Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 8:28:52 PM EDT
My old man is a Marine Corps veteran and was an expert marksman throughout his years as a Jarhead. Recently he started shooting again (Springfield M1A) but has been having trouble getting a good sight picture since he wears bifocals. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a good solution? We have heard that you can flip the glasses upside down and that would work, but he hasn't been able to test it out yet, any knowledge of this method?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my glasses, bifocal or progressive, are made so that the focal distance for the master eye is set at 33 inches.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I wear bifocals, and am right handed and left eye dominant.  I mounted a reflex sight on my AR and now I can sight with no problems.  It's easy to get a good sight picture, even with both eyes open.  Still use MBUS as a backup.  I have a Windham SRC, and can see the MBUS through the reflex sight without having to remove it.

Maybe a reflex sight could work for you?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Progressive lenses would be the way to go, IMO. I've never heard of a happy bi-focal lens wearing shooter, FWIW. If not, then as mentioned, a reflex sight or scope is the way to go.

Getting old is a bitch, eh?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Had this issue using my SA XDm pistol. Put a Burris Fastfire III red dot in it. No more issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the responses, but my father is an old stubborn Jarhead and will only use iron sights. He may be just be SOL, especially since the M1A doesn't have the best rear sight...
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/wp/en/.          Knobloch shooting glasses for iron sights. You will need to talk to your eye doctor .
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I use drug store readers that focus on the front sight, not as good as being a kid again, but a fair solution
Without spending a pile of money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the responses, but my father is an old stubborn Jarhead and will only use iron sights. He may be just be SOL, especially since the M1A doesn't have the best rear sight...
View Quote

I would buy and put a cheap red dot on his rifle and have him try it. If it works out he likes it, get a better one. If not, you won't lose much money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 4.50 astigmatism and wear bifocals...  shooting glasses that work the best, and I've tried several configurations, is to have my near prescription in my dominant eye, and standard bifocal in the non dominant... whey I shot Metallic Silhouette, used a Merit Eye Disk to step down the field of view... pricey, but worked... you might try one of the plastic ones with a series of holes to see if it works for your Dad

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use drug store readers that focus on the front sight, not as good as being a kid again, but a fair solution
Without spending a pile of money.
View Quote

I picked up magnified safety glasses in the same power as my reading glasses. +1.50 works well for rifles but I need +2.00 to get the front sights on a handgun clear as a bell.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Your old man sounds very, very familiar, hmmmmmmm....

I use these and they help.

http://www.eyepalusa.com
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My old man is a Marine Corps veteran and was an expert marksman throughout his years as a Jarhead. Recently he started shooting again (Springfield M1A) but has been having trouble getting a good sight picture since he wears bifocals. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a good solution? We have heard that you can flip the glasses upside down and that would work, but he hasn't been able to test it out yet, any knowledge of this method?
View Quote

The way it sounds to me is that your Dad is looking through  his bifocals when sighting.  What he should do is when he gets new glasses is to tell the clerk to put the bifocals down about 4-6 mm from were they would normally put them. This way he won`t be looking through the bifocals when sighting. It works fir me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Blend line in my provressives creates paralax issues if i dont make sure im looking only thru the top part. Tight groups off center are annoying.

Use scotch tape and have him sight the gun. Then mark spot that is his natural center. Take glasses in for new lenses ground for that spot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top