Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 9:02:29 AM EDT
I've seen some pics (will find this afternoon) of things painted with military chemical resistant paint.  It seemed to have a much lower IR signature than anything I have tried to cover a gun with.

I was wondering if anyone had used it for a rattle can job or had a source for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only used in while in the Army. We repainted vehicles at Hood for a REFORGER excersize. Nasty stuff, we sprayed it on, no respirators. Just simple masks. Long term effects of that can be bad.Here's a warning link.

It's from the VA, so, find more credible sources
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sherwin Williams sells it. Not sure of how they are packaged but there is a two part version that must be mixed and a premixed one part version. Comes in cans or spray cans. Not sure if SW sells the rattle can versions but they are out there.

Sherwin-Williams
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Been using it for years. I would not spray it. It's bad shit. If you do spray it, use a forced air respirator.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I used it from quart cans before to touch up humvees. If I could get a quart can to help camo some stuff that would be awesome.

I read a threat this morning about something else (started with a K?) but it was archived and now I can't find it.  I want my camo to work equally well day and night.

ETA Kameleon-Kamo, there was a thread with some pics under night vision.

ETA#2, never-mind I see that is only available as a service.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
No one has any clue where to get it?

Besides its chemical resistance and durability, CARC has some other unique properties. For example, the base green color, “Green 383.” uses pigments that mimic the reflective properties of chlorophyll which is found in living plants, making the vehicle harder to detect using infrared detectors.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
All the places you call only deal with .gov contracts, I'm gonna try the local Sherwin Williams
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Used to use the touch up in the aerosol cans up until about 2008, when the Army decided a 2-part roll on was better for aircraft parts.  Dont use the roll on, it is utter crap.  Use the aerosol if you can still get it.  It is not as durable as krylon, I got smoked as a PFC for spraying my M16 with it in Bosnia, came off pretty easy with only denatured alcohol.  Use a primer if youre gonna spray it on a gun first.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We paint our aircraft in CARC paint, hawks and 47's, one of our suppliers is Sherman Williams. I don't remember the others
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, can't hotlink on my phone.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1831291_So-You-Want-To-Buy-A-Surplus-HMMWV-Humvee---A-How-To-Guide--And-All-Other-Things-HMMWV-Too--.html

its in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ebay
View Quote
Most of those are "CACR substitute" I doubt it is gonna have the IR properties of actual CARC paint.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We paint our aircraft in CARC paint, hawks and 47's, one of our suppliers is Sherman Williams. I don't remember the others
View Quote
I've got it on order now through Sherwin Williams, had to go to an industrial SW outlet, the local place had no idea what I was talking about.  Will see if this works out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me know what you find out.  Rumor control was that Dura coat was also initially made by S-W, so that would almost make sense.  I mix duracoat coyote tan and OD green to get a nice shade that's close to Magpul FDE and works very well low/no light.  Wouldn't surprise me much if your milspec paint is really close to commercial dura coat.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Nasty shit
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Mission achieved

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy shit!  Nice job chasing that down.  Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Some stuff ready to test, I mostly want to figure out what size splotches will work best under IR, I know how to make the camo work in visible light.  Now I need it to not rain much tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Something good is going on in those pictures that I can't see!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow.  Observations.  First of all, just getting that black licorice stick painted makes a huge difference.  Secondly it appears to me that "blotches" are way more effective than "stripes".  The blotches resemble the mottling you see in nature; the stripes resemble man-made things, which draws my eye.  Next is the color contrast.  Most colors, including camo patterns just turn into a solid green blob at night.  It looks like you're getting some nice contrast with that paint, which allows the camo pattern to work like it should, under IR.  

I used to be one of these guys that bitched and moaned about the black "dog bones" and "shoot me double-u's " in my woodland cammies.  I ran the ATACs cammies thinking these were the perfect pattern.  Which they are, for visual observation during daylight.  But for night ops, under NV, you need something to retain the pattern contrast.  

When you throw that on your AR, I'd love to see the pics.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow.  Observations.  First of all, just getting that black licorice stick painted makes a huge difference.  Secondly it appears to me that "blotches" are way more effective than "stripes".  The blotches resemble the mottling you see in nature; the stripes resemble man-made things, which draws my eye.  Next is the color contrast.  Most colors, including camo patterns just turn into a solid green blob at night.  It looks like you're getting some nice contrast with that paint, which allows the camo pattern to work like it should, under IR.  

I used to be one of these guys that bitched and moaned about the black "dog bones" and "shoot me double-u's " in my woodland cammies.  I ran the ATACs cammies thinking these were the perfect pattern.  Which they are, for visual observation during daylight.  But for night ops, under NV, you need something to retain the pattern contrast.  

When you throw that on your AR, I'd love to see the pics.  Nice job.
View Quote
All that is pretty much what I have figured it as well. Pics are up in the rattlecan paint picture thread
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#23]
how does krylon alone look under NVGs.  I've never tested it but now I'm curious.  

I've got two cases (1 tan and 1 ODG) of the spraypaint version of CARC.  That stuff is pretty nasty so I haven't used it for anything....yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
how does krylon alone look under NVGs.  I've never tested it but now I'm curious.  

I've got two cases (1 tan and 1 ODG) of the spraypaint version of CARC.  That stuff is pretty nasty so I haven't used it for anything....yet.
View Quote
I'm away from home at the moment, but there are plenty of pictures around. There are some on my website. Generally krylon doesn't look any different from parkarized. But ambient lighting, background, or illumination, color of the krylon all come in to play. In my experience dealing with this, the gen 2 cericote is the only thing that competes, and it is .mil only.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Actual CARC paint is only sold to military/military contractors etc.
also needs the correct primer or your bare metal part will rust and carcwill fall off adventually.  
   CARC paint for lack of a better term is somewhat porous.  If I remember right the primer was epoxy also.
   CARC is very expensive and very abrasive. Used to go through paint gun needles and fluid tips like crazy!
  If I remember right CARC is from hentzel company?
  I built and painted military vehicles for 7/8 years  before getting laid off.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Actual CARC paint is only sold to military/military contractors etc.
also needs the correct primer or your bare metal part will rust and carcwill fall off adventually.  
   CARC paint for lack of a better term is somewhat porous.  If I remember right the primer was epoxy also.
   CARC is very expensive and very abrasive. Used to go through paint gun needles and fluid tips like crazy!
  If I remember right CARC is from hentzel company?
  I built and painted military vehicles for 7/8 years  before getting laid off.
View Quote
I managed to get some through Sherwin Williams, it is doing a good job for what I wanted it for, durability will take a few months to test but it's looking good so far.

I was putting it on with a sponge.

It was expensive since I had to buy a gallon and used maybe a half pint.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you have to do anything special to get them to sell it to you?

Would anyone happen to know which specific CARC paint is used on a M1248 MRAP (Caiman CMTV)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top