Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2012 6:38:15 AM EDT
I was shooting a Mk III 22/45 Saturday, and it was having quite a few problems. Many times, it would have several failure to feed in one mag, and sometimes a failure to eject (the casing would get caught in the bolt on its way out). I was shooting Winchester 555. I know it is shitty ammo, but it had problems with CCI mini-mags as well. Normally I could just cycle the bolt and it would feed the round and keep shooting. It was a chilly day, about 40 deg F, I know that isn't freezing on any standard, but I think it is the coldest weather the weapon has been shot in.

This is the way it was cleaned before this trip-
––-bolt scrubbed spotless, as well as the barrel because it was removed from the pistol grip assembly
––- for the trigger and other parts in the grip, I flushed them with boiling water then blew it all out with compressed air.
––- everything was oiled with ATF

Any ideas? The pistol has not impressed me very much, am I doing something horribly wrong in cleaning?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Try some different ammo.  How many rounds have been fired through it?  My MKII 22-45 was a little finiky untill it was broken in well.  Now it eats anything.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking, but at least 1200 rounds have gone though it I would say. I have tried all the cheap bricks that Wally World sells, none of them were noticeably better than the others. I suppose I  will just keep clearing jams and shooting the hell out of it. How many rounds did yours take to get broken in?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably won't help but here's a couple more things to ponder:

Try something a little thinner than ATF like CLP.

Make sure there are no burrs on the extractor or bolt face.

Make certain the extractor moves in it's full stroke freely.

Make certain there are no burrs on the breech face at the chamber mouth.

Finally check for burrs or roughness on the magazine feed lips.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You may need to polish the chamber and  feedramp with Flitz on a dremel.

Then oil your cartridges. Yes, soak them with oil before shooting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammo.

that stuff sucks and jams most of my .22's
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There are no burrs anywhere,  it used to get run with Remoil, maybe it will get that again. Polishing may be an option, dammit
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine never jammed after the first bick of ammo.  I'd call ruger.  Bet they'll fix it for you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine never jammed after the first bick of ammo.  I'd call ruger.  Bet they'll fix it for you.

If not a lube change, then this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not a lube change, then this.

Sounds like a plan. I have never dealt with a problem like this with a mfg before, would they just take the weapon and see what they could do with it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't do it.... Look it up on the internet. Even a .22 could end up with high chamber pressure due to oil. You want a clean dry chamber. Use Alcohol to clean the chamber. Don't oil your cartridges... Please.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Try different lube, better/different ammo, and get a Volquartsen extractor.  That usually solves most issues you'll find on MKII/MKIII's.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Did not see it here but did you try different mags?  Always try different mags and ammo when having issues.  .22 LR is known to like specific ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it.... Look it up on the internet. Even a .22 could end up with high chamber pressure due to oil. You want a clean dry chamber. Use Alcohol to clean the chamber. Don't oil your cartridges... Please.

Look it up at Camp Perry and many thousands of shooting leagues around the country.

It is a trick I learned from my fellow Bullseye competitors.  Never had extraction problems again.   This only applies to the 22lr.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
When I got my Ruger MKII years ago, it would jam and not feed or eject rounds.  I called Ruger and they said to send it in which I did.  I got a phone call a few days later from them and the person there asked me if I was trying to shoot Remminginton Thunderbolt ammo through it to which I replied yes.  

He said, and I quote, "NEVER use unjacketed ammo in our MKII pistols.  The lead is too soft and distorts when the bullet hits the ramp into the chamber.  Please use jacketed ammo and it will be fine".

Since then, I have ALWAYS used CCI jacketed bullets and it NEVER has a problem with loading rounds or ejecting rounds in and out of it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I got my Ruger MKII years ago, it would jam and not feed or eject rounds.  I called Ruger and they said to send it in which I did.  I got a phone call a few days later from them and the person there asked me if I was trying to shoot Remminginton Thunderbolt ammo through it to which I replied yes.  

He said, and I quote, "NEVER use unjacketed ammo in our MKII pistols.  The lead is too soft and distorts when the bullet hits the ramp into the chamber.  Please use jacketed ammo and it will be fine".

Since then, I have ALWAYS used CCI jacketed bullets and it NEVER has a problem with loading rounds or ejecting rounds in and out of it.

I have never seen jacketed .22LR bullets from CCI or anyone else. I've only seen plated bullets. That said, I use plain old lead bullet .22 in my 22/45 all the time. If I start to get failures, I know it's time to clean the gun AND disassemble/clean the magazines. Usually good for another 1000 rounds or so, mostly shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen jacketed .22LR bullets from CCI or anyone else. I've only seen plated bullets. That said, I use plain old lead bullet .22 in my 22/45 all the time. If I start to get failures, I know it's time to clean the gun AND disassemble/clean the magazines. Usually good for another 1000 rounds or so, mostly shooting suppressed.

I'm seeing this.  I just pushed 27K rnds in 2 years with a MKIII 22/45 factory threaded and after a good cleaning it'll run for about 800 rnds before I start having issues.  The most common will be the second round in the mag will feed and fire, but upon ejection will get stuck on the left side of the upper between the "guide rod" and the loaded chamber indicator...with the third round in the mag 1/2 way in the chamber because the bolt is held open by the spent casing wedged up in there.  I need to change the extractor out on this one to a Volquartsen and I've considered ordering a second loaded chamber indicator and cutting off the "paddle" to keep that area opened up.  Even with this issue...like I said...I'm going 700-900rnds from clean to dirty before seeing these issues.  This is all with bulk pack Winchester Xpert (lead bullet) and Federal (plated bullet).  Both seem pretty weak and dirty compared to CCI.  I did run a test with CCI and made it about 1200rnds before I started to see issues...so it's definitely cleaner ammo.

CMS

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Remove LCI
remove mag safety
Fluff and buff polish with dremel
get this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243182/majestic-arms-32-speed-strip-kit-ruger-mark-i-ii-iii-22-45
I only use CLP

quick clean every 250 rounds or so , never have an issue with my MK3.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#18]
It's likely ammo, and I agree with a thinner lube.  While I know WD-40 is not a lube, it's all I've used on my Mk-II for a decade.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#19]
All I use is Remoil, never any problems with my MKIII. IDK about that 1200 rd break-in, if I was having FTF/FTE after 120 rounds I'd be cleaning the gun or sending back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All I use is Remoil, never any problems with my MKIII. IDK about that 1200 rd break-in, if I was having FTF/FTE after 120 rounds I'd be cleaning the gun or sending back to Ruger.

Thank you all. It stays clean so I suppose Remoil it is again. Also a change in brick ammo as well. If all else fails Ruger can fight it!

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]

This!!!

Quoted:

Remove LCI

remove mag safety

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This!!!

Quoted:
Remove LCI
remove mag safety

What is the mag safety and how do I go about removing either of those?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy a volquartsen MKII hammer bushing and take the mag safety out.  Google it....there's plenty of youtube videos and posts elsewhere on how to do it.

CMS
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Buy a volquartsen MKII hammer bushing and take the mag safety out.  Google it....there's plenty of youtube videos and posts elsewhere on how to do it.

CMS

MK II hammer in a MK III?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Put a MKII hammer bushing in the MKIII.  It will fill the gap left by removing the magazine disconnect safety.

CMS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top