Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 6:12:25 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about getting into some DIY Cerakote work for a few easy single color projects to start with.
But then I really got a steampunk AR build that I want to make that would involve using Robin's Egg blue for a corrosion look.  

Anybody want to guess how they do this effect?  
Is it.....
Overspray and wipe away?
Fine pencil spraying?
Something else?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like they may have applied it by hand.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess is a wash by hand with a brush. A wash is a very thinned paint. It's so thin, it runs like water and pools in recesses like in the photos.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The green looks like it is aplied with a short, stiff, dry brush and built up or wiped off to get the desired effect before curing. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replies.

I think the answers net out to be......lots of experience, experiments, tests, and redos.

I'm thinking the stiff brushes mentioned may be like stencil brushes?

Lastly I read that for multi colors that Cerakote recommends doing FLASH cures between colors before getting all colors applied and then doing a full 2hr cure.
My question is.... can there be hours/days between the colors or does the 3-colors essntially have to be applied in one marathon session?
http://cdn.dick-blick.com/items/051/67/05167-OAA3ww-l.jpg
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would do that with a bronze base coat, and a black top coat... then wipe the top coat off.  Blue highlights added after.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top