Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Page:  / 12
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:08:58 PM
http://firearmsandtraining.blogspot.com/2012/01/2012-shot-show-robinson-arms-xcr-m.html'

Nice series of pics of the new XCR-M

I have to give Alex credit. He is not afraid to take another look at his designs. The M has many features and improvement over the L that have been mentioned over the years. This blog breaks them down.

All that being said, most are minor changes and don't bother me in the L, but it is interesting how he didn't settle for good enough. (Now we know he was actually doing something these past 3 years) I suppose it is possible some of these changes will make it into the L one day....

Can't wait for the range reports. Who has the $2300 to give it a try?
fosters
FDCC Paparazzi
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 8:47:57 AM
I'm digging the XCR-m...I was a very early adopter of the XCR-l and have been satisfied with its performance...the idea of a 7.62. XCR sounds sexy...however it's but a kick in the pants in price from a Repr or OBR in the grand scheme of things
When I'm good noone remembers...
When I'm bad....noone forgets
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2012 5:12:52 PM
Originally Posted By zulthor:
I tried one with this stock:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=o0i&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1067&bih=728&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=QLHwt5QAORscHM:&imgrefurl=http://onpointsupply.com/cart.php%3Fpage%3Drobinson_arms_xcr_pdw&docid=NjT3zdcZ0oPFYM&imgurl=http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/robinson_xcr_pdw_1.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=9rgYT5P9PKGciAKAvpCsCA&zoom=1

I only shot 1 magazine so I can't say anything about reliability but they are supposed to be good. The trigger wasn't bad but it wasn't like a nice ar-15 trigger. The gun was very front heavy when compared to an ar-15. From a standing position I didn't really care for it.

Heavy or light barrel ?

My guess is it had the old style FCG as the post 2009 "new" FCG has light crisp smooth pull and clean break, light years ahead of my best AR15 stock trigger.

A side by side comparison of the later XCR trigger to match triggers like Giessele, Jewel etc is needed I think.
wtwining
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:52:37 PM
Are the barrels 1/8 or 1/7 on the XCR-L standard?
bcauz3y
I'm a Tactical penguin
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:54:27 PM
Where the hell do guys buy these?

I can't find them anywhere.
...I do understand that it is the profession that all others are expert save the people actually embroiled in it.
-Natty_Bumppo
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2012 7:42:07 PM
[Last Edit: 1/23/2012 7:45:32 PM by B44T]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Your favorite FFL can order you one from the factory or from these two dealers.

Kermit Zahn
Wild Thang Farms
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, ID 83617-9158
(208) 365-6582

Little Jack's Guns
Milton FL
(503) 708 4740
littlejacksguns@gmail.com

There is another one in CO. but I forget who it is.

The factory offers a discount that is *Ahem* generous to bona fide Military and L.E.

I would push you towards the dealers as methinks the factory is swamped right now especially with the release of the new FAST stock and XCR-M in .308

Another option is watch the E.E. here for used one and a last resort would be G.B.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2012 7:47:25 PM
Originally Posted By wtwining:

Dunno about 1/8 but 1/9 is the default standard unless you specify the 1/7 option.
Ashraam
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2012 9:09:55 AM

Originally Posted By B44T:

Kermit Zahn
Wild Thang Farms
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, ID 83617-9158
(208) 365-6582

Little Jack's Guns
Milton FL
(503) 708 4740

The factory offers a discount that is *Ahem* generous to bona fide Military and L.E.

I would push you towards the dealers as methinks the factory is swamped right now especially with the release of the new FAST stock and XCR-M in .308

Another option is watch the E.E. here for used one and a last resort would be G.B.

The dealer in Colorado is Jensen Arms. That's who I purchased mine through.

Bravery will take you into the most dangerous of places. Overwhelming firepower will see you safely through them. ~ The Book of Cataclysm
bradpierson26
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2012 9:28:48 AM
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

Kermit Zahn
Wild Thang Farms
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, ID 83617-9158
(208) 365-6582

Little Jack's Guns
Milton FL
(503) 708 4740

Jensen's has multiple in stock including factory SBRs. They say they have a decent working relationship with Alex: "as good as one cane be."
Grocerystore_ninja
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2012 12:36:05 PM
when I get ready to buy mine i am going to just call Alex, He also has a le/mil discount
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2012 1:46:59 AM
One facet of the XCR that is overlooked is the ease of service.

One punch, one crescent wrench and a couple hex wrenches are all the tools an armorer needs to completely dis assemble and reassemble the XCR down to the last pin and spring.

In that regard it is easier to build, rebuild and repair than an AK47 IMHO.

Common hand tools available in every hardware store and sprawlmart in north America. The set can fit in your pocket.
wtwining
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2012 2:46:26 PM

Dunno about 1/8 but 1/9 is the default standard unless you specify the 1/7 option.

They sell 1/7 replacement barrels?
Didn't see them on the web page.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/26/2012 10:14:18 PM

They sell 1/7 replacement barrels?

Yup, for some time now.

Didn't see them on the web page.

The new website does have better graphics but could use an update or two.

Call or email the dealers or the factory for your 1/7 barrel.

Martens
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:03:23 AM
Got my ACR stock adaptor. Here's a quick couple of pics:

So far it does what I had hoped. The cheek weld is very tight. Looks pretty good as well. Need to get a sling mount for the end of the receiver as I don't like it on the end of the buttstock.
eodcolret
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 12:18:25 PM
Originally Posted By Martens:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/Martens813/XCRACR2-1.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/Martens813/XCRACR1-1.jpg

So far it does what I had hoped. The cheek weld is very tight. Looks pretty good as well. Need to get a sling mount for the end of the receiver as I don't like it on the end of the buttstock.

How does the color matchup with the ACR Stock? Was your ACR originally FDE cerekoted or did you get everything done after you added the ACR stock?
Martens
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:48:00 PM
I took the chance on an airsoft ACR stock and the color match is spot on with the VFG, grip, and rail covers. The anodizing on the adaptor is off, but I plan to take care of that.
SkagSig40
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:01:57 PM
Originally Posted By Martens:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/Martens813/XCRACR2-1.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/Martens813/XCRACR1-1.jpg

Looks really good! Is that reall an airsoft stock? How is the durability?
Martens
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 3:11:23 PM
Got some quick range time today and it shoots nice. In dry drills, it looked like the scope would be at a good height. On the range, it was a little low and I was looking through the top of the scope. I'll be switching to a taller mount soon. Useable but not quite what I prefer. The irons are real tight and I have to slide down the slope of the stock. Still plenty accurate on torso size targets out to 100 yards.

Does anyone know if the cheek piece comes off? That might solve my problem.

Probably stick with the low irons as they are back up sights that so far have only gotten used for training.

None of this has anything to do with the quality of design and execution of the adaptor. It does what it was supposed to in raising the height of the stock.

As for the quality of the stock, the plastic feels as good as the tango down and magpul pieces on the gun. I haven't handled a genuine ACR stock, so I don't know if it works the same or not, but the buttstock doesn't lock up real tight in extension. It is possible to pull the stock out with moderate force and you don't have to depress the detent buttons. Compression is no problem and it locks up tight. When I was using the rear sling swivel on the stock and slung the rifle, it extended on its on once out of about 20 times. I can't imagine that it would ever get caught in the "field" enough to extend on its on. If it does, the gun still works fine, just with a longer LOP.

For me it was worth the chance and the color match.
fosters
FDCC Paparazzi
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:37:52 PM
Looks great...if the function is as you say..great news!
How about a link to the manufacturer
When I'm good noone remembers...
When I'm bad....noone forgets
NUcadet07
Pirate Boy
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:41:47 PM

There are usually a few on the EE, I bought mine from a local shop for 1200 cash.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:21:40 PM

Kermit Zahn
Wild Thang Farms
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, ID 83617-9158
(208) 365-6582

Little Jack's Guns
Milton FL
(503) 708 4740

What is your opinion of them ?
bradpierson26
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:59:53 PM

Kermit Zahn
Wild Thang Farms
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, ID 83617-9158
(208) 365-6582

Little Jack's Guns
Milton FL
(503) 708 4740

What is your opinion of them ?

I know you didn't ask me but I'll chime in anyways. IMHO, they're a bunch of stand up guys. Craig and Jeff are both heavily investing class 3 stuff and know their shit. Craig spoke highly of the XCR and didn't say anything negative about Alex. Prices are good, I've bought a complete lower and a pistol from them as well as $100s of other shooting crap/ammo/accessories.
Allegedly they are responsible for over half of the suppressor sales in the state! Above one of their counters, they have a 10" XCR hanging from the ceiling
SkagSig40
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:29:02 AM
I Bought my XCR feom Jensens also. Great gun shop and good guys!
slanted
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2012 1:29:40 PM
I had my local FFL order from Robinson. Kind of a pain for them since they didn't have an existing relationship. I got what I wanted, but it took a while do to backlogs. I certainly would suggest ordering from some of the stocking dealers listed here and have them transferred to your FFL.

Kermit is certainly a pleasant guy to deal with on the phone.

You often see them on Gunbroker too...
slanted
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:00:21 PM
[Last Edit: 1/28/2012 3:07:07 PM by slanted]
BTW, if considering used keep in mind that Robinson has improved the XCR-L a little bit every year. Almost all of the upgrades are available to apply to the older rifles. Also, NEW old stock might be missing some of the latest changes.

Rough dates:

New tool less gas system came out mid 2007. Nothing wrong with the other system.
2008 the began using loc-tite on the ejector. Easy fix on older rifles
2008 the began easing the bolt edges where the firing pin hole is.
2009 new lower with integral winter style trigger guard.
New trigger came out in 2009, this you want. easy upgrade. Note some of the first winter style lowers had the old trigger.
2010 New style safety (shorter, wider) Ambi standard
2010 redesign on the bolt release where it catches the bolt.
New rifles ship with new stock 2012 and ambi mag release 2012... again, easy upgrades... but you can see how if you wanted to upgrade a very old XCR to the latest you're looking at some coin.

RA does not over charge for parts IMHO. Most are close to their AR counterparts, some like the ambi mag release are cheaper.

RA seems to jump around a bit with serial numbers, so I don't know if these upgrades can be mapped to #s easily, best bet is to ask and look for clues to the date of the rifle.

[Edit for correct dates and detail]
Page:  / 12
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED