Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 9:43:16 AM EDT
Isn't it supposed to be a coating for high wear areas? I had a BCG done and it peeled off as if I'd sprayed it with Krylon. The coater said it was due to a high stress area. This was after a couple hand cycles and no firing.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but it looks like that is a prep issue cause it appears to be flaking off.  Any better pic of the bcg?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It shouldn't do that.

Looks like it wasn't prepared/applied properly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That is not wear. The part was not prepped or coated correctly. If it were me I'd redo it free of charge. Cerakote is pretty tough but it will wear, for instance you will get holster wear and I suspect a bcg would be no different. However, it should not wear in chunks like that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree with what others have said. My competition 1911 that I did this year has a couple thousand holster draws from kydex holster and doesn't look near that bad!
  Also if nowmal wear it should look almost sanded off if that makes sense.  Yours looks flaked or picked off. Which would indicate poor adhesion from not being prepped correctly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Ceracoat isn't magic, and it's going to wear quickly in high contact force areas or rubbing against metal, but that carrier wasn't prepped properly.

My suggestion for moving parts like carriers is hard plating like NP3 or a surface conversion like nitride/melonite.  No spray-on coating will come anywhere close to the wear properties of either of those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top