Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:25:53 AM EDT
someone told me they (gubermnt) wuz gonna start making manufactures
put"something" in ammo that would limit the shelf life; it would even
be in bulk smokless powder;

now this is a place where nothing goes unoticed, espically a regulation like that,
so it's not that I believe it, but I've never heard of such a thing; did I miss the memo?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bravo Sierra

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That would only be limited to assault powder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bravo Sierra

Lol, i love this shit, TINFOIL TIEM
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
This rumor goes back the the 90's Assault Weapon Ban.

At the time, several of the usual totally dense anti-gun politicians and activists wanted to make ammo makers add "taggants" to gun powder.  These taggants would allow the police to identify the maker and even the lot of the ammo by the taggant.

It was explained that taggants would alter the powder in unsafe ways and that no military or police organization would allow it in their ammo, and that the unknown and unsafe taggant effects would likely cause explosive accidents.
So, common sense prevailed and the adults dropped the idea.

From that came rumors that the government wanted to put additives in powder or primers that would give ammo an expiration date.  Within a set number of years the ammo would simply deactivate itself and become useless.
This would prevent those NRA crazies from stockpiling ammo.
When it was explained that there is simply no possible way to do this, and again, no one military, police or civilian would allow such an unsafe additive, most people understood it was just a rumor.

Like most rumors, it refuses to die.

To sum up, there's no way to put a taggant in firearms ammo because of problems like the taggant and powder separating out and causing massive overloads.

There is no known reliable or safe method of causing ammunition to deactivate itself after a set time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bravo Sierra

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
well, that rumorz so old I've never heard it.,,,,guess I can cancel that order for
a boxcar load of Unique (Flaming Dirt) & H335,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It's complete and utter bullshit, but just imagine what kind of liability the congresscritters and powder and ammunition manufacturers would open themselves up to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
someone told me they (gubermnt) wuz gonna start making manufactures
put"something" in ammo that would limit the shelf life; it would even
be in bulk smokless powder;

now this is a place where nothing goes unoticed, espically a regulation like that,
so it's not that I believe it, but I've never heard of such a thing; did I miss the memo?

When it gets close to the expiration date, it goes to the 50% off rack!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Why does this BS come up, every panic buy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Did this person happen to be selling "pre-expiration date" ammo or powder for "the best price you'll find around"?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
What if my primers expired 1½ years ago? Should I still use these?

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This rumor goes back the the 90's Assault Weapon Ban.

At the time, several of the usual totally dense anti-gun politicians and activists wanted to make ammo makers add "taggants" to gun powder.  These taggants would allow the police to identify the maker and even the lot of the ammo by the taggant.

It was explained that taggants would alter the powder in unsafe ways and that no military or police organization would allow it in their ammo, and that the unknown and unsafe taggant effects would likely cause explosive accidents.
So, common sense prevailed and the adults dropped the idea.

From that came rumors that the government wanted to put additives in powder or primers that would give ammo an expiration date.  Within a set number of years the ammo would simply deactivate itself and become useless.
This would prevent those NRA crazies from stockpiling ammo.
When it was explained that there is simply no possible way to do this, and again, no one military, police or civilian would allow such an unsafe additive, most people understood it was just a rumor.

Like most rumors, it refuses to die.

To sum up, there's no way to put a taggant in firearms ammo because of problems like the taggant and powder separating out and causing massive overloads.

There is no known reliable or safe method of causing ammunition to deactivate itself after a set time.

That and in a testing panel of several  volunteers all volunteers were 100% successful in removing 100% of the taggants from 1 pound samples of tagged powder using a black light a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
And it's amazing who can get caught up in these kinds of myths.

My BIL is a pretty smart guy. He's actually a production engineer for a pretty significant firearms mfg'r (Yup. AR's of all kinds!) and he called a month or so ago, petrified by this very rumor!

It's a good thing my wife took the call. God knows what I might've said! (I'd really hate to piss him off. He's good people.) Ha! Like I said . . . it's amazing who can get fooled into a near panic by this kinda' shit!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh yes.  Totally true.  Your ammo is worthless.  I will take it off your hands - you only have to pay to ship it to me
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#17]
This would be a terrible liability issue if ammo began to degrade much faster than expected, and failed to perform or took on unforseeable characteristics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Not going to happen
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good one
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Christ, this rumor almost predates the internet and led to the great primer famine of the mid 90s. No truth to this, cant be done, utter bullshit. You are authorized to throat punch anyone in a gunstore spreading these lies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Limiting the shelf life of ammo is complete nonsense. If a shooting war ever starts, I'd be more worried about this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Limiting the shelf life of ammo is complete nonsense. If a shooting war ever starts, I'd be more worried about this.

The US did that in Vietnam.  They'd capture an ammo cache, booby trap some rounds by filling them with an explosive, then propagate a myth that bad batches of ammo were coming down from the north.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't believe everything you hear, and don't start a thread based on said belief!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top