User Panel

Page / 124
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:39:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Sounds easy enough, thanks guys.
View Quote

It is easy but every time I've seen some gun reviewer on YouTube remove the barrel they are doing it wrong, including the Beretta factory reps.

Where they mess up is with locking the bolt back before they remove the barrel. They are simply locking the bolt back with the bolt catch where any slight jarring of the rifle will send the bolt home and if the barrel is not locked in place to catch it the plastic receiver can be damaged.

The correct way (and it is in the manual) is to pull the charging handle back to the notch where you pop it out and swing it into the ejection port in the receiver and center it, this locks the bolt back so it cannot be jarred into being sent crashing into the plastic receiver.

You really want to be careful about not damaging the upper receiver because it's the only part that you can't buy separately as a replacement part.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

It is easy but every time I've seen some gun reviewer on YouTube remove the barrel they are doing it wrong, including the Beretta factory reps.

Where they mess up is with locking the bolt back before they remove the barrel. They are simply locking the bolt back with the bolt catch where any slight jarring of the rifle will send the bolt home and if the barrel is not locked in place to catch it the plastic receiver can be damaged.

The correct way (and it is in the manual) is to pull the charging handle back to the notch where you pop it out and swing it into the ejection port in the receiver and center it, this locks the bolt back so it cannot be jarred into being sent crashing into the plastic receiver.

You really want to be careful about not damaging the upper receiver because it's the only part that you can't buy separately as a replacement part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well put!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Or you can toss an empty mag in the gun and pull the bolt back.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

View All Quotes

Good tip.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Sure, that would be better than locking the bolt back without a mag in the rifle but you could still accidentally hit the bolt release.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Sure, that would be better than locking the bolt back without a mag in the rifle but you could still accidentally hit the bolt release.
View All Quotes

And locking it with the charging handle notch will absolutely hold the bolt. It's still the best option for removing the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

It's possible but fortunately my bolt release remains stiff as hell.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
MAGAZINE PROMOTION UPDATE

Received first batch of magazines today.  (submission made around Oct 22nd)

View Quote

I havent received anything
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Me neither.  Submitted my paperwork to Beretta in August or September and haven't heard anything from them except getting a few emails with ARX videos.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#11]
What all did you have to submit, I don't have a copy of my 4473, but I do have a copy of my receipt with serial number.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#12]
You can use your 4473 or receipt than go here: http://info.beretta.com/2016-arx-promo

I just emailed them and got the code.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
You can use your 4473 or receipt than go here: http://info.beretta.com/2016-arx-promo

View Quote

Thank You, just submitted mine as well!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

I submitted mine before the trade, so I wonder if yours will go through.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Good question!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#16]
Searched but I came up dry. Has anyone tried Lancer L5 AWMs with the ARX-100? Do they seat and feed okay?

I'm looking at stocking up on some of those for my 5.56 ARs, and it'd be nice if they could pull double duty once I add an ARX-100 to the collection (unlike current gen PMAGs).
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Frost7:
Searched but I came up dry. Has anyone tried Lancer L5 AWMs with the ARX-100? Do they seat and feed okay?

I'm looking at stocking up on some of those for my 5.56 ARs, and it'd be nice if they could pull double duty once I add an ARX-100 to the collection (unlike current gen PMAGs).
View Quote

L5s  are a no go
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:

L5s  are a no go
View All Quotes

L5s  are a no go

They work with mine, Lancers are the only mags I use.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I run DH USGI mags with Magpul followers. Guaranteed to always work with all platforms.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TATBME:

View All Quotes

L5s  are a no go

I think there's a bit of a generational misunderstanding.

The original L5 magazine had an overinsertion lip around the mag body that will prevent it from fitting the ARX. The second gen L5A did away with this, as well as the third gen L5 AWM.  L5A and L5 AWM are both good to go in the ARX but the original L5 will not work.

I have a bunch of each generation, they're all good magazines for the things they fit in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
An ARX 100 is in the running for my next rifle purchase but I would like a little feedback before I make a final decision.

I've heard that the charging handle is a little difficult to operate as you tend to smack your finger on the shell deflector. Is this a problem for most people and if so is there a fix for it?

Is there anything about it that just bugs the crap out of you and wish you could change?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't had any issue with the charging handle, however I did buy the enlarged charging handle from Beretta which was a cheap and factory improvement.

It's a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

The Lancer AWMs work perfect in the ARX, not so much in my Colt
ARs though (as far as holding the bolt open after the last shot).
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#24]
An ARX 100 is in the running for my next rifle purchase but I would like a little feedback before I make a final decision.

I've heard that the charging handle is a little difficult to operate as you tend to smack your finger on the shell deflector. Is this a problem for most people and if so is there a fix for it?

Is there anything about it that just bugs the crap out of you and wish you could change?

View Quote

I have had no issue with the stock ARX charging handle at all but if you do there is a charging handle extension available from Beretta.

Also, the stock trigger didn't bug me at first but it did eventually so I upgraded to the Shooting Sight 2 stage trigger.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#25]

View Quote

To add, my one complaint on the ARX. Lack of qd cups for slings. I ordered some magpul clips, and strung some paracord loops to make it work, but man do I wish there was a quick qd option.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 5:07:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#26]

View Quote

Nothing really bugs me per say....I wish it had a full pic rail under the standard handguard cover...but a cheap $30 add on fixes it. Love the rifle and ergos. Beretta's responses to my questions are great too...usually I get a response within 24-48hrs.

It gets the same accuracy essentially as all my other rifles with M855.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I do end up with an ARX it will be SBRed at some point as well. I really wish the barrels weren't $450 but I guess it is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I do end up with an ARX it will be SBRed at some point as well. I really wish the barrels weren't $450 but I guess it is what it is.
View Quote

That's still 1/3rd the price of SCAR bbl assy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

View All Quotes

Holy shit! I didn't know they were that high
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I sold my old barrel for $325 to offset the cost, if I need a 16" I'd pick up something else.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I love the ARX platform.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my free mags. Took about 5 days to process everything once I received my code.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Botach has them for $1024 shipped. Dang good deal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#35]
For some reason this thread has disappeared from "My Topics" with the new site changes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#36]
It's down to either an ARX100 or Tavor. Would any of you happen to own both?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TATBME] [#37]
View Quote

I do, and I prefer the ARX over the Tavor YMMV.

ETA: especially at the $1024 price tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#38]
View Quote

I picked the ARX as my final 3rd gen rifle. I've owned 2 Tavors. Great rifle. I also owned a SCAR and I think the ARX brings a lot more value to the table.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#39]

I picked the ARX as my final 3rd gen rifle. I've owned 2 Tavors. Great rifle. I also owned a SCAR and I think the ARX brings a lot more value to the table.
View All Quotes

What did you like better about the ARX vs the Tavor and SCAR?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I have one Tavor SAR and two ARX-100s.  The dollars to donuts evaluation says you get more with the ARX for the price.

They both have crappy triggers from the factory.  I found a used X95 hammer pack to improve that on the SAR, and while it is is subjectively better, the break is a little mushier than it was before.  The ARX triggers are HEAVY, and my FDE one seems to be worse than the original black one.  I plan on getting Shooting Sight triggers for both ARXs, though they are pretty expensive.  Call it a wash on the trigger.  They both suck stock, they both can be fixed for a price.

The SAR is somewhat more accurate from my limited testing of mine side-by-side.  I think it comes down to mechanical accuracy, as the barrel retention on the Tavor is more solid compared to the ARX.  The trade off being the ARX barrel is designed to be so simple to remove that a caveman could do it.  While the SAR is more accurate, the ARX isn't horrific.  I'd put it ahead of the X95 based on what I've seen.  (I don't own an X95 and likely won't because of the barrel issues.)

The Tavor is heavier, but as with bullpups, it is distributed rather well.  The ARX is extremely lightweight and feels pretty good when shouldered.

ARX has some pretty well-thought-out ergonomics.  The position of the mag release and bolt release are both good, and the completely ambi design of the rifle is amazing.  I'll only ever shoot right-handed, but when it comes time to introduce my kids to shooting (both lefties), knowing that I can switch the charging handle and ejection over in a couple seconds is nice.  The Tavor can be converted, but it's more involved, requires dedicated left-hand parts, and not "on the fly" like the ARX.

The Tavor has the edge on magazine compatibility, with pretty much any AR mag I've found fitting.  The ARX mag well is extremely restrictive as the FS2000 is the only thing I know of that's actually worse.  Anything too wide or with overinsertion stops won't work on the ARX, so PMAG Gen M3, ETS translucent, HK translucent, etc are all out.  But any aluminum or steel USGI-style mag is fine, and Lancer L5A and L5AWM mags work great too.  (The FS2000 will only take the metal USGI-style.)  So while it is annoying the ARX is pretty restrictive, I've been living with it on the FS2000 for a long time and there are plenty of high-quality choices that still work.

My Tavor had some problems last time I was out with suppressed fire, but there was a lot of factory grease on the inside so I can't hold that against it.  I did a deep-clean not long ago and the action feels a lot smoother.  Didn't have the right muzzle device on the ARX to try it suppressed at the time.  The ARX barrel is threaded correctly for 1/2x28 where the Tavor is "extra long" with a lock nut.  Both probably fine suppressed.

The Tavor has a 9mm conversion that's almost as expensive a 9mm AR and a possible 300BLK barrel coming "soon".  Supposedly Beretta plans caliber conversions for the ARX but the only thing available now is the 10.5" SBR kit.  The military ARX-160 is available in 7.62x39 so I keep hoping to see that though it'll probably come at the same time as factory ACR barrels.  Hopefully Beretta gets going on the barrels and conversions, though outside of installing the lower rail over the GLX mounting point, it doesn't need much.  The market has definitely embraced the Tavor for add-ons and doo-dads.

All said and done, I bought a second ARX and think the upgraded X95 is a step-backwards outside of a handful of ergo improvements.  The SAR and the ARX are both great rifles with military pedigrees but I find I like shooting the ARX more.  With the ARX being easily available for $1000 ± 100 versus the Tavor at $1600 ± 100, you get a lot more rifle with the ARX.  So even if you wanted that $200 trigger and $40 lower rail for the ARX, you still come out ahead compared to the the Tavor's stock price.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#41]
The only thing I don't have is the aftermarket trigger, coming soon.

Attachment Attached File

For size comparison
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#42]

What did you like better about the ARX vs the Tavor and SCAR?
View Quote

Tavor: I actually felt very cluster phobic and it had a very heavy rear bias...essentially...for me...it was hard to "roll" the rifle when clearing sectors...it was just not nimble enough...felt very stationary...I think the X95 solved that issue with the smaller buttpad design that doesnt have such a height...however I have not handled the X95.

SCAR: I think my biggest gripe was that for a very very expensive rifle it offered nothing over my LWRC besides cool looks. The trigger is worst than an ARX...while replaceable it will cost you a cool $300+ dollars for one....and it offered the same accuracy as my ARX...so I sold it.

ARX offered me a complete ambi setup, quick detach barrel that I can very easily service, clean running rifle, combat accuracy on par with my ARs with M855/M193...cheaper...and as far as the ergos when doing dynamic movements and such it just won that all around. I am very closely considering picking another one up and SBRing it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Tavor: I actually felt very cluster phobic and it had a very heavy rear bias...essentially...for me...it was hard to "roll" the rifle when clearing sectors...it was just not nimble enough...felt very stationary...I think the X95 solved that issue with the smaller buttpad design that doesnt have such a height...however I have not handled the X95.

SCAR: I think my biggest gripe was that for a very very expensive rifle it offered nothing over my LWRC besides cool looks. The trigger is worst than an ARX...while replaceable it will cost you a cool $300+ dollars for one....and it offered the same accuracy as my ARX...so I sold it.

ARX offered me a complete ambi setup, quick detach barrel that I can very easily service, clean running rifle, combat accuracy on par with my ARs with M855/M193...cheaper...and as far as the ergos when doing dynamic movements and such it just won that all around. I am very closely considering picking another one up and SBRing it.
View Quote

SCAR has no point IMO other than for FN to make like HK and milk gun buyers for shitloads of money on a product that is tied or beaten by much cheaper ones. Goes for both calibers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Hammer] [#44]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

I have one Tavor SAR and two ARX-100s.  The dollars to donuts evaluation says you get more with the ARX for the price.

They both have crappy triggers from the factory.  I found a used X95 hammer pack to improve that on the SAR, and while it is is subjectively better, the break is a little mushier than it was before.  The ARX triggers are HEAVY, and my FDE one seems to be worse than the original black one.  I plan on getting Shooting Sight triggers for both ARXs, though they are pretty expensive.  Call it a wash on the trigger.  They both suck stock, they both can be fixed for a price.

The SAR is somewhat more accurate from my limited testing of mine side-by-side.  I think it comes down to mechanical accuracy, as the barrel retention on the Tavor is more solid compared to the ARX.  The trade off being the ARX barrel is designed to be so simple to remove that a caveman could do it.  While the SAR is more accurate, the ARX isn't horrific.  I'd put it ahead of the X95 based on what I've seen.  (I don't own an X95 and likely won't because of the barrel issues.)

The Tavor is heavier, but as with bullpups, it is distributed rather well.  The ARX is extremely lightweight and feels pretty good when shouldered.

ARX has some pretty well-thought-out ergonomics.  The position of the mag release and bolt release are both good, and the completely ambi design of the rifle is amazing.  I'll only ever shoot right-handed, but when it comes time to introduce my kids to shooting (both lefties), knowing that I can switch the charging handle and ejection over in a couple seconds is nice.  The Tavor can be converted, but it's more involved, requires dedicated left-hand parts, and not "on the fly" like the ARX.

The Tavor has the edge on magazine compatibility, with pretty much any AR mag I've found fitting.  The ARX mag well is extremely restrictive as the FS2000 is the only thing I know of that's actually worse.  Anything too wide or with overinsertion stops won't work on the ARX, so PMAG Gen M3, ETS translucent, HK translucent, etc are all out.  But any aluminum or steel USGI-style mag is fine, and Lancer L5A and L5AWM mags work great too.  (The FS2000 will only take the metal USGI-style.)  So while it is annoying the ARX is pretty restrictive, I've been living with it on the FS2000 for a long time and there are plenty of high-quality choices that still work.

My Tavor had some problems last time I was out with suppressed fire, but there was a lot of factory grease on the inside so I can't hold that against it.  I did a deep-clean not long ago and the action feels a lot smoother.  Didn't have the right muzzle device on the ARX to try it suppressed at the time.  The ARX barrel is threaded correctly for 1/2x28 where the Tavor is "extra long" with a lock nut.  Both probably fine suppressed.

The Tavor has a 9mm conversion that's almost as expensive a 9mm AR and a possible 300BLK barrel coming "soon".  Supposedly Beretta plans caliber conversions for the ARX but the only thing available now is the 10.5" SBR kit.  The military ARX-160 is available in 7.62x39 so I keep hoping to see that though it'll probably come at the same time as factory ACR barrels.  Hopefully Beretta gets going on the barrels and conversions, though outside of installing the lower rail over the GLX mounting point, it doesn't need much.  The market has definitely embraced the Tavor for add-ons and doo-dads.

All said and done, I bought a second ARX and think the upgraded X95 is a step-backwards outside of a handful of ergo improvements.  The SAR and the ARX are both great rifles with military pedigrees but I find I like shooting the ARX more.  With the ARX being easily available for $1000 ± 100 versus the Tavor at $1600 ± 100, you get a lot more rifle with the ARX.  So even if you wanted that $200 trigger and $40 lower rail for the ARX, you still come out ahead compared to the the Tavor's stock price.
View Quote

Very nice overview! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with those rifles.

The ARX seems like it would be a really good choice, especially for the price. I love my 10.5" suppressed AR and would end up SBRing the ARX as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blast] [#45]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

View Quote

How do you like the FDE color on the ARX? I was going to go with an FDE version but the pictures I've seen kind of makes it seem toyish looking. Never seen an FDE ARX in person, I know sometimes photo's can be misleading of what it really looks like in person.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#46]

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402051/IMG-3276-96681.JPG

For size comparison
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402051/IMG-3300-96688.JPG
View Quote

What's your FAV of those beauties?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Findsman] [#47]
Originally Posted By Blast:

How do you like the FDE color on the ARX? I was going to go with an FDE version but the pictures I've seen kind of makes it seem toyish looking. Never seen an FDE ARX in person, I know sometimes photo's can be misleading of what it really looks like in person.
View Quote
I had posted these pics back when I got it:

It's very much a coyote brown instead of FDE.  Close to the ACR's coloration.  I like it a lot more than Magpul FDE (which you can see on the RVG I have on the ARX) for sure.

ETA - I originally was waiting on the FDE version, but the Botach deals were too good and I got the black first.  Had they released at the same time, I probably would only have the FDE (coyote!) version.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402051/IMG-3276-96681.JPG

For size comparison
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/402051/IMG-3300-96688.JPG

Besides the AR, the Bren is by far my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#49]
BREN is an amazing rifle too....but at current ARX prices...I'll take two ARXs to one BREN
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Besides the AR, the Bren is by far my favorite.
View Quote

Not to hijack from the ARX thread here, but still taking the AR over the 805? hummm....
Page / 124
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top