7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:17:30 PM

Originally Posted By custom-concepts:
The assault rifle (folding stock version) was my first high powered rifle. You are correct about the magnet to hold the stock over to the reciever. It was rectangular and on a clip that snapped onto the stock. Marred the hell out of the receiver. God that brings back memories ... $12 / 100 rds of .223... Damn that was a while ago.

Thanks for posting the pics and write up. Brings back good memories of blasting away at the range during a summer Sunday, many years ago.....

cool, i guess the magnet was lost on the rifle i bought. they did put a piece of velcro on the wooden forearm to keep it from being banged up by the metal stock.
boywonder777
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/19/2007 10:21:40 PM
[Last Edit: 6/19/2007 10:25:07 PM by boywonder777]

Originally Posted By twl:
Hi,
I work with Mack.
What would you like to know?

Regarding the part about how the company went over to Quality Parts when they bought the Bushmaster name from Mack, I'm not so sure all that info that you got from some site on the internet is accurate.
I never heard about any bankruptcy, although I never have asked about that particular issue.
And, clearly Mack still owned the company which was named Gwinn Firearms, when it was located in Maine, so I don't think things happened exactly as that passage you quoted describes.

At any rate, this was Mack's first venture in the early '70s, and things weren't very neat and tidy in these early years of production. There were quality control issues, and the gun got a very mediocre reception because it was so unusual and sometimes had relibility problems.
But, ya gotta start somewhere, and this is where Mack started.
I think it's safe to say he learned a few things since then.

I've heard Mack saying more than once, that he'd like to update and improve that Armpistol concept and bring it back to market in a good working reliable form.

One thing that you can say about Mack, and that is that he never likes to run in the pack. He always makes things different and unusual than the normal run-of-the-mill products. He's a free-thinker.

it would be cool if we could get a timeline and variants that were produced.

i would also like to know why the bushmaster folder (produced later than the gwinn), had the inferior front takedown pin section.

what was the reason behind the change of the charging handle on top with removable dust cover to side charger with faxed dust cover? what about the change in rear sights?

also it would be great if he had a box of leftover parts... wishful thinking right?
twl
MGI Military:The Future of Small Arms Development
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2007 10:24:30 AM

Originally Posted By boywonder777:

i would also like to know why the bushmaster folder (produced later than the gwinn), had the inferior front takedown pin section.

what was the reason behind the change of the charging handle on top with removable dust cover to side charger with faxed dust cover? what about the change in rear sights?

also it would be great if he had a box of leftover parts... wishful thinking right?

I'll ask Mack about some of these things the next time I talk with him.

I don't know about the change in pins in the later Bushmaster version.
However, I'd like to point out that "Bushmaster" was Mack's name for the company, before it was sold to the later owners, so Mack originated that name along with the company.

I do know that after the company was sold, Mack retained some percentage of ownership, and when some changes and activities began that he didn't agree with, he sold off his shares and parted ways.

Regarding leftover parts, yes he has quite a supply.
They might get used on some guns in the future.
We talked last night about making a small limited-production run of Armpistols, using the remaining receivers that he has left over, which are all pre-86 and/or pre-ban, and even resurrecting the old "Gwinn Firearms" rollmarking for them, so that they are like classic collector pieces.
I don't know what may come of this idea, so don't hold your breath about it.
MGI Sales Representative for AR15.com, and the internet
Call 1-423-746-9019
or email twlyons@juno.com
CALL ME TO ORDER YOUR MGI PRODUCTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2007 10:32:42 AM
[Last Edit: 6/20/2007 10:34:04 AM by HardShell]

... You are correct about the magnet to hold the stock over to the reciever. It was rectangular and on a clip that snapped onto the stock...

cool, i guess the magnet was lost on the rifle i bought. they did put a piece of velcro on the wooden forearm to keep it from being banged up by the metal stock.

Mine has a snap (like you'd find on a cheap windbreaker) instead. I don't know if it was a production change or an owner before me replaced the magnet with the snap.

I picked mine up many moons ago and it came with both lower receivers -- a fixed and a folder. (FYI, for those unfamiliar, on these rifles it was the upper receiver that was the serialized/transferrable part, not the lower as on a standard AR.)

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
boywonder777
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/20/2007 11:01:44 PM

Originally Posted By HardShell:

... You are correct about the magnet to hold the stock over to the reciever. It was rectangular and on a clip that snapped onto the stock...

Mine has a snap (like you'd find on a cheap windbreaker) instead. I don't know if it was a production change or an owner before me replaced the magnet with the snap.

I picked mine up many moons ago and it came with both lower receivers -- a fixed and a folder. (FYI, for those unfamiliar, on these rifles it was the upper receiver that was the serialized/transferrable part, not the lower as on a standard AR.)

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/DSC01353.jpg

is the fixed stock wood? can you shoot a close up of the snap?

glad to see these coming out of the woodwork
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2007 10:54:03 AM
[Last Edit: 6/21/2007 11:15:29 AM by HardShell]

is the fixed stock wood? can you shoot a close up of the snap?

glad to see these coming out of the woodwork

Yep, the fixed stock is black-painted wood, as is the handguard.

I'll see if I have a hi-rez shiot where I can zoom in on the snap clearly ( ETA: Nope, just the cropped/reduced ones ) -- if not, I'll take a new close-up pic when I can think of it...
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
boywonder777
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2007 10:01:52 PM

Originally Posted By twl:

I'll ask Mack about some of these things the next time I talk with him.

I don't know about the change in pins in the later Bushmaster version.
However, I'd like to point out that "Bushmaster" was Mack's name for the company, before it was sold to the later owners, so Mack originated that name along with the company.

I do know that after the company was sold, Mack retained some percentage of ownership, and when some changes and activities began that he didn't agree with, he sold off his shares and parted ways.

Regarding leftover parts, yes he has quite a supply.
They might get used on some guns in the future.
We talked last night about making a small limited-production run of Armpistols, using the remaining receivers that he has left over, which are all pre-86 and/or pre-ban, and even resurrecting the old "Gwinn Firearms" rollmarking for them, so that they are like classic collector pieces.
I don't know what may come of this idea, so don't hold your breath about it.

Also with those partial serials I posted, can he let me know the years they were produced?

When did he start marking them with Bushmaster Firearms instead of Gwinn Firearms?

Was that a change that happened at a certain date or were they being produced with both names for a while?
Page:  / 2
Next Page