Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2012 5:38:36 PM EDT
I'm looking to build a new game shooter in .308.  I'm set on the caliber I just can't decide which cheapy to get.  Looking at the Stevens 200, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage Axis or anything else in the $300 range.  Is there a hands down winner in the catagory?  I'm leaning towards the Stevens.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take the Stevens or Marlin X7(iirc) over the axis.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger America
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would take the Stevens or Marlin X7(iirc) over the axis.

Anything in particular that you like about the Stevens better than the Axis?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ruger America

I've fondled one and it looked and felt quite cheap compared to both the Stevens and Axis which are inexpensive, yet don't look cheap.  Do you have a Ruger American rifle?  If so, how do you like it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The wrist on the axis stock felt funny to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a rifle that's a barebones version (base model) of a standard rifle. That would be the Stevens 200. It's the same rifle as all Savage M10 series rifles, just wih fewer bells and whistles.

What you don't want is a rifle designed from the ground up to be a cheap gun, like the Edge or American.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You want a rifle that's a barebones version (base model) of a standard rifle. That would be the Stevens 200. It's the same rifle as all Savage M10 series rifles, just wih fewer bells and whistles.

What you don't want is a rifle designed from the ground up to be a cheap gun, like the Edge or American.

Very good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Stevens or XS7
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ruger America

I have one.  Very accurate, soft shooting rifle.  I couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Stevens 200.  it is reliable, accurate, have had no problems with it, and enjoy shooting it......however, i would buy the marlin XS7 if i were going to buy a budget rifle again.  the savage 10 action has no aesthetics (...ie..butt ugly) and I find the tang safety lacking for a right handed shooter as compared to the side safety of the Marlin.  in order to release the safety on the Stevens/ Savage you have to break your grip, not so with the Marlin.  I often hunt in thick cover and prefer a safety that can be manipulated smoothly from all the shooting positions i may use.  YMMV

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ruger America

this
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Stevens 200.  it is reliable, accurate, have had no problems with it, and enjoy shooting it......however, i would buy the marlin XS7 if i were going to buy a budget rifle again.  the savage 10 action has no aesthetics (...ie..butt ugly) and I find the tang safety lacking for a right handed shooter as compared to the side safety of the Marlin.  in order to release the safety on the Stevens/ Savage you have to break your grip, not so with the Marlin.  I often hunt in thick cover and prefer a safety that can be manipulated smoothly from all the shooting positions i may use.  YMMV

advntrjnky

Thank you, I will look at the Marlin again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
My good friend has a Ruger American and I have shot it a few times, it is a pretty nice gun for the money.  Also look at the TCA Venture, I got a used one for around $370 and have been very pleased with it so far.  The Savages are good options as well, they have a reputation for nice quality in a budget gun.  I've never shot a Marlin in .308 but given my experience with their rimfires and lever actions I would expect good quality from it as well.  Either way you have some great options available, I would go with the one that you think handles best and whatever one you can get a good deal on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I looked at a SS Marlin today and it was nice.  I liked the trigger better than the Stevens and Axis.  The Axis stock feels "weird".  I saw a Venture, but did not look at it.  It looked like a Howa, do you know if it is?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Of the ones you listed, I'd go for the Stevens. Compared to the Axis (or any of the others), I think you'll have more options down the road for upgraded stocks, triggers, etc. The Stevens is basically a Savage action and parts for the Savage will fit it.

BTW, I'm an FFL and when I looked for inexpensive deer hunting guns to stock last fall, I bypassed all the options you listed and got some of the Savage Model 11 packages with scope. I felt for the small difference in price between the Stevens and the package Savage rifles, the Savage was a better deal. If nothing else, the stock on the Savage was much nicer than the one that came on the Stevens.

But, all that said, if I were in your situation, I'd hit the pawnshops and look for a used Savage.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Go get the Ruger American in .308.  It is soft shooting, accurate as heck, super light, and extremely affordable.  I am not one to cheap out on firearms and I do not feel like I compromised ANYTHING that I was looking for in a hunting gun.   I got mine for a little over 300 from kygunco.

I could not be happier with mine and would feel very comfortable choosing it over rifles 2-3x more expensive.  It just gets the job done.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never held a Howa so I am not sure how similar they are to be honest.  I will say that my TCA is very comfortable and I don't think you would be disappointed in it.  However, if you find a great deal on the Stevens or Savage, I would pull the trigger (no pun intended but intended) and go for that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top