Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2017 12:12:18 PM EDT
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post and yes I've searched for hours here and on the internet. Anyway... This likely isn't new news but I found that Krylon Ultra-Flat K04293000 Camouflage Made with Fusion for Plastic Technology Spray Paint, Olive, 11 Ounce, is almost a perfect match with Magpul OD Green. I had some Troy OD Green rail covers that are way lighter than Magpul's and bought three different spray paints  to see what was closest. One good coat of the Krylon and I almost can't tell the difference - just make sure it's the exact one above. Clearly, some folks don't like Krylon but I've never had an issue with it - I'll post a follow up as to how it works out down the road.

The next closest was the Rustoleum camo green but it's a little too grey (it was still fairly close). See pics below but know pics never match reality - it is super close. The magazine is more of a satin finish, the handguards are now flat - I suppose if you're pickier than me you could add a satin clear coat. Of course, none of my Magpul OD Green exactly matches (handguard, grip and mag) so this works great. I honestly don't think you'll get much closer than this for basic spray paint at about $6 and I'm pretty picky. I'll also note that I'm painting plastic rail covers and not metal. Just shake it up good and follow the instructions - if there's oil or CLP on it the paint won't stick.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Good info.  Here's a link to the refinishing section which is probably a good place to share this.  That's where I would look anyway.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/19_Refinishing.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I posted it there. Never saw that section - still learning my way around here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you. Saved
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I let it dry and here are some pictures. As I said, the pictures may not be representative of what you see. These photos were taken in indirect outdoor lighting and I can tell the shading is a little off, HOWEVER, when I physically LOOK at the magazine and rail cover comparison, they are nearly identical. I doubt you could tell the difference unless I told you. As I said, this is as close as you can get from a spray can and it's very, very close.

I built this carbine and it has a Spikes matched upper and lower cerakoted in standard FDE (not Magpul FDE). It is more tan in real life - not bronze. The 4.5" flash hider is pinned on to make 16" and I used PSA enhanced hammer/trigger in NiB. The BCG and charging handle is from AIM Surplus in NiB. I have these on several of my carbines and they are absolutely GREAT! Shot peened, MPI and staked key. They last forever and take a beating - I don't know how they sell them for $100 but they are top quality! Troy rear sight. Ballistic Advantage barrel. BCM front sight. Handguard is Midwest Industries in OD Green (looks grey sometimes). Looking at the pic of the carbine, the furniture looks to be different colors but everything is Magpul OD Green (except the rail covers, which are painted). Just use the exact spray paint I mentioned above and let it dry 24 hrs. Clean the items first with degreaser or alcohol. Good luck!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good!  What color is the upper and lower?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good!  What color is the upper and lower?
View Quote
It's a Spikes matched upper and lower cerakoted in standard FDE (not Magpul FDE).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top