Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2017 7:01:50 PM EDT
I'm going to paint a rifle soon and I've seen alot of guys use this color and it what I'm going to use. My questions is do you do a layer of paint then let air dry till non tacky then baked at 170 for every layer of paint?

Or do you do a few coats and baked once at the end?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for asking OP.  Now I can't remember which method I used

ETA: 15-20 min between coats with oven set to "warm".  Final heat treat of "warm" for about an hour.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I use that color too. It is NOT FDE (in case you're wondering). I spray a coat and let it dry.  Spray a second coat and use an automotive "heat gun" to cure the paint.

This method has proven to be very durable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
This is Aervoe FIELD DRAB:

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The sick baby-poopish color in here is FD:

It makes a great base color.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Field Drab is much "earthier" than Krylon Camo's Tan (shown here):

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It is more "FDE ish" than Krylon's OD (shown here):

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your responses.

Those paint jobs look great.

How long did you use the heat gun to cure?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
And A LOT lighter than Rustoleum's Camo Brown (shown here):

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for your responses.

Those paint jobs look great.

How long did you use the heat gun to cure?
View Quote
Thanks,
I painted 20-25 ARs last year alone (in addition to hunting rifles for co-workers...see below).

I use the heat gun the same way I use the paint...continuous even strokes.  However, I hold the gun MUCH CLOSER to the paint (to increase the heat) and move MUCH SLOWER.  I haven't timed it, and am not scientific with my approach.  I've been painting guns for about 20 years so I just instinctual approach the topic.

I will add...if you want a uber durable finish you should NOT use any spray paint products.  Aervoe is the best spray paint I've used, but it isn't nearly as durable as Cerakote, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I will also mention....

The way your paint looks INDOORS under artificial lighting will be different than it looks outside.  Here's an example:

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Those are all really nice. Thanks for your advice. I'm not looking for a super durable coating. Just something cheaper to have fun with.

I'm building a 16" 300 blk that I'm going to use for deer season this November. So the gun will riding on the 4 wheeler most the time.

I plan on it wearing and chipping some
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The beauty of it is that you can always respray it if you need to

The colour is somewhat peanut buttery. Good earthy base colour
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude you do beautiful work.  You need to invest in good equipment to do Duracoat, KG gunkote, Cerakote.  Or maybe when I kick the bucket, I'll leave ya my stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dude you do beautiful work.  You need to invest in good equipment to do Duracoat, KG gunkote, Cerakote.  Or maybe when I kick the bucket, I'll leave ya my stuff.
View Quote
I guess that's aimed at me?  If so, thanks.  I really enjoy painting guns / accessories.   Not that I want anything to happen to you, but...how long do you have .
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
that  Aervoe FIELD DRAB looks more like Magpul FDE than Brownells Magpul FDE
I am thinking to try the Aervoe sand & field yellow
anyone have pics of the yellow?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
that  Aervoe FIELD DRAB looks more like Magpul FDE than Brownells Magpul FDE
I am thinking to try the Aervoe sand & field yellow
anyone have pics of the yellow?
View Quote
I used the yellow once.  It reminded me of something a little known "third world" nation would use in their camo scheme.  It wasn't good.  I was painting an AR for a guy that wanted a "World War 2 German Panzer Tank" paint scheme.  They often used a yellowish color so I tried the Aervoe Yellow.  Yuck.  I stripped the whole gun and started over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]
This is what I was trying to accomplish...

The Aervoe yellow isn't like this yellow.

...and no I don't have any idea why he wanted an AR painted like that.  It did look pretty neat when I was done though.  I should  have taken pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top