Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 8:08:10 PM EDT
I'd like to update a very well used mid 70's wingmaster.  Most of the bluing is gone, and it's seen plenty of abuse over the years.  Due to significant shallow pitting on the receiver and barrel, I'm thinking my best bet is to media blast to bare metal?  Also, is there any product available that is similar to the gloss finish of bluing, but more of a grey color?  This gun was my dad's, and was well recognized in our hunting circle for it's worn "lack of bluing" grey look, and I'd like to somehow replicate that again if possible.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want that look, why not just mitigate the pitting, and keep it well oiled?

Use a copper scrubby pad and a good CLP
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a discoloration in the pitting that I cannot get out with a copper brush and cleaner.  I did get some assistance locally that helped me decide how I'm going to proceed with the restoration, I'll try to post some pictures of the process, should be another fun project.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Does Cerakote make a clear coat?  Just a thought, leave it about the way it is but address the rust/pitting best you can and shoot it with the clear gloss' seen some old cars done that way and they look pretty nice.  Might look rather interesting and retain some heritage.  The nice thing is you really don't have to oil the exterior much if any at all.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Going to strip to bare metal and cerakote a grey "battle worn" finish with clear over the top.   Dropping off the metal parts this weekend, hoping it's done when I return from vacation.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking of just sending mine off to Wilson Combat for them to redo an 870 I just bought for $100.  Even with $300 of their work it'd still be cheaper than buying a new one
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to buy any cheap 870 that I crossed paths with.  I think I was up to 9 or 10 at one point. Most were bought cheap and I'd throw synthetic stocks on them, duracoat, and either use them for duck hunting or range toys for a while then trade them off.  I'm down to 3 now, don't see myself adding but maybe 1 more; moving on to other shotguns these days.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Post some pictures after its done!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#8]
will do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My brother cleaned up an old Mauser for me by stripping the parts to bare metal, used Birchwood Casey or similar cold blue process, and when he was done the finish has a slight "not quite new" appearance to it.  If he had equipment to do hot bluing, it probably would've looked too new/ dark.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother cleaned up an old Mauser for me by stripping the parts to bare metal, used Birchwood Casey or similar cold blue process, and when he was done the finish has a slight "not quite new" appearance to it.  If he had equipment to do hot bluing, it probably would've looked too new/ dark.
View Quote
I did something similar with my first Mauser stripped it down to bare metal, browned the metal where it would have received the most wear, then cold blued everything else that would normally be blued. I paid close attention to the finish under the wood, it received the most attention. I heated the metal with a propane torch just before applying the cold bluing. I put numerous coats of oil on the metal. Along with cleaning the wood with 40/60 mix of linseed oil and turpentine on the wood and plenty of rubbing the results were pretty impressive. I am not claiming that the methods I used were the approved refinishing methods but for a Mauser that was essentially a rusted club it didn't turn out too bad.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My project has been delayed...blew the budget on some other too good to pass up deals.

Would love to see pics of your guys' cold bluing projects though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You can always try your hand at a slow rust blue. Laurel Mountain Forge has the easiest to use brow/rust blue

LMF Barrel Brown & Degreaser

Instructions

The cost is extremely minimal in the way of supplies, just a bit if time and effort.

If you stop after a couple of scaldings/cardings, you will end up with a worn look

But if you do 5-6 sets, you'll get this

1907 Slide before, during, and after

Stevens 630 barrel

An 1899 Takedown receiver

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top