Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 5:38:28 AM EDT
Im seeing these new Zastava mauser style rifles in everything from .223 to .300 wm. Im looking at the .270.

I have only heard good things about zastava, but when it comes to shooting, how do they perform when compared to current production remington , savage, and etc. rifles in the same price range?

any info or sources to info would be awesome,

thanks,
  Hodges
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They are true Mauser actions.  They have been made under different names for a very long time.  Interarms Mark X, Whitworth, Charles Daly, Remington 798 and Zastava Z98.  I have a Mark X "Whitworth" in 458WM.  Very smooth action, nice trigger, nice finish and beautiful wood.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Be interested to see how they are accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Century import Zastava , full stock type in 7.62x39. Consistent failures to fire, once about every 5-10 shots. I toook the bolt apart and the firing and spring were covered in rust. I've cleaned it up and that helped improve things about 80% but I think the spring may need to be replaced. Otherwise the fit and finish seems decent, overall I'll be happy with the gun once this "not going bang" issue is completely fixed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rem 798 in .375 H&H Mag and the quality seems to be a bit better than the average Savage or Remington. I haven't done a bench test for accuracy so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I haven't used the current production rifles I have to older Zastava 98 rifles.  Oldest is a M48 BO in 7.92x57.  This is unmodified military 98.  Second is a Harrison and Richardson 340 branded in .308 Win.  Picked up the H&R new back in the mid 80s.  Used the it successfully on whitetails last two seasons.

CD
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Century import Zastava , full stock type in 7.62x39. Consistent failures to fire, once about every 5-10 shots. I toook the bolt apart and the firing and spring were covered in rust. I've cleaned it up and that helped improve things about 80% but I think the spring may need to be replaced. Otherwise the fit and finish seems decent, overall I'll be happy with the gun once this "not going bang" issue is completely fixed.
View Quote

Did you contact Century about that? I would think they would owe you some money or a new bolt or something.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My understanding is that they're as close to a new "good mauser" that you can get without a time machine. Wouldn't mind one in 300blk...though that'll probably never happen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one in .300 Win Mag. I have not shot it yet, but can tell you a little about it. The metalwork is NICE. Very nice polish blue. Bolt could be a little slicker, but I think a good oiling with CLP will take care of that. Stock is very nicely shaped. I have the Monte Carlo stock and really like how they shaped it. It has an oil finish, which, in my opinion, has to go. I want it sealed. I plan to lightly sand it, fill the pores with a good wood grain filler. The oil based type you brush on with the grain, let it sit for awhile, then wipe off cross grain with burlap. I will probably spray on a lacquer based sanding sealer on that, sand it, and begin building up coats of wipe on poly, in a semi gloss. I am also going to glass bed the action. I bought the rifle as a project. On the other hand, I suppose it is ok the way it is. Just not to my liking. I still have not decided what scope I will put on it. One other thing, I am probably going to replace the recoil pad with a decelerator grind to fit.

Good luck & enjoy,

Mark
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an Interarms Mark X with a  Zastava action  in 270w, full stock, double set triggers, & 22in barrel with micro type rifling. Mine was Mfg in the 1970`s with a 3x9  Redfield Acra-Trac scope from the same period. Like the others said, the wood to metal fit is perfect, & all the metal is polished & blued. I`ve shot mine out to 300yds & it`s very accrate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top