Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 9:24:16 PM EDT
So i stared refinishing/painting guns with Duracoat many moons ago, and did a lot of guns professionally.  I stopped, due to a move a few year ago, and i started again, this time using Cerakote and Gunkote.  
My question is specific to Gunkote baking min. baking temp and time, to get a fully cured finish?  I was using their NanoSeries
The problem i had was with my personal Glock, i did a preheat @ 120° on both frame and slide.  Completed all coats, setup at 285° for 2 hours.   During reassembling, the front of the frame had minor warp/contour change that prevent the slide from going completely to the rear.  I dremeled a small lip on the frame, and manipulated with light preasure via vise, and now its good to go.

Cerakote says to bake with their H and Elite Series at 185° on poly frames.  My temp must be too high for the frame, anyone have more experience with KG Gunkote and poly frames?  I read they were made with Nylon 6, and hand handle higher temps, like 340°+

Obliviously Duracoat never had this issue, i always "baked" @ 120° for a few hours, then let sit for a week before reassembling.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Plastics need to be done at a lower temp for a longer period of time, sub 200 degrees for sure and that likely was the cause for your warped glock frame.  KG is no different that duracoat and cerakote in regards to heating poly and your results pretty much solidify the point, ploys need a lower temp. The question is how much longer is bake time is needed for the full cure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I had much the same experience, the Glock frame warped slightly, so I reheated and let cool with the slide on.  I just stuck with Duracoat on the polymers from then on.  I tried to get figures out of KG, and Glock but nobody wanted to commit to any hard figures.  You would just have to experiment with say 175 deg, for 2x, or 3x hours until you get a good cure.  As a starting point, if 350 deg is 1 hour, then 175 might be 2 hours, or maybe more.  I know some guys have done it, so unless they chime in, you're just gonna have to figure it out.  

Or stick to a non-bake coating.  Dura Coat or KG air cure.  Cerakote might have something as well?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
KG Has a low temp additive for polymer frame guns. Call or email and have them add it to your order. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top