Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2017 4:35:15 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm getting my dedicated service rifle build rolling and my lowers just left the engravers (Thanks Tar Heel!).

My question is will my engravings survive Anodizing? I would like type 3 but US Anodizing is so goddamn expensive. If you guys know another source for type 3 please let me know.

Here's my engravings:

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
they'll be fine. Anodizing won't fill in the surface imperfections so it won't fill in your engravings at all.
Nice job on the engraving by the way
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they'll be fine. Anodizing won't fill in the surface imperfections so it won't fill in your engravings at all.
Nice job on the engraving by the way
View Quote
Do you have any recommendations for an anodizer?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Anodizimg won't hurt your engraving one bit, and I could show you a Type III anodized receiver and a properly Type II anodized receiver and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart even if I gave you a carbide scribe to scratch and gouge at them with. Without lab testing nobody can. Type II is just fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anodizimg won't hurt your engraving one bit, and I could show you a Type III anodized receiver and a properly Type II anodized receiver and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart even if I gave you a carbide scribe to scratch and gouge at them with. Without lab testing nobody can. Type II is just fine.
View Quote
I might end up doing type II just because I've only found one company doing type III and they're very expensive.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great! Cant wait to see this finished.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you have any recommendations for an anodizer?
View Quote
personally, I've found Cerakote a better option. Anodizing costs a lot... if you're lucky, you can get in for a minimum lot charge and places often don't like to deal with gun parts.
I hear US Andozing is the way to go if you really want anodizing
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess my question is do you just wanted it anodized because that's what the big boys run, or are you looking for the best pro?

I have blasted anodizing off rifles and recoated with spray and bake finishes for a few years now.  Not one ever fell apart from lack of anodizing.  So really unless you just gotta have it, to reproduce some mil-spec build, why worry about it.  

It sounds to me like you don't like the price for the service.  Then I'd say piss on it, get it cerakoted.  

At the end of the day, it's not an actual military service rifle, right?  It's your interpretation of one.  So if you didn't use the exact same mil-spec finish, meh.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Anodizing only affects the first 0.003" of the surface.  So you're talking a change of the width of a human hair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top