Author
Posted: 12/26/2012 4:38:36 PM EST
I'm looking to build a new game shooter in .308. I'm set on the caliber I just can't decide which cheapy to get. Looking at the Stevens 200, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage Axis or anything else in the $300 range. Is there a hands down winner in the catagory? I'm leaning towards the Stevens.
Shenanigunz:

Hail Ed, full of grace, the Lord of the Bear pit is with thee; blessed art thou amongst men, and blessed is the fruit of thy interwebs, Arfcom.

Amen.
dcs12345
Mahna Mahna...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 4:57:15 PM EST
I would take the Stevens or Marlin X7(iirc) over the axis.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.
~John Adams
safemover
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 5:10:01 PM EST
Ruger America
tyrex13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 5:15:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
I would take the Stevens or Marlin X7(iirc) over the axis.

Anything in particular that you like about the Stevens better than the Axis?
Shenanigunz:

Hail Ed, full of grace, the Lord of the Bear pit is with thee; blessed art thou amongst men, and blessed is the fruit of thy interwebs, Arfcom.

Amen.
tyrex13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 5:16:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By safemover:
Ruger America

I've fondled one and it looked and felt quite cheap compared to both the Stevens and Axis which are inexpensive, yet don't look cheap. Do you have a Ruger American rifle? If so, how do you like it?
Shenanigunz:

Amen.
dcs12345
Mahna Mahna...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 5:20:50 PM EST
The wrist on the axis stock felt funny to me.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.
~John Adams
skywarp989
former gun shop counter dude
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 5:36:49 PM EST
You want a rifle that's a barebones version (base model) of a standard rifle. That would be the Stevens 200. It's the same rifle as all Savage M10 series rifles, just wih fewer bells and whistles.

What you don't want is a rifle designed from the ground up to be a cheap gun, like the Edge or American.
tyrex13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/26/2012 6:00:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By skywarp989:
You want a rifle that's a barebones version (base model) of a standard rifle. That would be the Stevens 200. It's the same rifle as all Savage M10 series rifles, just wih fewer bells and whistles.

What you don't want is a rifle designed from the ground up to be a cheap gun, like the Edge or American.

Very good info, thanks.
Shenanigunz:

Amen.
dbd870
which way to the classifieds
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 2:45:31 AM EST
Stevens or XS7
Stick it.
Ameshawki
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:43:10 AM EST
Ruger America

I have one. Very accurate, soft shooting rifle. I couldn't be happier with it.
advntrjnky
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 9:02:28 AM EST
I have a Stevens 200. it is reliable, accurate, have had no problems with it, and enjoy shooting it......however, i would buy the marlin XS7 if i were going to buy a budget rifle again. the savage 10 action has no aesthetics (...ie..butt ugly) and I find the tang safety lacking for a right handed shooter as compared to the side safety of the Marlin. in order to release the safety on the Stevens/ Savage you have to break your grip, not so with the Marlin. I often hunt in thick cover and prefer a safety that can be manipulated smoothly from all the shooting positions i may use. YMMV

advntrjnky
Bushmaster1984
scout rifle devotee, and Flintlock shooter
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:41:50 AM EST
Ruger America

this
"government should not assume for the people the inevitable burdens of existence"

Calvin Coolidge...30th president of the united states.
1923-1929
tyrex13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:59:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By advntrjnky:
I have a Stevens 200. it is reliable, accurate, have had no problems with it, and enjoy shooting it......however, i would buy the marlin XS7 if i were going to buy a budget rifle again. the savage 10 action has no aesthetics (...ie..butt ugly) and I find the tang safety lacking for a right handed shooter as compared to the side safety of the Marlin. in order to release the safety on the Stevens/ Savage you have to break your grip, not so with the Marlin. I often hunt in thick cover and prefer a safety that can be manipulated smoothly from all the shooting positions i may use. YMMV

advntrjnky

Thank you, I will look at the Marlin again.
Shenanigunz:

Amen.
dunnmli1223
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 3:38:03 PM EST
My good friend has a Ruger American and I have shot it a few times, it is a pretty nice gun for the money. Also look at the TCA Venture, I got a used one for around $370 and have been very pleased with it so far. The Savages are good options as well, they have a reputation for nice quality in a budget gun. I've never shot a Marlin in .308 but given my experience with their rimfires and lever actions I would expect good quality from it as well. Either way you have some great options available, I would go with the one that you think handles best and whatever one you can get a good deal on.
tyrex13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:15:28 PM EST
I looked at a SS Marlin today and it was nice. I liked the trigger better than the Stevens and Axis. The Axis stock feels "weird". I saw a Venture, but did not look at it. It looked like a Howa, do you know if it is?
Shenanigunz:

Amen.
Bladeswitcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:37:40 PM EST
Of the ones you listed, I'd go for the Stevens. Compared to the Axis (or any of the others), I think you'll have more options down the road for upgraded stocks, triggers, etc. The Stevens is basically a Savage action and parts for the Savage will fit it.

BTW, I'm an FFL and when I looked for inexpensive deer hunting guns to stock last fall, I bypassed all the options you listed and got some of the Savage Model 11 packages with scope. I felt for the small difference in price between the Stevens and the package Savage rifles, the Savage was a better deal. If nothing else, the stock on the Savage was much nicer than the one that came on the Stevens.

But, all that said, if I were in your situation, I'd hit the pawnshops and look for a used Savage.
In a truly free country, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store, not a federal agency
TDIllini
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:45:15 PM EST
Go get the Ruger American in .308. It is soft shooting, accurate as heck, super light, and extremely affordable. I am not one to cheap out on firearms and I do not feel like I compromised ANYTHING that I was looking for in a hunting gun. I got mine for a little over 300 from kygunco.

I could not be happier with mine and would feel very comfortable choosing it over rifles 2-3x more expensive. It just gets the job done.
dunnmli1223
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:46:45 PM EST
I have never held a Howa so I am not sure how similar they are to be honest. I will say that my TCA is very comfortable and I don't think you would be disappointed in it. However, if you find a great deal on the Stevens or Savage, I would pull the trigger (no pun intended but intended) and go for that