Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:07:14 AM EDT
I was at the range today and another shooter had one, he let me shoot it.  I was impressed, light and quick handling, 45deg safety, half the recoil of my DI AR and I run a VLTOR A5 buffer tube with H3 buffer.  I was surprised because most Pistons are over gassed, heavy and recoil more than DI's.  Anyone here have experience with them?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
its ok unless something goes wrong with it, no customer service
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
hard to find them. I liked the one I test shot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I shot a suppressed SBR XCR yesterday and I liked it more than I expected but like you mentioned, lack of customer support / limited parts availability keeps me from buying one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What kind of customer service problems did you have with your XCR?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get Customer Service like this:   ...if you post a bunch of whiny petty negative stuff here or anywhere, I guaranty very slow service.  I have made that a policy.  (quote from Robinson Arms' owner on Robinson Arms Forum)

I have two Robinson Arms rifles, an XCR and an M96.  But I can't recommend them anymore, not after reading that.  That is *not* a constructive way to deal with QC problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get Customer Service like this:   ...if you post a bunch of whiny petty negative stuff here or anywhere, I guaranty very slow service.  I have made that a policy.  (quote from Robinson Arms' owner on Robinson Arms Forum)

I have two Robinson Arms rifles, an XCR and an M96.  But I can't recommend them anymore, not after reading that.  That is *not* a constructive way to deal with QC problems.

Link requires a log in to view but that would be a great snippit to copy and paste here if able ......
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The referenced quote is from a pinned post in the "Robinson Armaments" section of the Robinson Arms forum, posted on Nov 17, 2010

Dear XCR Fans:

As usual I don't have much time to bother with these sites.  We've made a lot of much need changes at Robinson Armament Co.  Before I address the changes, let me put things in perspective.

Robinson Armament could have made lots of money making AR-15 knockoffs.  It would have been infinitely easier for us to have just made an upper receiver which would have fixed some but not all of the shortcomings of the AR-15.  Instead, we ventured to make a better battle rifle.  We began with the M96.  The M96 was a tough project.   It had a piston drive and a better bolt and ejector.  However, it still retained many flaws that were inherent in Stoner's design.   Many didn't buy the M96s because they were "too expensive" or "had ugly welds".   Nevertheless, the M96 was a step in the right direction.

The XCR was designed almost totally from scratch.  We make or have made almost every part, pin, and spring.  The goals of the XCR were very ambitious.  Especially, the modularity and multi-caliber aspects.  I pose this question:  How many other firms have really designed anything really new from scratch?  FN, Remington, Bushmaster, Colt?  The answer is none of them.  (I must admit that at least FN has made the P90 and that 2000 Bullpup).

The fact is that almost every "new" rifle out there is based on someone else's work.   The XCR is not.  It is truly unique.   Yes, it borrows some concepts from other rifles, but each part had to be designed without copying anything else to get the result we wanted.   In short, Robinson Armament dared to challenge the establishment with a very different rifle.  

Robinson Armament's efforts should have been embraced.  However, from the beginning, we have nothing but crap on the internet.  I distinctly remember posts on AR-15.com shortly after I announced the XCR.  The post were that it was "Vaporware".  Other posts exclaimed that it would never be built or never work as promised.  Such posts made it very difficult to get the XCR off the ground and made people very skeptical of the new XCR.  

Other posts exclaimed that we were going out of business.  It seem that the whole rifle world was against us.  I have often wondered why so much negativity for a new weapon platforms?  It is as though people really don't want any new platforms.   Thee people claim to want the best but all they do is whine.  It is no wonder to me that others don't venture out with new designs - they are shot down before they begin.

It has been just over 5 years since the first XCR shipped.   The XCR was not perfect and our processes and procedures for making it have not been perfect either.   When we began the XCR, we had no manufacturing experience.  Not only did we come up with a new and different rifle design, we had to learn to manufacture it.  

I will say that learning to make the XCR has been equally or more demanding that designing it in the first place.  It has taken over 5 years to get the XCR where it is.   The XCR now shoots 4 calibers (we are just finishing testing 5.45x39mm).  I shoots them all well.  It has the best ergonomics on the planet, and the most modularity.  It is also super reliable and durable.

With this background let me explain the much needed changes.

We spent much of this year retooling our shop to make XCR parts better and faster.  Concurrently, we completely revamped our quality control, not only during making parts but during assembly and final testing.  Every rifle that leaves our facility now is much more thoroughly tested.  There should be few if any returns needed from this point forward.

In addition to making the rifle better, we have also gone through our complete staff and made the changes necessary to improve customer service which was sorely lacking.   We have a completely new staff for sales and service who are eager to help.  Turn around on any service problem will be very fast.  To get fast service, read on.

I'd like to post just a few more comments regarding service.  Some of you will not like these comments:

First, when you call for service, be polite.  If you are not polite to my staff, I guaranty you will have a pleasant experience.  Remember the old saying, "You can attract more files with honey that with vinegar."  If you call with an attitude, my staff has been instructed to put you on the back burner.  If you are nice and polite, you will get quicker service.

Second, please read the manual carefully.  I know it's boring but there's important information there.  Many people do not understand that you need to set the gas correctly for function and durability.  It's really quite simple - put it on the setting that throws the brass 8 to 15 feet from the rifle for any given ammo.  Do not just leave the gas system on the highest setting,  If you do, for some ammo it will kick like hell, throw your brass 40 feet, give you trigger slap, and damage your recoil buffer (a cheap part).

Third, please send us the following information:

Name, Address, Email and Cell number;
Serial Number;
Signed Copy of your warranty Registration found in the last pages of the Operator's Manual; and
A complete description of the problem, BE BRIEF.  If you write and essay about your vast knowledge of firearms base on your long time relationship with your AR-15, we won't read it.

We will authorize the return to us of part or all of your firearm.  WE DO NOT PAY FOR SHIPPING TO US.

Fourth, if you post a bunch of whiny petty negative stuff here or anywhere, I guaranty very slow service.  I have made that a policy.  Yes, we've made lots of mistakes with service but that is behind us.
Now for some parting comments.  I am very happy with the current state of the XCR.   It continues to gain in popularity.  A great part of our sales are to Military and Law Enforcement professionals.  Though we've got the XCR to the point where is nearly perfect, we are not stopping.  We will continue to perfect the platform and add accessories.  Work continues on the XCR .308.  It will be finished when it is perfect and we hope that will be soon.

We appreciate those who stand by and support us.  They are true patriots.  We have to question the motives of those who continue to tear us down on this forum.  They cannot stop us. Their petty feeble minds are easily exposed.  The XCR will gain momentum until it covers the whole earth.  There is no other platform like it and it is the best.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
General Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

P.S. Don't expect me to read and respond to this post.  It is for your information only.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked my 1st one enough that when a local, used one, came up for sale, I bought it also.  I have the 1st one in 7.62x39 and the 2nd in 5.56mm (and the parts to convert the 1st one back to 5.56mm if I want).  Very reliable, provided you have the gas set right (just as you would need to have the gas set right on a FAL).  Easily adjustable gas system.  You can change the calibers yourself with only an allen wrench needed.  I may get a 6.8 SPC caliber kit for mine.  I did break the charging handle (MY FAULT) on one, and it took about 2 months to get the replacement parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one but I sold it after the firing pin broke. Didnt trust it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I liked mine but the Customer Service...is bad...very bad!!  I sold it for a few reasons...CS was one and how long it took to get the new stock out the other...it was years from what was promised to what has been delivered!  But as for CS,  emails go unanswered, phone calls, etc!  Terra was a bright hope for the CS department there but she left the company.   It is a nice flat firing platform with little recoil (when the gas is set right).  But I had issues with quality or more so design.  Screws would rattle lose.  Easy to fix with some loctite but bad design in some areas and excellent in others.  Barrel Nut would come loose, deflector as well.  I did love the bolt, ergos, and it is built like a tank.  It didnt "chew thru" Wolf as Alex told me first hand...even after break in with brass, a little disappointed with that!  It also wasnt as accurate as I was hoping.  It is "Combat Accurate" which for many is fine.  The rifle also doesnt open up too far so it makes getting in and cleaning a little tough...not a major issue but annoying.  The Trigger has been improved and is far better...the original had a nasty trigger slap to the finger when it resets after a pull!  Overall the platform has been improved but it still needs some minor refinements and it will be excellent not to mention the CS.  Alex is on the verge if he can just manage himself and company better.  Improves are very slow there.  He is a nice guy but was better selling then servicing.  The new stock looks great and the versatility of this rifle is impressive however I think more of a novelty.  Barrel Changing is nice but I would rather have another rifle that was made for the caliber it shoots.  Just my 2cents but I am now entertaining another one since the new stock has shown up on the site!  It looks good!
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
loved mine but came a cross an awesome trade that I couldnt pass up.  I will more than likely get another one down the road.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Ironically, Alex Robinson himself is the one thing most standing in the way of the XCR's success.  If he was a better businessman than he is, he would sell or license the XCR to a company that is actually in a position to capitalize on it.

I've shot and like the XCR, but I'd never buy one.  Too many unknowns, like what happens to the company if, for example, Alex Robinson gets hit by a bus tomorrow? (a silly example with a serious point.). He strikes me as someone who keeps tight control on things at Robinson Arms.  Owning an orphan rifle sucks.  There's also Alex's famously poor customer service...a big no-no in today's "reputation economy".
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I liked mine but the Customer Service...is bad...very bad!!  I sold it for a few reasons...CS was one and how long it took to get the new stock out the other...it was years from what was promised to what has been delivered!  But as for CS,  emails go unanswered, phone calls, etc!  Terra was a bright hope for the CS department there but she left the company.   It is a nice flat firing platform with little recoil (when the gas is set right).  But I had issues with quality or more so design.  Screws would rattle lose.  Easy to fix with some loctite but bad design in some areas and excellent in others.  Barrel Nut would come loose, deflector as well.  I did love the bolt, ergos, and it is built like a tank.  It didnt "chew thru" Wolf as Alex told me first hand...even after break in with brass, a little disappointed with that!  It also wasnt as accurate as I was hoping.  It is "Combat Accurate" which for many is fine.  The rifle also doesnt open up too far so it makes getting in and cleaning a little tough...not a major issue but annoying.  The Trigger has been improved and is far better...the original had a nasty trigger slap to the finger when it resets after a pull!  Overall the platform has been improved but it still needs some minor refinements and it will be excellent not to mention the CS.  Alex is on the verge if he can just manage himself and company better.  Improves are very slow there.  He is a nice guy but was better selling then servicing.  The new stock looks great and the versatility of this rifle is impressive however I think more of a novelty.  Barrel Changing is nice but I would rather have another rifle that was made for the caliber it shoots.  Just my 2cents but I am now entertaining another one since the new stock has shown up on the site!  It looks good!

That's really odd.. I'm not calling BS but I got an early one and have had none of the problems you have.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really odd.. I'm not calling BS but I got an early one and have had none of the problems you have.

Go over to xcrforums.com...it has been sometime since I had one (XCR) but some...who shoot a lot have had all the issues I have had some with more...but certainly not all.  Trying to get help from Rob Arms was a joke!  The barrel nut drove me ape!  There are several with this issue...but it is easy to fix...loctite!  But it is a bad design...he chose a bad fastener for that application.  My XCR did not have the trigger issue...for I bought when the new "enhanced" trigger came out so I never had the "slap" issue.  Other had issues with the damn thing popping open while shooting it...you can youtube that!  The accuracy...side by side to any rack AR was inferior...not terrible but not as good.  It isnt a bad platform it just to me is unfinished platform lead by a man that has zero emphasis on customer service.  He is slow to improve and his past history with such rifles as the M96 where completely abandon...I learned this after I had the XCR.  I dumped my rifle for the worry of where the company was going...frustration of the wait for the promised stock, which took 3 plus years...2 longer than I was told by alex!  And all the little things that just werent refined enough.  It was (before the new stock) a Frankenstein rifle!  If an AK and an AR got busy this is the result!  Now with the new stock it is looking pretty nice.   I loved the ergonomics...he did a great job with every aspect of that...I also love that bolt design...it is a TANK!   But I am still soo reluctant because considering the small amount of XCR actually on the market there are a lot of gremlins still in the design...ultimately that was the biggest reason I left!  There were barrel issues...resolved, trigger issues..resolved, out of spec gas port, ejector plate, random bolts loosening...there are too many little things that hold this platform back!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSU_d1DNVFw[/youtube]  

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I too have one of the very 1st XCR's to hit the market back in 2006. It had a lot of problems but Terra was incredible about making all the problems right. My bolt was out of spec and was causing FTF and jammed up the gun tighter then a virgin on her wedding night. Terra got me all fixed up and did a bunch of upgrades for free. Her customer service is truly top notch and my XCR is 100% now. With that said I would be very worried if I had to send in my gun right now with a problem. I love my XCR but I keep thinking about trading it in for a high end AR like an LMT or something. I fear I may not be able to keep it running in the future. On the flip side in the future I don't want to regret selling it....what do you guys think I should do? What is the going price for a excellent condition XCR on the used market these days?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have several XCR's, including an SBR.  I've had a few problems.  I've either taken care of it myself, or the one thing I had to send a bolt back for they fixed and returned in good order.  Mine all run great now, I shoot mainly 5.56 and some 7.62x39.  Pretty much exclusively Wolf beacuse it's relatively cheap.

I like the rifle, parts ARE available, maybe not always the same week but it's not that hard to stock up.  CS varies.  As has the quality of manufacture.  Some folks run great out of the box, others have multiple problems.  Sometimes self-induced, other times not.

If you don't mind the possibility of having to tweak it to get it reliable then I'd say you might enjoy it.  Otherwise it might not be for you.

If you do decide to get one try and make sure it is recent manufacture, with the newer trigger and gas system.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone here have experience with them?

A little.

In the summer of 06 I ran  Sn.112 pretty hard for several hundred rounds of mixed bag 5.56 and 2.23 ammo and  various magazines. I have also recently done the same with Sn.42xx which was built sometime in 08 I believe.

Both ran 100% and had virtually no muzzle jump, some disturbance but no jump. Ejection was positive and forward at 2 O'clock with cases landing between 5 and 15 feet away depending on the ammo.  

Ergonomics were the best I have experienced to date, conveniently located and easily operated by the firing hand without breaking the grip.

Fit and finish were excellent with the edge going to Sn.112. as Sn.42xx had a few minor tool marks visible in internal recesses of the lower.
Play between the upper and lower was barley perceptible with almost some up down and no side to side or rocking.

The folding stock and hinge are stoutly built with no play observed. The left side non reciprocating charging handle is pushed in to engage the bolt carrier for forward assist purposes.

Sn. 112 had none of the updates. Sn. 42xx shipped with the improved firing pin, gas piston and gas adjustment knob. The triggers ( old style) were two stage with a light smooth pull and a clean break at what I would guess as around four pounds.

Engineering and fabrication were generally excellent IMHO also with no visible tool marks on the internal parts.
Weight was 7.5 pounds and the only polymer parts were the charging handle knob and ejection port buffer.

What I did not like;
The folding stock does not latch in the folded position.
The monolithic upper has rails at 12,3,6 and 9 O'clock, I prefer a hand guard and top rail only.

I am told Kermit Zahn of Wild Thang Farms is the go to guy, dealer and source for parts and all things XCR.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I too have one of the very 1st XCR's to hit the market back in 2006. It had a lot of problems but Terra was incredible about making all the problems right. My bolt was out of spec and was causing FTF and jammed up the gun tighter then a virgin on her wedding night. Terra got me all fixed up and did a bunch of upgrades for free. Her customer service is truly top notch and my XCR is 100% now. With that said I would be very worried if I had to send in my gun right now with a problem. I love my XCR but I keep thinking about trading it in for a high end AR like an LMT or something. I fear I may not be able to keep it running in the future. On the flip side in the future I don't want to regret selling it....what do you guys think I should do? What is the going price for a excellent condition XCR on the used market these days?

Your XCR is built tough. Overbuilt IMO.

Take a good look at the parts, see anything fragile or likely to wear out in a lifetime or two ?
I don't think there are any.

What parts can be lost when field stripping it ?
The gas knob is the only part that I can chink of.

If you wanted to you could buy some spare springs and whatnot from Kermit Zahn and save them for just in case you or maybe your grand kids need them.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
i have owned 3 m-96's and 2 xcr's.
i no longer own them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#20]
It is a great rifle whose genius is greatly misunderstood by many. I get it and that is why I have 3.

The genius of the XCR is that it combines the best of old ideas from the AR, FAL, and AK along with unprecedented ease of user serviceability. You can literally take the entire rifle apart with nothing more than a pin punch, a few allen keys, and crescent wrench. All of these can be found in a Walmart and they all fit in pouch or pocket. Compare that with the tools needed for just about any other rifle. Now is a better time than ever to get the XCR as the new stock is finally available. Other things, like 1/7 twist barrels and the 2-stage trigger have been out for a while. Request the 1/7 barrel when you order as you still get the 1/9 by default as far as I know.

As far as the CS thing goes, yes, there definetely have been issues. Ask Sean K about that if you are curious as he is the best example. However he still is on board with the platform in spite of the shit he went through. The XCR is that good.

FWIW, I had to use the CS for my first XCR. This was in '06 in the pre-XCRmonger/Terra era. The service was great. I had an issue with the bolt. They, unlike many companies had me send in just the bolt and not the whole damn rifle. Communication was excellent and I got my bolt back promptly. Currently, communication is their biggest issue with sales not communicating enough and Alex occasionally communicating too much. Some people run around this by purchasing parts from Kermit (Wild Thang Farms in ID). He is a great guy to deal with.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
IN before Robinson finds this thread and locks it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IN before Robinson finds this thread and locks it.

Unfortunately, part of RA locking down anything they didin't like when they had an industry sub forum here was that a bunch of small cocked assholes were giving Terra a hard time because they were too stupid to properly troll Alex. These days it is hard to find some one on ARFcom who is aware of Terra and does not like her.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I will report on the XCR Saturday night as I'm getting one tomorrow and will be using it in a 3 gun match on saturday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will report on the XCR Saturday night as I'm getting one tomorrow and will be using it in a 3 gun match on saturday.

You need to break it in before your match!!  RA states 500 rounds of brass on highest gas to get it worked in.  This is well known.  Just a heads up.  For I have seen other in carbine course with fresh out of the box rifles that had issues...and among them were XCR!...I was one way back in the day...had to borrow a Olympic Arms AR to finish...you read that right!

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I've thought of getting one and I wonder if being local will help if I have an issue as far as service goes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i no longer own them.

I had a M96, I bought it when he came out with it, and all the bullshit promises of extras like the Stoner 63 he attempted to copy, different barrels, belt feed, etc.  Nothing ever came of it, and when it developed a problem with its bolt, I called to get parts, and was informed I would have to look elsewhere, as he didnt make that rifle any more and didnt support it. I found a new bolt online, got it running and sold it, never will buy another Robinson rifle again, from his past on how he handled that with me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked up my XCR this afternoon from Robinson arms.  I met with Alex and his staff and found them to be very pleasant and helpful.   The gun is an XCR-L  with a 16 inch light weight barrel and there new collapsible folding stock.  I must say that after handling it and then handling my AR-15's, it seems to be a very robust and sturdy platform.  Kinda makes my AR's  feel like toys.  I will take it out tomorrow and get it sighted in.  I'm going to put an Eotech with a 3X magnifier on it for the 3 gun. I am going to reload some ammo for it and be ready to roll with it at the 3 gun on Saturday.  There are going to be 3 of us using the same gun so it should see a minimum of 360 rounds.  I'll report again on it after tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
New stock? You have one?

PICTURES PLEASE............
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i no longer own them.

I had a M96, I bought it when he came out with it, and all the bullshit promises of extras like the Stoner 63 he attempted to copy, different barrels, belt feed, etc.  Nothing ever came of it, and when it developed a problem with its bolt, I called to get parts, and was informed I would have to look elsewhere, as he didnt make that rifle any more and didnt support it. I found a new bolt online, got it running and sold it, never will buy another Robinson rifle again, from his past on how he handled that with me.

I think you got a bum steer from someone new there who didn't know any better and that's a bummer.

R.A. has M96 parts but will not enough to sell spare parts. They will sell replacements If you send the rifle or the broken part in.
They did make the Recon, BREN and heavy barrel kits as well as a few stainless heavy match barrels and a few regular barrels in 6x45.
They also made a couple different top rails with BUIS, a rail kit for the for for end and a few folding stocks after the ban sunset.

Like I said man, Bummer.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
New stock? You have one?

Link to factory pics here
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of in an AR, or most other types of rifles, so di you get rid of those, too?

I'm not a diehard fan, and Robarms can defend themselves or not, but my brother has an XCR-L. and it's a fine piece of machinery. No problems and the only thing I don't like is the caliber. I'll wait to see what the XCR-M offers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This sort of thing isn't exactly unheard of in an AR, or most other types of rifles, so di you get rid of those, too?

Not the poster you were replying to, but the firing pin breaking in an XCR is a bit more serious an event than it is with an AR.  With the AR, you just buy a new one from any of ten thousand vendors.  With the XCR there is one vendor for that part, so you're left hoping  (a) Robarm is still around (b) they're willing to sell you the part, (c) they'll get it to you an a timely manner.

With any small company (a) is a real risk, and the owner of Robinson Armaments has a history regarding (b) and (c) that is not encouraging.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say I heard about it, I said it happened to me. If any of the other hundreds of military rifles I've owned over the last 20+ had a similar event occur inside 500 rounds I'd probably reevaluate trusting them as well; which I have done many times over the years. This was also not the sole reason for my decision, more the tipping point. Keep in mind with the XCR if the firing pin breaks it's not like an AR; you have to drift a pin out of the bolt with a punch/hammer like an AK. Best bet is to carry a spare bolt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I got the first 100 rounds through my XCR today.  Only had one round fail to feed and that was due to a poor reloading job on my part.  Gun seems to shoot very well.  I was holding 3/4" groups at 50 yards with the ammo that I reloaded.  Which by the way, is some really cheap stuff.  remington slugs and wolf primers.  The optic of choice is an EOTECH with a 3x magnifier.  Can't wait till tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
New stock? You have one?

Link to factory pics here

Thanks, but i've seen those, was hoping to see it in the wild!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was at the range today and another shooter had one, he let me shoot it.  I was impressed, light and quick handling, 45deg safety, half the recoil of my DI AR and I run a VLTOR A5 buffer tube with H3 buffer.  I was surprised because most Pistons are over gassed, heavy and recoil more than DI's.  Anyone here have experience with them?

I had one, I just couldn't get pass the butt-stock, 1/9 barrels and all the internet promises of the coming "fix" for the rifle, so I sold it for the LWRC but if I had to do it over again I think I would try out Bushmaster's  ACR, at lease one could use good AR-15 barrels in it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one, I just couldn't get pass the butt-stock, 1/9 barrels and all the internet promises of the coming "fix" for the rifle, so I sold it for the LWRC but if I had to do it over again I think I would try out Bushmaster's  ACR, at lease one could use good AR-15 barrels in it.

1/7 XCR barrels have been out for over a year. The new stock has been at least demo'd but I have yet to see one in the hands of an owner. What is this fix you speak of? With the stock as the last piece, everything that needed upgrading has arrived.

Keep in mind it is going to take a good deal of work to stick an AR15 barrel into a ACR. People have done it but it is not as simple as just buying one and turning a nut.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/7 XCR barrels have been out for over a year. The new stock has been at least demo'd but I have yet to see one in the hands of an owner. What is this fix you speak of? With the stock as the last piece, everything that needed upgrading has arrived.

Keep in mind it is going to take a good deal of work to stick an AR15 barrel into a ACR. People have done it but it is not as simple as just buying one and turning a nut.

The butt-stock and the barrel is the "fix" that I speak of, how long has the xcr been out now and we are just now getting the butt-stock? How long has the 1/7 barrel been on the market? one year?
At lease the barrel can be replaced on the ACR with something I would want.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
After reading that whiny "the world is against us" bitch fest of a tirade written by Alex Robinson, I'd rather defend myself with a slingshot.  It's a neat concept, but it'll never gain mainstream traction when the company is run by a guy with an attitude like that.  Promising slow service if you have an attitude? Seriously?  He can shove that rifle, shitty attitude and customer service policy right up his ass.

I own a business now, but worked for years as a senior technician for Gateway computers.  As a general rule of thumb, people are annoyed when they have to take time out of their day to resolve an issue that's caused by poor quality control, manufacturing defects, etc. They don't call for service when the product is performing like it's supposed to and they're having a wonderful day.   They call when shit isn't working, and they usually have something else they would rather be doing.  Thats just human nature...if you can't deal with that, then maybe you shouldn't be selling stuff to humans.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#40]
7 barrel lengths, 5 calibers, rilfe,carbine,SBR,PDW and pistol versions, in production since 2006 and parts are available from the factory and Kernit Zahn.

Methinks a chart is is overdue.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
7 barrel lengths, 5 calibers, rilfe,carbine,SBR,PDW and pistol versions, in production since 2006 and parts are available from the factory and Kernit Zahn.

Methinks a chart is is overdue.

it doesn't take away from his shitty attitude,customer service,and the fact he left us m96 owners out to dry.
fuck him,and fuck his guns.money can be better spent else ware.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I found this. Its a little dated but still relevant.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#43]
At least for the SCAR, that chart is incorrect on a number of points.  For example, the SCARs charging handle can be used as a forward assist, if you want.  Also, many spare parts are available from multiple vendors. Also if you rail mount the BUIS, you can use a standard AR-type BUIS if you prefer.  There' s a couple other errors too, fwiw.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I found this. Its a little dated but still relevant.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g377/VariableB/firearmspics/xcrscaracr.jpg?1287028283

Yes, its a little dated, where it states: XCR, Readily Avalable Spare Parts, Yes
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
At least for the SCAR, that chart is incorrect on a number of points.  For example, the SCARs charging handle can be used as a forward assist, if you want.  Also, many spare parts are available from multiple vendors. Also if you rail mount the BUIS, you can use a standard AR-type BUIS if you prefer.  There' s a couple other errors too, fwiw.

I was just going to point out those, and bring into the fact about how long has the SCAR been out, how many rounds have been expended in testing?  How many has the military bought of those vs the XCR, hell even the ACR?  FN is trying to get complete rifles out for both the civilian and military markets, in addtition to spare parts out.  They contracted with secondary vendors, whos parts didnt pass muster, so they in reality, have been the only producer, for a platform that is out selling bot the XCR and ACR combined.  As far as the SCAR on barrel length and weights, it was designed for a miltary contract, so was the ACR, they say the XCR was also but I cant imagine why, when Robinson couldnt begin to deliver quanities the military would need.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i no longer own them.

I think you got a bum steer from someone new there who didn't know any better and that's a bummer.

R.A. has M96 parts but will not enough to sell spare parts. They will sell replacements If you send the rifle or the broken part in.
They did make the Recon, BREN and heavy barrel kits as well as a few stainless heavy match barrels and a few regular barrels in 6x45.
They also made a couple different top rails with BUIS, a rail kit for the for for end and a few folding stocks after the ban sunset.

Like I said man, Bummer.

First off why cant I have spare parts?  Why should I have to send a rifle in??  Why should I deal with there worse than HK attitude???  The also promised a belt fed, which was their selling point, as close to a Stoner as you can get, yet no belt fed option, didnt care about the Bren, and I tried for a recon barrel, always got put off, were not ready yet, or not ready to ship, or those wont be available for another 4 months.  The guy is a ass hat, doesnt give a shit once his product is out of his warehouse.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just going to point out those, and bring into the fact about how long has the SCAR been out, how many rounds have been expended in testing?  How many has the military bought of those vs the XCR, hell even the ACR?  FN is trying to get complete rifles out for both the civilian and military markets, in addtition to spare parts out.  They contracted with secondary vendors, whos parts didnt pass muster, so they in reality, have been the only producer, for a platform that is out selling bot the XCR and ACR combined.  As far as the SCAR on barrel length and weights, it was designed for a miltary contract, so was the ACR, they say the XCR was also but I cant imagine why, when Robinson couldnt begin to deliver quanities the military would need.

Sound like someone is covering there ass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i no longer own them.

Like I said man, Bummer.

That's funny, as I had almost exactly the same problems with my M96s. Including a top-feed kit on order for YEARS before I sold it. And all sorts of other bizarre running changes, parts failures, etc...
I've also had 3 XCRs, the first of which had bolts come loose on the ejector, and chewed up the BHO, as so many others had, and the last of which was in 6.8, and was a pretty decent rifle.

Not enough to deal with the stupidity that was RA.

I never could understand why RA just couldn't used rivets to secure the ejector and use pins on the gas block?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It is also somewhat incorrect for the XCR too as it does not list the three different length uppers available, the PDW etc.

It is a bit dated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top