Site Notices
Page / 124
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:

Do you know if they are still that low, recently I've found them for 1100+
View Quote
Not sure as I haven’t been looking but the Black got sub1,000. All the special colors were 1k-1100
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

Wear body armor while shooting
View Quote
Yeah, nah.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I went to the range today with the Cut & Pinned G28 on the ARX100 - cut at about 12.75" it functioned 100% reliable with 90 rds of IMI 55grain (recent Midway ammo) and 40 rds of  62 grain American Eagle from Acadamy Sports.  Its on the normal setting. feeds ejects as previous., BHO grabs the way it should on several mags (Sig mag, Beretta Factory Mag, some no name polymer mag and M2 Magpul pmag.

I did not try the Tula ammo as the range doesn't permit steel case ammo (except in AKs and SKS oddly enough)  Tula is usually the cheapest but also the weakest of 5.56 ammo - so that one still needs to be determined, but so far = so good.

The adaption of the flash hider is growing on me - I like it much better than the 16".
The guys at the shop /range counter liked it a lot!

Accuracy and point of impact was not changed noticeably (less than 25 yards on an indoor range and I try to sight it in for about a few inches low at 25 and it hit nearly where it did with 16".  Accuracy (as far as I can tell) was close to previous- ( not great, not terrible, old eyes , bifocals and big red dot).

It might be a little louder than before, but an indoor range might magnify that.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks for the range report!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Can anyone report on the factory SBR 10.5" barrel and how it shoots suppressed?

Good sling solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwpFNXyhTpU&t=229s

Shot 100 rounds or so through my ARX the other day. Ran flawlessly. Almost 700 rounds through mine with zero issues.

I would like an aftermarket lower that could take AR grips and a wider variety of magazines. I also would like an aftermarket stock, or a factory stock, so long as it had QD sockets for mounting slings.

I also wouldn't mind an extended rail, that was a bit less tall. The build in grenade launcher rail thing is unfortunate. I wonder if someone could laser machine or just machine that into pic rail so we don't have to use the pic rail adapter. An extended rail for more rail space would be nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By precisionphilosophy:
Can anyone report on the factory SBR 10.5" barrel and how it shoots suppressed?

Good sling solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwpFNXyhTpU&t=229s

Shot 100 rounds or so through my ARX the other day. Ran flawlessly. Almost 700 rounds through mine with zero issues.

I would like an aftermarket lower that could take AR grips and a wider variety of magazines. I also would like an aftermarket stock, or a factory stock, so long as it had QD sockets for mounting slings.

I also wouldn't mind an extended rail, that was a bit less tall. The build in grenade launcher rail thing is unfortunate. I wonder if someone could laser machine or just machine that into pic rail so we don't have to use the pic rail adapter. An extended rail for more rail space would be nice as well.
View Quote
Factory barrel shoots fine suppressed, but there’s a lot of gas to the face.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TATBME:

Factory barrel shoots fine suppressed, but there’s a lot of gas to the face.
View Quote
Any way to reduce that? Low backpressure can helps obviously. Do we have gas jets like SCARs?

Maybe it is better to just buy a factory 16" gun and have it chopped and the gas ports done custom to the right size?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
No jets for us...I mean...one could make one I suppose if they had the cash.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I lot of the gas comes from having a giant hole in the side of the gun for ambi-use. Thus why we're all waiting for LOS to finish the cover for such. It may not eliminate all, but will reduce the amount coming at your face.

I do think cutting a barrel and doing the gas ports would be better, but if you set it up for suppressed/ non-suppressed, there might be some problems with light ammo vs milspec stuff, not sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I had my local FFL who sells guns for $10 over cost try to get me a price on an ARX. Every single one of his distributors did not carry it, is Academy the only way to buy one new?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]
No idea...but at Academy's price...I wouldn't go anywhere else to get it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I just don't want to buy one if it's going to be an orphan. Anybody here have an FFL that can check their suppliers?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NightOwl:
I lot of the gas comes from having a giant hole in the side of the gun for ambi-use. Thus why we're all waiting for LOS to finish the cover for such. It may not eliminate all, but will reduce the amount coming at your face..
View Quote
The last proto EPC that was tested virtually eliminated 100% suppressor blowback to the covered side.. I’m working on the final design which will have integrated gas port exhaust chanels. I’m suspecting this EPC will be the cat’s meow.

Here’s my layman’s rendition [not to scale] of what the final product will look like.

Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Assuming this will be ambi correct?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By storminnorman:
I just don't want to buy one if it's going to be an orphan. Anybody here have an FFL that can check their suppliers?
View Quote
I've ordered spare parts for it...so I am good to go. Brownells has many...if they don't they will order direct from Beretta...I had my back ordered parts in about 2 weeks...I am still waiting on two that are slated for 9/14 stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LOS] [#15]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Assuming this will be ambi correct?
View Quote
Negative. The integrated gas port exhaust chanels make the EPC side-specific.

FYI, the Mil EPC was also side specific.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Safe to say that the ARX is far from being dead. I think we will see an A4 model the next year or two...maybe not as civilians...but who knows.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:24:33 AM EDT
[#18]
From the perspective of getting the most optimized setup for running suppressed, minimizing gas blowback and gas to face, and running reliably and accurate, if I want a 10.5" ARX should I go with the factory SBR 10.5" barrel/kit, or should I buy a 16" ARX and have a professional (ADCO) chop the barrel down to 10.5" and re-do the gas ports?

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
From what I've heard...you reverse the gas setting meaning when you chop the 16".

Factory setting meaning:

N-non standard, weak ammo
S-standard NATO ammo

16" chopped to 10.5":

N-normal gas setting
S-suppressor gas setting
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Sent my ARX barrel off to ADCO for chop. I asked them to chop to 10.3"-10.5"
Also asked them to ensure there was enough shoulder to mount the Dead Air muzzle brake I left on the barrel. Original ticket was $140, we'll see if they charge extra to do the shoulder device, gas port work, or removing the roll pin to remove the gas block. I called a while back and they said for that kind of chop they'll just leave the gas ports alone. I hope it isn't too gassy. I want the EPC device bad.

Also I've got this crazy idea to mill off the grenade launcher attachment section and mill in Mlok slots down there. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By precisionphilosophy:
Sent my ARX barrel off to ADCO for chop. I asked them to chop to 10.3"-10.5"
Also asked them to ensure there was enough shoulder to mount the Dead Air muzzle brake I left on the barrel. Original ticket was $140, we'll see if they charge extra to do the shoulder device, gas port work, or removing the roll pin to remove the gas block. I called a while back and they said for that kind of chop they'll just leave the gas ports alone. I hope it isn't too gassy. I want the EPC device bad.

Also I've got this crazy idea to mill off the grenade launcher attachment section and mill in Mlok slots down there. Thoughts?
View Quote
I wouldn't jack with the serialized upper...as you cannot get a replacement easily.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#22]
For those without an Academy near by, Bud's has ARX's for $899.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I picked up one recently at Academy and it has the 2 stage trigger.  Very low serial number 2018 mfg date.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Enjoy it. Then stock up on some spare parts from Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got around to putting a set of CZ Scorpion sights on my rifle, and I can't emphasize enough how happy I am with them.  Just perfect on the ARX with a cheek riser.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#26]
So.....
With a few online vendors offering the factory 10.5" SBR's @ $900 or slightly under, why SHOULDn't I get one?
Seems like a give away price frankly.
Having owned FN's Scar 16 and 17 how does it compare?
The triggers improved on my Scar's after the 1st 1000rnds or so. Does the ARX break in as well?
From the videos I've watched the ARX seems like quality.
Never have owned anything Beretta.
I'm a lefty so there's that. Large hands.
After the .gov may I fee and transfer I'm under $1200 OTD.
Low mount Trijicon MRO and call it good.
The looks have grown on me over the years. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m on the fence about which option I should choose.

1. Buy an SBR kit, do a Form-1 and SBR the rifle I already have and switch and swap barrels when the mood hits me and have extra parts.

or,

2. Buy the SBR version and have two complete rifles and hope Brownells or Beretta will have parts if I need them.

Both will require ATF fees and NFA jail time. Both are almost equal in price. When I look at the parts kits and compare the prices of the parts at Brownells, the prices of the individual parts at Brownells are really expensive.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Firecop203:
I’m on the fence about which option I should choose.

1. Buy an SBR kit, do a Form-1 and SBR the rifle I already have and switch and swap barrels when the mood hits me and have extra parts.

or,

2. Buy the SBR version and have two complete rifles and hope Brownells or Beretta will have parts if I need them.

Both will require ATF fees and NFA jail time. Both are almost equal in price. When I look at the parts kits and compare the prices of the parts at Brownells, the prices of the individual parts at Brownells are really expensive.
View Quote
Option 3 - Cut and thread the rifle length barrel to the SBR length - I cut mine to 12.7" for adding a "permanently attached" long brake and it functions well.  I did the threading, crowning myself.  You can get tools at CNC worrior and Brownells for DIY job.  Cheaper than options 1 or 2 and have tools for future projects.

The cost of buying a SBR barrel is oddly more than a new rifle!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Option 3 - Cut and thread the rifle length barrel to the SBR length - I cut mine to 12.7" for adding a "permanently attached" long brake and it functions well.  I did the threading, crowning myself.  You can get tools at CNC worrior and Brownells for DIY job.  Cheaper than options 1 or 2 and have tools for future projects.

View Quote
No, it's not. It's just Botach cutting up SBRs that aren't selling and selling less stuff for more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Have you fired more rounds through that setup that originally reported?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
#3 isn’t an option for me.

1. I don’t have the mechanical equipment to cut a barrel.
2. I don’t have the knowledge or skill to know how to cut, thread and crown a barrel properly.
3. I don’t want a permanently attached brake to make it 16” again.To me, it would defeat the purpose of cutting the barrel in the first place.
4. I want the factory 10.5 barrel because I don’t want to take the chance of gas port issues. If it’s factory made as a short barrel there shouldn’t be any gas port issues. If there are, I would think that Beretta would fix it.

I think I’m just going to buy the SBR kit and have extra parts. If Beretta pulls the same stunt Sig did with the 556, I’ll have parts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a bad option honestly.

Considering how much a complete bolt carrier group costs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Might be a silly question: is there supposed to be play in the barrel if you try to rotate it while it's in the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone had trouble with the folding stock lock on the receiver ?

With the way it locks, i have a concern it may break off with typical usage.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By miklofromthebarrio:
Might be a silly question: is there supposed to be play in the barrel if you try to rotate it while it's in the receiver?
View Quote
Yes. Part of the QD barrel design. Confirmed by Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Jman78:
Has anyone had trouble with the folding stock lock on the receiver ?

With the way it locks, i have a concern it may break off with typical usage.
View Quote
Beretta did 50,000 cycles on the design with a robot. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#37]
ADCO just sent me return shipping for my barrel chop. We'll see how they did soon!

Sorely tempted to buy a second ARX now (16") for spare parts, and chop that barrel to 14.5"
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Got barrel back from ADCO. Their turn around was super fast, and the work looks great! I can't wait to see how it shoots both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:40:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#39]
Safe to say that the ARX is far from being dead. I think we will see an A4 model the next year or two...maybe not as civilians...but who knows.
View Quote
The ARX is way under-rated.  Its a really nice rifle with a lot of features at a good price point.  It may look different from an AR-15, but that's a GOOD marketing strategy in an AR saturated environment.

I'm not sure why they haven't sold better (other than the appearance).
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
It does feel "flimsy", and I was concerned too. However, I've read elsewhere about the same testing procedure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
It does feel "flimsy", and I was concerned too. However, I've read elsewhere about the same testing procedure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mine are solid.  If yours has lockup tolerance issues, that's news to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#42]
There are no issues at all.  It locks up tight.  The plastic stock just feels cheap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#43]
There are no issues at all.  It locks up tight.  The plastic stock just feels cheap.
View Quote
Kel at Manticore has the same issue, which is why Manticore doesn't make aftermarket parts for the ARX.  Meanwhile, they support the CZ Scorpion, which is made of the same material.  Go figure.

The material "feel" is a perceptual issue that you'll either overcome, or not.  The rifle has been earning a sound rep for reliability & has held up well to abuse in the field.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#44]

The ARX is way under-rated.  Its a really nice rifle with a lot of features at a good price point.  It may look different from an AR-15, but that's a GOOD marketing strategy in an AR saturated environment.

I'm not sure why they haven't sold better (other than the appearance).
View Quote
You said it. “AR saturated environment”. AR platform rifles are EVERYWHERE! The availability of parts from hundreds of sources and the ability to to self customize with a platform that has been around since the sixties.

The downsides to the ARX are it’s looks, cost and availability of the proprietary parts and it’s relatively new.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#45]
ARX is now $900 new. Very affordable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Kel at Manticore has the same issue, which why Manticore doesn't make aftermarket parts for the ARX.  Meanwhile, they support the CZ Scorpion, which is made of the same material.  Go figure.

The material "feel" is a perceptual issue that you'll either overcome, or not.  The rifle has been earning a sound rep for reliability & has held up well to abuse in the field.
View Quote
I'm not knocking the ARX.  In fact, I REALLY like the gun.  It isn't perfect (my biggest compliant is the tiny charging handle ... and that little slip on knob Beretta sells is a joke ... I've lost two so far).  Overall, I'm a big ARX fan.  The stock just feels cheap (similar to how SCAR stocks feel).
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Firecop203:

You said it. “AR saturated environment”. AR platform rifles are EVERYWHERE! The availability of parts from hundreds of sources and the ability to to self customize with a platform that has been around since the sixties.

The downsides to the ARX are it’s looks, cost and availability of the proprietary parts and it’s relatively new.
View Quote
I see them online for around $900.  I don't consider this an issue when a base line BCM BFH AR is over $1000:

BCM Lower: $350-400
BCM BFH Upper w/o Handguards: $515
BCM BCG: $169
BCM CH: $49
Handguards: $30

That's $1113 to $1163 for a gun without a rear sight or magazine.

For $900 the Beretta includes two mags, a nice case, a functional sling, and a set of POS sights (that work but are funky).
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]

I see them online for around $900.  I don't consider this an issue when a base line BCM BFH AR is over $1000:

BCM Lower: $350-400
BCM BFH Upper w/o Handguards: $515
BCM BCG: $169
BCM CH: $49
Handguards: $30

That's $1113 to $1163 for a gun without a rear sight or magazine.

For $900 the Beretta includes two mags, a nice case, a functional sling, and a set of POS sights (that work but are funky).
View Quote
No one bases the cost index on a $800-1000 AR15 though, they compare it to a PSA lower+upper for like $350 or something. A Colt 6920 is comparable to a Beretta ARX100, give or take, and I think that's a fair comparison.

Of course, the advantage of the ARX is that it's not an AR15, so we should really compare it to other non-AR15's from major manufacturers. So lets compare the $799 or 899 to SIG MCX prices, or FN SCAR's or any other such gun... :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#49]
Yeah, I think it's only fair to compare the ARX to the other Gen 3 rifles... XCR, SCAR, ACR/MSBS and the CZ 805/806.

For some reason, ever since the ARX first came out people have been wanting to compare it to bottom of the barrel ARs and the Tavor. I've always thought that this thought process was kind of bizarre.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#50]

I'm not knocking the ARX.  In fact, I REALLY like the gun.  It isn't perfect (my biggest compliant is the tiny charging handle ... and that little slip on knob Beretta sells is a joke ... I've lost two so far).  Overall, I'm a big ARX fan.  The stock just feels cheap (similar to how SCAR stocks feel).
View Quote
I bought one and I haven’t had any problems with it. I did notice that it seems to fit tighter when rotated to one direction as opposed to the other. I think it has something to do with the position of the retaining spring mounted inside the handle.
Page / 124
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top