Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:35:26 AM EDT
I'm sure it probably curdles the blood of some of the members here to suggest buying a rifle from Wally World, but bear with me. The fact is that the prices are amazing. What I'm specifically interested in is a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 with a scope(probably junk) for about $400. This is would be a deer hunting gun, not a long-range tactical rifle. It's going to get thrown in a truck backseat in a soft case, thrown in a truck bed, back of an ATV, sit in a blind, dropped on the ground, get rained on, etc. So I'm not looking for a show piece. But the detail that I'm worried about here is that you get what you pay for in life, and because it's Walmart, are the rifles that they sell of lesser quality than what you would get somewhere else, say a legit gun dealer? I've heard the theory that anything bought at Lowe's or Home Depot is made in mass quantity by the manufacturer and quality is thrown by the wayside to maximize profits, which leads me to speculate the same of Walmart. The gun is going to get beaten up, so I don't want to pay a premium price. But I do want the quality of a 700 with the smooth action of the bolt and the great trigger.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have purchased several rifles from walmart over the years and they have all been good rifles.  My Rem 673 6.5 rem came from walmart and it is a shooting SOB.  Will never part with it.  I have also purchased a Marlin, Weatherby, and other remingtons there.  You can get a turd anywhere but my walmart guns have been just fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
But the detail that I'm worried about here is that you get what you pay for in life, and because it's Walmart, are the rifles that they sell of lesser quality than what you would get somewhere else, say a legit gun dealer?

It will be the exact same rifle you would get anywhere.  Gun makers don't want to make version X and version Y of the same model since it is easier to just make the same thing over and over again.  I wouldn't expect to have a great trigger in it though since the stock remington trigger isn't that great to me personally.

The Remington 700 SPS will have a shitty plastic stock, but it will still work fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]
While I can not provide any empirical data for or against a "big box weapon" my thinking would be this: Walmart does not, as far as I know, control the manufacturing of or design of any firearm. So, until they do, as long as you key in on the "right" brand of firearm, lowest price wins. Should said weapon turn out to be inaccurate or faulty, your beef would then be with the manufacturer and not "Wally" so ... go for it. If I had the $400 I would jump on a Remington 700 in a heart beat and then go strait to a "real" gun store and start loading up on "upgrades".
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a horseshit myth perpetuated by gun dealers that can't compete with Walmart's prices.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I responded to this on the Hide.  There are just 700's
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
On the various gun forums several Walmart sporting goods department managers have posted answers to where Walmart gets it's guns.

The local Walmart orders it's guns from the same big gun distributors the local gun shop does.  The local store buys from distributors like Zander's and Eliot Brothers just like Billy Bob's Guns And Booze.

Walmart does not sell "factory second" guns, Walmart does not have special lower quality guns made for them.

Walmart Corporate does occasional have a special model of gun made for the company.  These limited model guns are ordered by Walmart home office and are shipped to the stores.
These guns are special models made so Walmart can offer a special gun.  These are not lower quality.
As example a few years ago they sold a Ruger 10/22 with a stainless 20" barrel and a gray laminated stock, and a Sam Waldon Commemorative shotgun.

Bottom line, Walmart buys the same guns from the same distributors as any other gun dealer and doesn't sell substandard or "seconds" guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh no, Wal-mart sells nothing but knock offs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a horseshit myth perpetuated by gun dealers that can't compete with Walmart's prices.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have purcheased at least 3 at wally world myself . NO problems or regrets .
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

this, the guns are exactly the same
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
We had a big thread about this and, by GOD, there are some "experts" on here who "know" that the ARs the WalMart sells are not as good as the ones you buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Why is Walmart able to sell anything cheap, they buy in large quantities. They have the power to buy stuff in astronomically high volumes so manufacturers make less per item but sell 10x what they would normally to make up the difference.

There is no difference between a Walmart rifle, and one at the LGS. Same goes for most of the stuff sold at Walmart for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I was checking my email but couldnt find it but I actually emailed Remington on this. I bought an 870 Express Super Magnum 12 guage there once and after hearing the hooplah about inferiors being sold from wally world i emailed them. They pretty much said they are the exact same guns and why would we risk our reputation as a gun manufacturer to send less than standard firearms to a chain store. Remington was great to deal with because I had extraction issues with this shotgun. I sent it to them and they fixed it for nothing. Great company!
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]
It really depends on what you're buying. Do manufactures degrade their products to sell at Wal-mart, no. That would be a good way to ruin a reputation. Will manufactures make special Wal-mart, k-mart, big 5 and so on "only models" yes. Remember the J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Coast to Coast, Sears brands and so on? Also, manufacturers offer different model variations. For instance take Marlins 336W vs. the 336C. Essentially the same rifle except the 336W is advertised as Walnut stained hardwood but the 336C is American Walnut. The price difference is about $100.00. You just need to do a bit of homework on the SPECIFIC model you're looking at. If the model is such and such then it's exactly the same offered anywhere else. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Just bought my daughter a Ruger 10/22 for her first Applseed shoot from WM. Shoots great and is the same as the one I bought from Gander Mountain a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It really depends on what you're buying. Do manufactures degrade their products to sell at Wal-mart, no. That would be a good way to ruin a reputation. Will manufactures make special Wal-mart, k-mart, big 5 and so on "only models" yes. Remember the J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Coast to Coast, Sears brands and so on? Also, manufacturers offer different model variations. For instance take Marlins 336W vs. the 336C. Essentially the same rifle except the 336W is advertised as Walnut stained hardwood but the 336C is American Walnut. The price difference is about $100.00. You just need to do a bit of homework on the SPECIFIC model you're looking at. If the model is such and such then it's exactly the same offered anywhere else. Hope this helps.

Remember them? Hell, I own a J.C. Higgins and used to own a Montgomery Wards Western Field.

Both were excellent firearms. The J.C. Higgins has the smoothest action of any shotgun I've ever shot. VERY solid gun.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a Remington shotgun for my son there, when he was 15 there.  He's 32 now and still using it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes it is. Not saying that with walmarts buying power some companies do not make a cheaper line of their products for walmart but I have never seen any evidence that it happens with firearms.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Walmart has put many small stores in my area out of business.

Keep buying guns there and the small local gun shops will be closing too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the last Winchester 94 within 200 miles of me at a WalMart shortly after Winchester stopped making them. It is an awesome gun!

I also bought a 10/22 from them that is no different from anywhere else other than I paid $50 less.

Those were my only two experiences with Wally World and guns. They now sell a very vanilla selection. They still get my money often for bulk packs of ammo! Almost too much!

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When a fricking local shop wants $20.00 MORE that MSRP for a 10/22 and WalMart has it for $25.00 less than MSRP, I will buy from Walmart.

And I am sick of the sob story about putting small stores out of business.

WalMart employs more than all those stores combined.

It is called capitalism.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Beyond the discount of buying in bulk, companies now that WalMart has cash and pays in full on time.   They do not have to worry about late payments or lack of funds...low risk with fast cash transaction, who wouldn't knock a few dollars off of each gun when you sell a semi load at a time.

Kinda like that Lord of War movie
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I've not had any issues with the rifles I purchased at WM...money talks when the economy is bad...money talks when economy is good as well.

I too dislike the 'WM putting local companies out of business"  Well if this is true, then those companies don't know how to run a business.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's called adapt; those that do it live on, the ones that don't die. Walmart does NOT sell every gun out there, nor do they or can they cover every segment/niche of the market. If a LGS is going to try and sell basic 10/22s, 700s, etc for greater than MSRP they will go out of buisness vs any large retailer (Walmart, Academy, etc). The shops who exploits the big chains weaknesses do well.

Examples: despite 3 Walmarts and an Academy, there are several LGS who continue to operate and do alright. One offers archery services, huge selection of fishing equipment, higher end shotguns and rifles (like Benelli, Beretta, Tika, etc.), huge selection of hunting and self defense ammo, good selection of higher end optics (Trijicon, Leupold, etc) and just basically exploits the large chains lack of varity and higher end equipment. Prices are reasonable and they offer transfers too. Another has a large selection of pistols, rifles etc. His pricing is almost as good as internet in a lot of cases, he makes his money on volume and low overhead. On a basic 10/22 he will be ~$20 more but he offers ARs, AKs, pistols that chains don't and he can beat their prices b/c those items have a higher margin. Another offers gunsmithing and transfers.

Of course we do have one  that's struggling; trying to hold high margins (expensive) and still trying compete directly with Academy on sporting equipment, etc. If they don't can their thinking they will fold.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<––––FFL

Any gun shop put out of business by WalMart wasn't much of a gun shop to begin with.
Odd, isn't it that there are plenty of tire stores, clothing stores, sporting goods stores within sight of Wal Mart and they are doing just fine.
WalMart doesn't carry handguns (except Alaska) and has a very limited selection of firearms and ammunition. No premium ammunition, no leather or kydex holsters, no high end shotguns, no gunsmiths, and precious few employees that have a clue about firearms. If your local gun store is closing it isn't due to an inability to compete with WalMart its most likely an inability to run a business period. Mom and pop stores are for the financial enrichment of mom and pop.......and thats fine, but no more honorable than the profit making motives of a corporation

Funny isn't it, that as supposed proponents of the Second Amendment we have those who would like to see one less retailer selling guns.
That's just plain stupid. Remember when Dillards, Penney's, Sears, K Mart, Montgomery Ward and every freakin hardware store in America sold guns? I do.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When a fricking local shop wants $20.00 MORE that MSRP for a 10/22 and WalMart has it for $25.00 less than MSRP, I will buy from Walmart.

It is called capitalism.

It's not a "sob story" Larry it just a fact.

But I will say that I do miss many of the mom and pop stores that went out of business after WM.

Gander Mountain stores in the area can also be blamed for us loosing a few nice old gun shops too. I really miss a few of them. One was in business for 90 years, small mom and pop store with a great inventory of new and a lot of old too. One year after GM moved in up the road they closed because GM had better prices. Now that the small shops have closed GM's gun prices went up and section went down.
Sob story...well I guess it really is.

Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<––––FFL

Any gun shop put out of business by WalMart wasn't much of a gun shop to begin with.
Odd, isn't it that there are plenty of tire stores, clothing stores, sporting goods stores within sight of Wal Mart and they are doing just fine.
WalMart doesn't carry handguns (except Alaska) and has a very limited selection of firearms and ammunition. No premium ammunition, no leather or kydex holsters, no high end shotguns, no gunsmiths, and precious few employees that have a clue about firearms. If your local gun store is closing it isn't due to an inability to compete with WalMart its most likely an inability to run a business period. Mom and pop stores are for the financial enrichment of mom and pop.......and thats fine, but no more honorable than the profit making motives of a corporation

Funny isn't it, that as supposed proponents of the Second Amendment we have those who would like to see one less retailer selling guns.
That's just plain stupid. Remember when Dillards, Penney's, Sears, K Mart, Montgomery Ward and every freakin hardware store in America sold guns? I do.

I agree, as I said earlier WM has a vanilla selection of guns and they supply me with ammo mostly because it is the best price unless I am buying cases of things.

They don't sell Suppressors, Silencer Shop had the best price and got my money for that.
They don't sell handguns, Ace Sporting goods had the best price and got my money for the last one I bought.
They have zero reloading supplies in my area, Precision Delta had the best price on bullets and got that cash.
I always vote with my wallet and the local gun shops around me always look gun-show full of customers so it seems like an industry WM could never crush.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#28]
as long as you're looking at a 700 and not a 770, then you're GTG.

Stay away from 770s though.  Clunky, cheap plastic, bad F&F.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a WM mailer today that listed Colt 6920s for $1100!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#30]
A comment on the SPS stock. When I pick my 270WSM up my first thought was "this stock isn't going to be on here long" In the mean time I took the thing out and did some load developement and shooting - it was very accurate - I decided, hey this thing really shoots, I'm not going to bother changing anything. Now it's a hunting gun, not a target rifle, but anything that shoots under an inch at 100 and I shoot well enough that I'd take an animal at 500 (not that I wouldn't rather be closer) is good enough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called capitalism.

But I will say that I do miss many of the mom and pop stores that went out of business after WM.

Gander Mountain stores in the area can also be blamed for us loosing a few nice old gun shops too. I really miss a few of them. One was in business for 90 years, small mom and pop store with a great inventory of new and a lot of old too. One year after GM moved in up the road they closed because GM had better prices. Now that the small shops have closed GM's gun prices went up and section went down.

Oh boo fucking hoo.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is called capitalism.

Thanks for once again showing what you are.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The vast knowledge of ARFCOM has consistent confirmed this as fact.  I will never buy a firearm from walmart.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
The 700 sps is a decent deal on a decent rifle, source not withstanding..

I buy from local shops as often as possible. I dont expect "A Store" to compete with
the buying power of a single entity with 1000 stores' shelves to stock. That would be ... retarded.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've bought plenty from the local shops who WANT to sell me a firearm.

When I have to wade through shitty attitude or walk into a place with money in my pocket and practically have to BEG them to sell me something, I leave and go wherever they want my money more.

Some of those guys are their own worst enemy. There's one local guy (the one I've walked into SPECIFICALLY to support the local guy, WITH cash in hand) who I'm shocked is still open. He doesn't even bother to pull his stock of his safe anymore. When I approached him about getting a certain AR variant, he hadn't heard of it and wasn't interested in finding out about it.

Screw him. I found a 9mm AR at the next show and bought that instead.

Never bought a firearm at Walmart, though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast knowledge of ARFCOM has consistent confirmed this as fact.  I will never buy a firearm from walmart.

That WAS sarcasm, right?

A joke, even?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Lgs's are safe in my AO.
I can't even find the guy with the key to sell me a box of ammo, forget buying a rifle!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

capitalism
how does it work?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

capitalism

how does it work?

Monopoly...how does that work?

In time when there is only one store standing do you think you will get good prices?

Don't give me that capitalism, how does it work shit. I've been in many a small business and totally understand and support capitalism. Some of you totally miss the point.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

capitalism
how does it work?

Monopoly...how does that work?

In time when there is only one store standing do you think you will get good prices?

Don't give me that capitalism, how does it work shit. I've been in many a small business and totally understand and support capitalism. Some of you totally miss the point.

Not only do you fail at your understanding of capitalism, you don't understand what monopoly means either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called capitalism.

I totally agree!

Furthermore, I wouldn't mind seeing my local stores go away.  In the last 5 years they have went from being good to deal with (on used guns especially) to not budging on anything and more than once flat out lying to customers as I was looking at things.  I have no loyalty to a place that doesn't return (or at least respect) that loyalty.

Anymore I have become a "Amazon" shopper.  I just want to buy what I want and have it delivered to my door in a timely fashion.  No muss, no fuss, just let me make my purchase and leave me alone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

capitalism
how does it work?

MonopolyBetter business model...how does that work?

Wal-Mart buys guns from the same distributors as the LGS.  They just have a better business model and don't try to rape you on your gun purchase like some LGS do.

I realized just now that I do have one LGS that will do $20 transfers and has decent to good pricing on guns.  He also doesn't support the 2nd Amendment beyond shotguns, doesn't believe that I should be able to CCW, and is quite arrogant.  Why would I want to give him money vs going to Wal-Mart and buying my LE6920?

Wal-Mart is where they are today because they saw the big picture....sell on low margins but sell a lot.  They are not pro-union and despite what you hear on the news pay their workers pretty well (when I worked for them in college I made 40% more per hour than I made at the grocery store I worked at previously.  Yes, some things they sell are crap and I don't like all of their business practices but the consumer is treated pretty well.  I couldn't have near as nice of a lifestyle without the Wal-Marts, Sam's Club, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. of the world.......could you?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Just bought one!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, the gun you were looking at was a 700 ADL (uncataloged), not a SPS.  The ADL has a blind magazine and is made for big box stores.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is called capitalism.

Thanks for once again showing what you are.

Yeah, what I am is someone who understands how businesses run and how capitalism works.

You seem to be someone who neither understands what capitalism is nor what a monopoly is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]
wish Walmart would sell saiga rifles and shotguns........the guns are already a steal, I can only imagine what Walmart would sell them for 250-300$?

I'd have a whole stable of those things in every caliber.
I've seen them selling ARs for What it costs to build it really is incredible.

mom and pop or your local gun shop really can't compete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That WAS sarcasm, right?

A joke, even?

Was on my end... I don't care if a gun comes from wal-mart... I buy the gun for the manufactorers word, not theirs... If walmart happens to have what I want, I dont think twice about buying it there after I have held my product.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Original question...same guns. If the price is close, I always choose to spend my money with the LGS.  I prefer to support the smaller guy if possible.  When Walmart gets back to selling made in the USA, they may get some of my business.  I too own a small business and understand capitalism and monopolies. When the price difference is vast...cheapest will probably get my money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Original question...same guns. If the price is close, I always choose to spend my money with the LGS.  I prefer to support the smaller guy if possible.  When Walmart gets back to selling made in the USA, they may get some of my business.  I too own a small business and understand capitalism and monopolies. When the price difference is vast...cheapest will probably get my money.

Ah jeez.  The old "China Mart" bullshit.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I have bought some ammo at Walmart, it was cheaper locally than anywhere. Now it has competition from the big sporting goods stores, online stores, and even some LGS. For gun selection, a local gun store I have been going to for 18 years has no peer.  They started in the guy's back yard barn, he moved to a larger store, then moved to a huge store near the interstate, and employ more than a dozen employees. They have hundreds of guns, clothing, archery, safes and piles of ammo to pick from. Plus the LGS will take guns in trade. Just me, I don't think I'd buy a gun at Walmart, if something is wrong I have to send it back to the manufacturer. My LGS will take a broken new gun back and give me a new one. Been there, done that. If an LGS has the right stuff, it will grow and take business from Walmart.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top