Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2012 7:52:12 AM EDT
Hi all
I have an old beater single shot shotgun with a 30 inch barrel.

I am going to DuraCoat it. But before sandblasting all the rust off I want to shorten the barrel to 18 1/2 inches (I know the legal limit is 18 inches).

This is my question: Do I include the chamber when measuring? or Do I measure AFTER the chamber?

I don't want to guess. Please back-up your anwser with link.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Close the bolt. INsert a rod down the barrel until it touches the bolt face. Mark or tape the rod at the end of the barrel.  Measure rod.

Error on the plus side when you cut.  Add 1/8 or 1/4"
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget that overall length is as important as the barrel length.

Graphic depiction of both here
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Overall length won't matter with 18"+ barrel will it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Close the bolt. INsert a rod down the barrel until it touches the bolt face. Mark or tape the rod at the end of the barrel.  Measure rod.

Error on the plus side when you cut.  Add 1/8 or 1/4"

The above covers the rules for most firearms.  A revolver doesn't include the chamber as part of the barrel.  If you had a floating chamber like the .22 Ace conversion for the 1911 I imagine you would have to measure the barrel with the insert removed just to be safe.  
LINK

Since OP doesn't trust intelligence/knowledge of any subsequent post I provided the link.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HELL yes.  State laws may even have tighter restrictions than Federal in some States.
I recall one state has a OAL folded requirement for which folding pistol caliber carbine had slightly longer barrel version.
Folding stock on 16" barrel 10/22 is close to limits.  It may require 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HELL yes.  State laws may even have tighter restrictions than Federal in some States.
I recall one state has a OAL folded requirement for which folding pistol caliber carbine had slightly longer barrel version.
Folding stock on 16" barrel 10/22 is close to limits.  It may require 18" barrel.

That is for rifle tho isn't it?  A shot gun with pistol grip and 18" barrel would be very short.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The 18 inch barrel AND 26 inch overall length are a hard Federal minimum for shotguns.  Some states will have more restrictive limits.

At the trial for Randy Weaver, lawyer Gary Spence held up the shotgun Weaver had cut off.
The gun had an 18 inch barrel, but Weaver had cut the wood stock off too short and failed to meet the minimum 26 inch over all length.

Spence basically won the case when he held up the gun and told the jury that three people had been killed over 3/8's of an inch of cheap hardwood.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy Weaver's wife and son would beg to differ.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Error on the plus side when you cut.  Add 1/8 or 1/4"[/quote]

Stated by a man who has done it.

+1.  I always add 1/2" depending on how bad the cut went and what it takes to true it up.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Randy Weaver's wife and son would beg to differ.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top