Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2017 10:11:59 AM EDT
OK, let me just say up front that I now know RustOleum paint was not a good choice, lesson learned. I wanted a flat sand color for my current build and their color was exactly what I wanted. I painted the lower receiver and a brand new Omega stock with RustOleum paint only to find out that it chips off and peels off VERY easily. I am going to strip off the paint but looking for input on how to do it without harming the parts. The lower receiver I'm not worried about, its aluminum and won't be affected by soaking it in mineral spirits.......but the polymer stock I don't know about. I read somewhere that neither nylon or polymer items will be damaged by soaking them in mineral spirits but was hoping to get some ideas from everyone about how you would recommend going about removing the paint. And if I can save someone a future headache, DON'T USE THIS PAINT ON A GUN!! Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've painted a handful of mine, cerakoted others, and some are just anodized. I'd say if you're using your guns as tools then whether it chips or not doesn't matter; hit it again with more paint.

If you're really intersted in stripping it, get some Citri-strip from your local hardware store. Its safe for gun plastics and I have used it a few times. May take more than one application for heavy layers of paint.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Citri-Strip works

Leave the gun out in the sun beforehand, then after you apply it leave the gun in the sun.  It works better when warm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information. I will get some today and give it a try. I was not happy at all with the outcome of the RustOleum paint.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Citri-Strip works

Leave the gun out in the sun beforehand, then after you apply it leave the gun in the sun.  It works better when warm.
View Quote
Yes, but it is MESSY.

Just get a can of Acetone at WalMart or Lowes.  Be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.  Wipe it on the paint...and wipe off the paint.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Remove stock.
Throw away.
Install new stock.

:P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top