Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2002 10:14:30 AM EDT

I heard from an older gentleman. That they used to put a little "toothpaste" on the trigger parts of a new rifle or pistol to smooth it out or break it in quicker. It was left on long enough for a regular days shooting and then cleaned off during the regular after-shoot cleaning they did.

Anybody else hear of this practice?

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard anything like that.

But if the toothpaste had pumice or something like that in it, it might work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Most "old school" toothpastes like pepsodent or crest are slightly abrasive.  You can test it by putting some on your finger tip and rubbing on a clear plastic drinking cup.  It will put microscopic scratches in the plastic.  Gell toothpastes won't do it, but they will keep a scuba mask from fogging...

I bet the gentleman is correct.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Right you are.  Colgate was a good rubbing compound, used by guys that would build plastic model cars.  After painting, rub out with Colgate, and then wax for a trophy winning finish.

I apply a plastic polishing compound (Kit Scratch Out) to the sear surfaces, and cock and release the hammer about 20 times, apply more, repeat.  (When doing this, put a piece of leather or rubber in front of the hammer where it would strike the front of the receiver)  

Then I remove the hammer and trigger, clean thoroughly, and replace.  Lube it all up, and you now have a very smooth trigger.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to not alter any dimesions on the hammer or trigger, the idea is to polish not remove metal.
THe first time I did this I ruined my hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!

To lighten your trigger pull, bend the legs of the hammer spring at about a 30 to 60 degree angle. It will take some experimenting depending on how stiff your spring is.
Here I would have new spring on hand in case you ruin the original!

You also have to be careful not to reduce the hammer spring tension to far or you will get light primer strikes and missfires.
I did this on my rifle and have only had one missfire with XM193, but if I needed the rifle for a serious occasion and had  enough advance warning I would put in my stock spare spring.

Lee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top