Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Any update at SHOT on this? I gave a cursory search but found no mention of the SU-15.

I'm still interested, but it has fallen in line behind the CZ Scorpion EVO.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Think he had something on his Facebook page about it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Hadn't thought to look on FB link

Sounds like it will be out this Spring.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At some point in the future I'm planning on buying a Sig MCX. I'm very curious if the Faxon and SU-15 uppers will drop on.

The MCX was developed to drop onto a standard AR upper, so I'm hopeful buffer-less AR uppers will work with it.
View Quote

Ooooooh that sounds like a really good idea!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm falling out of love with it.  Gas block is ugly when it's exposed, price has gone way up, and limited barrel options will probably result in gun smithing costs to get it how we want it.

I'll wait until 2.0.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
price has gone way up
View Quote

SHOT Show 2014: $700 price estimation, gas block exposed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuUGtxf3C_k

SHOT Show 2015: $795 price estimation, gas block exposed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1iyvGvc-Q

It looks the same and the price is only $100 higher. Do you consider $100 a huge price increase?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm falling out of love with it.  Gas block is ugly when it's exposed, price has gone way up, and limited barrel options will probably result in gun smithing costs to get it how we want it.

I'll wait until 2.0.  
View Quote

What's the latest word on the price?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Facebook says price is $795 for the next two weeks. Taking orders now. After two weeks price goes to $1050.

Do not say what is included.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It looks the same and the price is only $100 higher. Do you consider $100 a huge price increase?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

price has gone way up

It's a 50% increase over 2014 estimate, unless you order right now.

$1050 can get you a lot of upper elsewhere.  I was excited at the features compared to price originally.  Side folding capability, forward charging handle, etc.  For $700?  Not bad.

If I had the money laying around, I'd guinea pig one, but they haven't released barrel specs or any details.  Just a preview of one version and a request for preorders.

I'm out about $4k in January alone for rifles.  Full specs available and $700 price tag would lure me into putting it on the credit card, but now I've got cold feet.  Lacking way too many details.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$1050 can get you a lot of upper elsewhere.  I was excited at the features compared to price originally.  Side folding capability, forward charging handle, etc.  For $700?  Not bad.

If I had the money laying around, I'd guinea pig one, but they haven't released barrel specs or any details.  Just a preview of one version and a request for preorders.

I'm out about $4k in January alone for rifles.  Full specs available and $700 price tag would lure me into putting it on the credit card, but now I've got cold feet.  Lacking way too many details.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
price has gone way up

Yeah i was hoping it was less expensive, it was a better deal than the ARAK21 but now im not  sure ..  I was hoping to get one if it was in the 700 range I just have too many projects unfinished right now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Any other info on these?  Very interested, but the 2 minute Shot Show videos aren't very informative.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any other info on these?  Very interested, but the 2 minute Shot Show videos aren't very informative.
View Quote

Serbu seems to communicate through Facebook.  I dont face book so its hard to keep up with them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
In my ideal world, this upper would have a 14.5" lightweight/pencil barrel with a pinned flash hider.  Probably hold out for that or something at least close to that.  I'm not willing to buy the currently discussed configurations and rework it for addition cost to make me happy with it.

Still really like this upper however, just going to wait for more options.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
He is currently studying barrel options.
A 14.5" pencil barrel, melonited would be a nice option.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
When I have some funds, I will buy one. The price really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I am sure it will go down after the early adopters cool off some.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Pre order is up on Serbu's site per Facebook. On iPhone and having trouble hot linking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Pre order is up on Serbu's site per Facebook. On iPhone and having trouble hot linking.
View Quote

http://serbu.myshopify.com/products/su-15-upper-receiver-pre-order

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the order number at currently?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that picture is an accurate representation of the end product,M4 profile barrel on the 16inch upper.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If that picture is an accurate representation of the end product,M4 profile barrel on the 16inch upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They managed to screw it up.

Shocking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I found these hidden on their website, they appear to be the current gen. Any guesses on what length barrel is pictured here?
DannerTrax

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]

SU-15 FAQ

1) Our side-folder buttstock isn't available yet. The one pictured was machined from a solid block of aluminum and was NOT but optimized for production. We'll probably go with a reinforced nylon stock for production, since it'll be lighter yet more than strong enough. No idea yet on timeline or pricing.

2) Why don't we have (fill in the blank) barrel lengths offered? It's hard enough bringing this thing to market with 4 barrel choices! But by all means, when you order please comment on what barrel you'd like. If we get enough orders with people requesting a certain length or style, we may make it happen. As you hopefully realize by now, the SU-15 uses standard AR-15/M-16 barrels, so you can buy and use whatever AR-15/M-16 barrels you want. And it's setup to use pistol gas hole locations for short barrels (and .300 BLK barrels) and carbine gas hole locations for long barrels. It's certainly possible to have a gas hole wherever you want it; just a matter of how long the gas tube is. One caveat...our pistol gas hole location is actually about 5/8" closer to the muzzle than what the standard calls for. A simple bushing and drilling of a new gas hole will make it work. Of course our barrels will have the flange and gas hole where we need them to be...no bushing needed. In the future we'll have the ability to use the pistol barrels without the bushing and new hole, but it requires a redesign of the op rod (to make it shorter).

3) The SU-15 will use the M-LOK standard for mounting accessories. There's a possibility we'll offer Keymod in the future if the demand is there.

4) Calibers: If you can buy an AR-15 barrel, barrel extension and bolt head for a caliber, chances it can be made to work with the SU-15. Near term plans are for a pistol caliber version (like 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc.).

5) Use with a suppressor: Haven't tried one yet, but will be very soon. The SU-15 relies on the diameter of the gas port inside the gas block to control gas flow to the action. The block can be bought with an undersized port or can be drilled out larger. An adjustable gas block has been designed and will be available in the future, so there should be no issues.

5) Gas block under the handguard: Currently the gas block must reside outside of the receiver because you have to take it off before you can remove the barrel. I have a design that'll make it possible for it to reside under the receiver, but it's for future release. I personally *like* the gas block and like where it is, or else I wouldn't have made it look like that or put it there when I designed the upper. Rifles like the M-16, AK-47, FAL, STG-44, SCAR, and VZ-58 use exposed gas blocks, so I think I'm in good company.

6) Complete SU-15 rifles: Yes, in the near future we will certainly build up entire rifles for sale so you don't have to 'roll your own'. No idea on cost or dates yet.

7) Deposit on full-auto version: You can go ahead and place your order to lock in the introductory price, but as I said on the ordering site the price will be higher and delivery will be later. But at least you'll get it for $795 + whatever the extra amount is instead of $1050 + that amount.

8) Pistol version: Yes, you can put an SU-15 upper on an AR-15 lower that's registered as a pistol, or at least has never been used in a rifle. You don't want to run afoul of the National Firearms Act. We will be offering a closeout for the end of the receiver just for pistols. Details coming soon.

9) SU-15 for Canada? We're already working with a Canadian dealer for handling sales for our neighbors to the North...stay tuned.

10) Why does 5) appear twice? To see if you're paying attention, that's why.

View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152473827186116&id=99767996115
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Order #1123
14.75" receiver
9" 300BLK bbl
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I think he is making a mistake offering a 7.5" 5.56 barrel first instead of a 10" or 12.5".
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone else noticed in his pictures that on the longer receiver there is no slot for the charging handle like there is on the shorter one.  Its stuff like this along with no information and only 4 or 5 pictures that makes me very nervous about pre ordering one of these, i feel like we have no idea what will come in the box.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Has anyone else noticed in his pictures that on the longer receiver there is no slot for the charging handle like there is on the shorter one.  Its stuff like this along with no information and only 4 or 5 pictures that makes me very nervous about pre ordering one of these, i feel like we have no idea what will come in the box.
View Quote

I can understand the minimal info posted.  it's a new product, and if Mark posted the n'th detail on all the parts, the ripoff's would soon start before the product is actually sold to customers.  We've all seen ripoff's of designs done before.  A part I designed was quickly copied.  

As it is, I ordered before the FAQ was posted.  Based upon the FAQ, it would appear the 9" bbl with the long receiver would be a no-go at first due to the gas block having to be inside the upper receiver.  I need the additional rail length of the longer upper receiver so that I can mount my clip-on thermal in front of my day optic. And I want the short 300BLK bbl for handiness with a suppressor attached for night time hog hunting.   Mark wrote me:  "...the 9" should be no problem.  Yes, the gas block will go inside."  Also that he's working on a design in which the gas block can be removed when inside the upper receiver to make the short bbl/long receiver combo possible.  I have faith it will be worked out and be an awesome product or I would not have ordered.  I'll be sure and post any updates I receive.    
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#32]
So is the complete upper being sold come with a reciprocating or non-reciprocating charging handle? I know he said in 2014 he said they would have the non-reciprocating charging handle but i don't see it in the options.  
Are the barrels they are using their own barrel?  If so anyone know the quality? Twist rate?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It has been suggested to him that posting bbl specs would be very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It has been suggested to him that posting bbl specs would be very helpful.
View Quote

The fact that he hasn't leads me to believe he isn't targeting a very discerning market.

Slapping a random 16" M4 barrel on it reeks of cheapness.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So is the complete upper being sold come with a reciprocating or non-reciprocating charging handle? I know he said in 2014 he said they would have the non-reciprocating charging handle but i don't see it in the options.  
Are the barrels they are using their own barrel?  If so anyone know the quality? Twist rate?
View Quote

I dont think anyone has any idea, heck between the 2 uppers he has pictures of one has a charging handle slot and one doesnt, how does he expect people to pre purchase when we have almost no details or images of what we are buying.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is what the barrel end is going to look like. I should have one for testing and do a write up on in a few weeks

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Here is what the barrel end is going to look like. I should have one for testing and do a write up on in a few weeks

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx222/tony50cal/S1510001_zps92hroqyr.jpg.
View Quote

Nice. I hope Mark plans on making a gas operated .45 setup for it. That would be pretty awesome. Also an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll let him chime in about those options on his Facebook page.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'll let him chime in about those options on his Facebook page.
View Quote
Nice. I see he already has the adjustable gas block in the works. He mentioned pistol calibers but didn't say if they were blowback or not.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#40]
If I can get it in a LW pinned 14.5" barrel at some point I'd be very interested. Until then I can't wait to see others reviews on it and keep a close eye on how it does.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If I can get it in a LW pinned 14.5" barrel at some point I'd be very interested. Until then I can't wait to see others reviews on it and keep a close eye on how it does.
View Quote

+1

pistol version is a cool toy, but not for serious work for most of us.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#42]
The top rail is so high, higher than a 416 even. You won't be able to get any kind of good cheek weld with regular AR sights and HK 416 height sights will probably be too high.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm really on the fence on preordering. I really don't want to dump money into it if he already has improvements planned. Seems like he cheaped out on the barrels, and wish the receiver was longer to cover the gas block.

Height over bore looks as high or more than an AK with optics.

We also have no idea about recoil or handling.

Hmm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Other than a tester, maybe I'm the only one that's ordered one.  I'll do a report when/if it comes in!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I blew my SU-15 money on a new scope for one of my bolt guns yesterday.

I'll revisit it down the road when the specs have been better clarified and more configurations are available.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I preordered the upper, and also one of their lowers. Order #1142.

14.75" receiver. Asked for a 14.5" lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm really on the fence on preordering. I really don't want to dump money into it if he already has improvements planned.
View Quote

I emailed him about the improvements and all he said was no improvement planned anytime soon.
So who knows. It could be a year before you see something new and then the question is at what price?

I also asked what barrel's and twist rate he was going to use.  He said not sure yet.
Getting close to launch date and he don't know?  Or is this one those thangs he's going to let the gun writing write about?

I'll probably still order one tho.  LOL
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I emailed him about the improvements and all he said was no improvement planned anytime soon.
So who knows. It could be a year before you see something new and then the question is at what price?

I also asked what barrel's and twist rate he was going to use.  He said not sure yet.
Getting close to launch date and he don't know?  Or is this one those thangs he's going to let the gun writing write about?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm really on the fence on preordering. I really don't want to dump money into it if he already has improvements planned.

Yeah, I've wanted one since it debuted last year. I placed an order yesterday. Hopefully they stick with the April time frame.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Did the orders start with #1.  In other words,  are there over a thousand pre orders already?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top