Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2010 6:20:06 PM EDT
Found this set of videos on Youtube by Beretta Military on the ARX 160. It made it's first appearance at SHOT Show last this year any chance that at SHOT 2011 we'll hear about it's planned release for US Commercial Sale?

http://www.youtube.com/user/berettamilitary#p/u/7/5iy6DTaxqOY

I think this rifle may give us a very nice alternative to the ACR and SCAR.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
From a business standpoint, doesnt make much sense;

Steyr stopped the AUG
HK ceased import of their plastic wonders
Bushmaster is "consolidating"
FS2000s are being sold for close to closeout prices...

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Steyr stopped the AUG  MSAR cornered the market
HK ceased import of their plastic wonders  These rifles were expensive & it was expensive to modify them for hi-cap mags
Bushmaster is "consolidating"  $2500 Basic ACR on initial release, nuf said.
FS2000s are being sold for close to closeout prices...   Not the bullpup most want IMHO

Maybe Beretta would reasonably prices their rifles around the $1500 mark and hit a home run.  Volume sales anyone?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]

It would fill a class for Beretta that they don't currently fill in the U.S. market right now though. They're basically giving the field to other companies when they've got a pretty nice product that might overtake other options. They've got the U.S. presence for compliance parts. If they had to the polymer molds here that's expensive, but come on...I want one.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Doubt it, but it would be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
why not...they released the RX4
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well all ave enough guns.

At some point in the past, it would have been a wise idea to make things simple. That point is so far gone.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not even the same class; The RX4 is the same class as a Mini14. More "PC" friendly .223 rifle.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK ceased import of their plastic wonders  These rifles were expensive & it was expensive to modify them for hi-cap mags
FS2000s are being sold for close to closeout prices...   Not the bullpup most want IMHO

Maybe Beretta would reasonably prices their rifles around the $1500 mark and hit a home run.  Volume sales anyone?

True on most; But SCARs have/had no problem selling for more......

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True on most; But SCARs have/had no problem selling for more......

SCAR has the hype and purchasing behind it to grant it legitimacy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I probably wouldn't buy one... at least not for some time.  I've been trying to consolidate and spend the money on ammo, match fees, etc.

However, I really hope they release it comercially.  The more, the merrier.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Because no-one posted pics

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Would be an improvement over those silly benelli rifles I have a feeling no one will buy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Old article, but...............................................the last sentence offers hope!

Mexico joins Albania and Italy as customer for new Beretta rifle
September 10th, 2009 | DSEI 2009 | Posted by Tom Kington

Mexican army and police units are receiving deliveries of Beretta’s ARX160 automatic rifle and attachable grenade launcher after the Central American country signed this year to become the third customer for the new rifle, a spokesman said.

“Mexico will have received a few thousand ARX160 rifles by year end and will receive more next year,” the spokesman said at the DSEi 2009 show in London, without specifying the exact quantity ordered. The 5.56x45mm calibre, 3kg ARX160 was ordered by Albania in December 2008. One hundred rifles and 40 matching GLX160 grenade launchers have now been delivered to Albanian Special Forces.

“Albania will be using this rifle in Afghanistan,” said the spokesman, who added that a follow up order could be made by the Balkan nation.

The rifle was formally approved by the Italian Army in March, with a first order of 1,600 rifles set to be made by Italy by year end. Italy has already acquired the GLX160 grenade launcher. Company officials have said the rifle costs around 1,200 to 1,500 euros depending on accessories. Australia and Far East markets are now considered possible customers by the firm, which is offering possibilities for local production as an incentive.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]

That looks like one beefy fugly rifle. But like the poster above says the more the merrier.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
It's DOA if CZ gets theirs to market first

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Old article, but...............................................the last sentence offers hope!

are you talking about the price?
I bet 1500euro is the price for Mil/Govt customers not civilians

btw, for those who like pics..
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.czub.cz/upload/cz-big/CZ_805_BREN_A1.png

I think the CZ would do better than the AXR-160. However, CZ has already said that they don't currently have any plans to release it in the US.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you talking about the price?
I bet 1500euro is the price for Mil/Govt customers not civilians

btw, for those who like pics..

Nope, that's the next to the last sentence.  Last sentence, and what I was referring to was the "possiblities for local production" thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the CZ would do better than the AXR-160. However, CZ has already said that they don't currently have any plans to release it in the US.

Too bad....that CZ is the hotness.

Sean
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Steyr stopped the AUG MSAR controls the market and Steyr had to subcontract receiver manufacturing. Steyr could not compete against MSAR's prices.

HK ceased import of their plastic wonders The SL8 was a import legal model. No "assault weapons" can be imported. The G36 line never came into the USA as a G36 because of our laws. The SL8 didn't sell well and the rest of the world buys their G36. Thank our import laws, not H&K.

Bushmaster is "consolidating" They have the ACR and their AR-15 line.

FS2000s are being sold for close to closeout prices... The market is flooded with their products along with everyone elses. Prices were high for awhile because of high demand but low supply. Now the supply has caught up and the economy sucks. Folks don't have money and don't want to be spending money on guns. Companies are sitting on stock and are trying the clear it out.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It is here.... the Benelli MR1

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Found this set of videos on Youtube by Beretta Military on the ARX 160. It made it's first appearance at SHOT Show last this year any chance that at SHOT 2011 we'll hear about it's planned release for US Commercial Sale?
http://www.youtube.com/user/berettamilitary#p/u/7/5iy6DTaxqOY

I think this rifle may give us a very nice alternative to the ACR and SCAR.

Beretta would have to build them in the USA or do what FN does. They import the civilian market SCAR as a single shot rifle. There is a plastic peg in the mag well that prevents magazines from being inserted into the mag well. Once it get's state side. They add the required US parts and dremel off the plastic peg.

The SCAR is not made in America; they're made in Belgium.

Beretta did in the past bring in their BM-59 and their AR-70 to the US market back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. But our import laws changed all that. Same thing that fucked over H&K with the G3/HK91 importation.

Beretta does have a US plant but they only build their Beretta 92/96 line there and also they do some repair work on other models. I'm not 100% sure if the new PX4 Storm line is made there. I believe those are Italian production guns. I do know that the CX4 Storm carbine is made in Italy and that you have to get US made parts to mod it per 922(r).

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Mold enough parts in Italy to last a little while.

Ship molds to USA.

Mold a huge pile of parts.  Molds are expensive, plastic is (relatively) cheap.

Ship molds back to Italy.

I haven't added up the parts count, but if all the plastic was US made along with the barrel and muzzle device, probably everything else could be imported.  HK should have done the same with the G36/XM8.

I do wish they would fix the rear sling swivel and redesign the bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#24]
That's too bad.........think of all the money they lose...........they already import VZ-58 rifles, this shouldnt be much harder

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Mold enough parts in Italy to last a little while.

Ship molds to USA.

Mold a huge pile of parts. Molds are expensive, plastic is (relatively) cheap.

Ship molds back to Italy.

I haven't added up the parts count, but if all the plastic was US made along with the barrel and muzzle device, probably everything else could be imported. HK should have done the same with the G36/XM8.

I do wish they would fix the rear sling swivel and redesign the bolt hold open.

Excellent idea.

What's wrong with the bolt hold open?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should make plans. This economy can't stay in the toliet forever and sooner or later folks are going to be out buying black rifles again.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the bolt hold open?

Just not accessible for malfunction clearance, especially if you have the rifle set up with charging handle on the off side as experienced shooters likely would.

If you're holding the rifle at low ready the sling swivel at the rear of the receiver digs right into the side of the shooting hand thumb.

There are several little ergonomic & usability tweaks I would suggest to the design, were they to ask my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I still don't see where this gun is any better than an American made XCR....
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well for one thing it's completely ambidextrous to include easily switchable ejection direction and charging handle side.  And has a nice folding and adjustable/telescoping stock.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for one thing it's completely ambidextrous to include easily switchable ejection direction and charging handle side.  And has a nice folding and adjustable/telescoping stock.

What about spare parts and caliber converisons? I'm a lefty so the ability to change ejection and complete operation from the left side are important to me, but not as important as being unable to get parts like FN SCAR struggles with.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about spare parts and caliber converisons? I'm a lefty so the ability to change ejection and complete operation from the left side are important to me, but not as important as being unable to get parts like FN SCAR struggles with.

No offense, but this gun isn't even out on the American market.  Therefore, no caliber changes, spare parts or even complete rifles are currently available.  If it ever gets released, it would be a nice gun for a lefty b/c of the ejection port versatility, but I'd guess that spare parts will be factory only (like with most guns) and who knows on the caliber conversions.  We'll just have to wait and see if it ever comes to fruition.

HTH,
Sean
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://gunsite.co.za/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/benelli_mr1_1024x768.jpg

Fuck.  How do I un-see something?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://gunsite.co.za/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/benelli_mr1_1024x768.jpg

Fuck.  How do I un-see something?

"The goggles they do nothing"

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#34]

If they do announce commercial release for 2011 I'll have to rethink my ACR purchase in the new year.

I haven't really dug into the specs with this rifle yet though, because it's impossible to purchase right now.  I did see that Lancer's new mags though will fit the ARX-160. Lancer specifically stated that they will fit the ARX-160.  I don't know if that is foreshadowing anything, but I'd like to think it is.

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's too bad.........think of all the money they lose...........they already import VZ-58 rifles, this shouldnt be much harder

Quoted:
Quoted:

A different company actually brings VZ 58s up to 922r compliance. Czechpoint is the name, oddly CZ USA has stopped marketing the VZ 58, I never heard anything about CZ not being interested in bringing them to the US.

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know why  I want one so bad,the SCAR doesn't do it for me and I sold my converted SL8 because I never shot the thing but I find this some kind of hawtness in grey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top