Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2013 3:37:03 PM EDT

And would it be legal. I have not been able to find anything that says it would be illegal. IN theory, every time I put a gas tube into an otherwise complete AR15 I am changing it from a manual action rifle to a semiauto rifle.

I was thinking about this when I saw that mossberg bolt action rifle that accepts ar15 magazines (mossberg MVP). After seeing the guy that made an AK47 out of a shovel, I'm sure some of you could do it.  Maybe add a big buffer spring and make it a blowback rifle like the HK93, or something.

Thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Research "Peterson Device"
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The Australians did a full auto Enfield don't now about semi

Link]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interdasting.  I wonder if anyone manufactures such a device today...

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting.  I wonder if anyone manufactures such a device today...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m4xava.jpg

Highly doubt it...
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Pedersen Device

Only complete unit I have ever seen was at the Springfield Armory.

I have seen some 1903 MK I's with the slot, one was a sporter, at gun shops over the years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
There were various attempts made during, and immediately after, WWI. The Charlton was one of the more successful ones.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
For awhile you could get a Soviet M44 shipped with a hot Russian woman to operate the bolt for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For awhile you could get a Soviet M44 shipped with a hot Russian woman to operate the bolt for you.

I always miss those good deals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
A simple blowback .22 lr  wouldn't be to hard to fit in an average bolt action.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pedersen Device

Only complete unit I have ever seen was at the Springfield Armory.

I have seen some 1903 MK I's with the slot, one was a sporter, at gun shops over the years.

The Pedersen device was first thing I thought of. I wish there was a modern reproduction for my Mark I, but sadly there isn't.

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
How do you think John Moses Browning (pbuh) built his first semi auto?
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do you think John Moses Browning (pbuh) built his first semi auto?

Actually, his first machine gun prototype was a converted lever-action.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually John Brownings first "automatic" firearm was a Winchester Model 1873 rifle converted to fire SEMI-auto.

He installed a butt plate that would work something like a recoil pad.
When fired, the sliding butt plate would operate the lever action via a lever from the butt plate to the lever.

It would not be illegal to convert a bolt action to a semi-auto, but it wouldn't be simple or cheap.
You'd need a true Master gunsmith/designer/inventor who does "one off" very high end custom work, and his first question would be "Just how much money DO you have"?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I would think a better platform to start with would be a pump action rifle. Those bolts are already designed to be moved straight back without rotating it first. Then just design a gas block and piston to operate the pump and add a spring to make it return.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would think a better platform to start with would be a pump action rifle. Those bolts are already designed to be moved straight back without rotating it first. Then just design a gas block and piston to operate the pump and add a spring to make it return.

LIke a Remmy 7616P? Not a bad idea. That one accepts AR15 mags too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought OP's question was more "Is it possible convert from a manually operated action to an auto loading one"...didn't think it was specific to BOLT action. That's just the most common manual rifle action...

Anyway, maybe a straight pull cammed bolt like a K31 would be easy. just need a piston to impinge on the bolt handle and a spring to return it. (keep your fingers out of the way)
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, not bad! Then you could make it take a forged aluminum upper receiver, have a buffer tube with a collapsible buttstock on it, maybe make the rifle operate on a direct impingement system? Then you put in some kind of rotating bolt that cams within a larger carrier group, set up some kind of modular lower receiver, and you'll be set! I really think we're on to something here!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, not bad! Then you could make it take a forged aluminum upper receiver, have a buffer tube with a collapsible buttstock on it, maybe make the rifle operate on a direct impingement system? Then you put in some kind of rotating bolt that cams within a larger carrier group, set up some kind of modular lower receiver, and you'll be set! I really think we're on to something here!

Maybe you have that kind of skill to create that from scratch, I sure don't.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have been the first person to do this ^.  I began with a single-shot bolt action Winchester .22lr, pulled the action out of the stock, then replaced the stock with plastic hand guards, and a stock that could be adjusted for length.  This required a pistol grip, so I added that, and replaced the barreled action with a modular lower receiver, just like you are talking about.  I had to add an upper receiver that was forged from aluminum, and a barrel nut was used to secure the barrel, which was chambered in 5.56 x 45.  Despite the fact that this was an incredibly new concept, I found something called the internet, which had what are called "websites" among these websites were "Bravocompanyusa.com" and "Aimsurplus.com" which had parts, like bolt carrier groups and gas tubes, lower parts kits, and various pieces that seemed to made to perfectly fit on my new gun.  It was trully amazing when it was done.  

Sadly, this is all a thing of the past.  If you do happen to find the internet, and then go to these websites that I mentioned, you will only find pictures of these parts, and an option to receive a notification by something called "email" if the parts will ever be available again.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Research "Pederson Device"

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you even doing this then? Why not just buy an AR15 instead of spending MEGA bucks to convert your bolt-action?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually John Brownings first "automatic" firearm was a Winchester Model 1873 rifle converted to fire SEMI-auto.

He installed a butt plate that would work something like a recoil pad.
When fired, the sliding butt plate would operate the lever action via a lever from the butt plate to the lever.

That was Hiram S. Maxim's earliest recoil-operation patent.  Browning's gas-operated prototype used a muzzle-mounted flapper
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you even doing this then? Why not just buy an AR15 instead of spending MEGA bucks to convert your bolt-action?

Obviously, the joke went sailing over your head.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously, the joke went sailing over your head.

What joke? This is a completely useless thread. You realize that even if the AWB passes it still be incredibly easy to- (I'll stop writing here in order to not violate a certain section of the CoC )
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was just an idea I had for say if all military style semiautomatic weapons were banned and confiscated, like in UK or Australia, and then SHTF. What could be done with magazine fed manual action rifles to liven them up.

Hypothetical scenario, but just a random thought like you have sometimes.  Interesting nonetheless (to me, anyway).
Obviously if you already have an AR15 then it would be pointless except as an exercise to see if you could do it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is a completely useless thread.

If you don't like the thread, the door is that way.  ------------------------------------------------------------------>
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Shit, if everything is banned why not just make sten guns at the bicycle shop if you're gonna break some laws?

Daniel
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shit, if everything is banned why not just make sten guns at the bicycle shop if you're gonna break some laws?

Daniel

Precisely...

You want to talk about a total ban scenario? Well I'm glad you mentioned the UK. This is a picture of a UK-legal AR with the parts to make it UK-legal laid out next to it. It's a very nice AR at that -- an LMT. Notice something peculiar about a few of the parts that are on display?  Hmm.

Popping out a cam pin and spinning an armorer's wrench are a HELL of a lot easier than trying to take a manual action firearm and magically converting it to a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Daniel

Well, sure, but this thread was about modifying an existing manual action firearm that was manufactured and designed as a manual action firearm only. I was curious about the methods that could be used, and the particulars thereof. For example, if you converted a bolt gun into a blowback semi auto, what would hold the bolt into battery with enough force to complete the firing sequence safely yet still cycle. The buffer/return spring only, or some kind of roller locking system?  

Stuff like that, Just interested to see other's take on this. I know there are other options in SHTF scenarios, I just want to explore this one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel

Precisely...

You want to talk about a total ban scenario? Well I'm glad you mentioned the UK. This is a picture of a UK-legal AR with the parts to make it UK-legal laid out next to it. It's a very nice AR at that -- an LMT. Notice something peculiar about a few of the parts that are on display?  Hmm.

http://www.nwcustomparts.com/ar15/images/lmt_package.jpg

Popping out a cam pin and spinning an armorer's wrench are a HELL of a lot easier than trying to take a manual action firearm and magically converting it to a semi-auto.

Right, I get that. However in this instance I was interesting in delving into converting a purpose made, and designed manual action weapon into a semi auto, not one that had originally been designed as a semiauto and made into a manual action weapon.

I don't know how else to put that.  For example, lets take a Lee-Enfield  No 1 Mk III  bolt action rifle which has a 10 round box magazine, and turn it into a semiauto.  That's what I am talking about.
That is the aim of this thread.  Scenario is field expedient modification of what you have on hand, which in this case is a purpose designed manual action rifle, and that is all you have to work with. Along with whatever tools would be available at say, a Home depot.

I guess I didn't make that clear in the original post,  hope this explanation is clear enough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link]

This is what I came here to post.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link]

This is what I came here to post.

That's actually pretty cool when you look at how it's made.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#33]
John Browning even did a Lever action conversion to full auto.

John M. Browning's invention of the machine gun began with a seemingly commonplace event that occured in the fall of 1889 when he, his brothers and some friends were at a weekly shoot at the Odgen Gun Club. While a friend, Will Wright, was shooting, Browning happened to notice that the weeds, 10 feet in front of Wright and to his left, were blown forward each time he fired. At that moment, Browning realized that the gases emitted from the barrel could be harnessed to fire a gun automatically.
John and his brothers quickly went back to the shop where John demonstrated with an old lever-action Winchester 73 rifle that a block could be propelled across the shop just by the gases coming from the barrel. The next day, Browning took that same rifle and with the help of his brothers, Matt and Ed, modified it with a "flapper," which allowed the bullet to pass through but harnessed the gases to move a lever arm that was connected to push rod going back to the modified trigger and lever arm. When the gun was fired, the flapper activated the lever arm, moving the push rod, which cocked the gun and pulled the trigger. The cycle was rapidly repeated, emptying the gun in seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top