physics. If held with two hands it still can be done by either turning it around or turning it around and breaking your finger.

Where as a rifle or shot gun using similar/same tactics, you will have 3 points of contacts making you still in full control his bad guy still tries to grab gun. And that's assuming you aren't slinged.

Granted not every thug knows how to disarm a handgun, but to assume they don't is foolish in nature.

To answer the OP currently my selection as follows to what order is my main line

Pistol: has the light that's what I got
AR: Just got so haven't had the time to get rail/light combo for it yet but when I do it will go to number 1
Shotgun: It was my main line of defense for quite a while but that's all I had. I still think there are a valid option but one needs to get to know patterning/distance down as well penetration tests to see what works best.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#39]
30 rounds at 3000 feet per second.  Discouragement in mechanical form.  
Bad guys might laugh at a pistol, they wont laugh at an AR....
I'll call 911 after the bad guy is hogtied and duct-taped.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm going to go with the AR also even if it is a sit and wait while LEO is on the way i want the most capacity i can handle and 30 rounds will do just fine. Also i can unload my AR alot faster than any shotgun and stay pretty close on target.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case I want my M-1 Garand loaded with M2 AP.

Advantages of an AR:

Much lower overpenetration compared to handguns or shotguns.  Especially true for heavier rounds that tend to turn sideways on impact and then break apart .
More rounds in a magazine compared to a shotgun or handgun.
More stable platform = more rounds on target compared to a handgun.

Advantage of a shotgun:
Massive single shot wound trauma.  9-12 pellets of 00 buck will "stop" an attacker far quicker than anything else.

Advantage of a handgun:
Maneuverability around corners.

The only real downside to an AR is that it is a high-pressure round.  You are very likely to suffer hearing damage if shooting one indoors.  This is less of a concern for a shotgun (14,000 PSI).

If someone breaks into my house at night, I'm grabbing the Mossberg.  There is nothing wrong with choosing an AR though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I know you've never patterned a shotgun?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Long gun> shotgun> sidearm,  always.

Anything that effectively perforates flesh will penetrate common  building materials.

Best tool for the job. If shotgun is all you have,  use it.  Having an AR or similar carbine and not using it is ignorant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Advantages of an AR:

Much lower overpenetration compared to handguns or shotguns.  Especially true for heavier rounds that tend to turn sideways on impact and then break apart .

Advantage of a shotgun:
Massive single shot wound trauma.  9-12 pellets of 00 buck will "stop" an attacker far quicker than anything else.

Advantage of a handgun:

The only real downside to an AR is that it is a high-pressure round.  You are very likely to suffer hearing damage if shooting one indoors.  This is less of a concern for a shotgun (14,000 PSI).

If someone breaks into my house at night, I'm grabbing the Mossberg.  There is nothing wrong with choosing an AR though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advantages of an AR:

Advantage of a shotgun:

Advantage of a handgun:

Anything indoors will damage hearing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Those that say you "can't miss" or "don't aim" and that the spread covers all attackers at once are in a fantasy world and thinking dangerously.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#46]
10.3" 556 fueled by 62g TSX. Don't be an idiot

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#47]
double barreled shotgun: endorsed by Joe Biden. You dont even need to aim it and they will run  

For me: handgun, shotgun ar. At least thats what I prefer for a HD situation. I'm proficient with all my firearms but least comfortable at close rang with my ar.  But say if Im defending my home  and need to reach out, ar it is. I agree it is a versatile weapon but it all boils down to personal confidence and proficiency with your chosen weapon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#48]
15 years as a soldier in the US Army makes the AR the natural weapon for me, at least until I can get a hold of a 240....
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
15 years as a soldier in the US Army makes the AR the natural weapon for me, at least until I can get a hold of a 240....
View Quote

Make mine a MK48
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#50]
My choice is an FS2000 with a light.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top