Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 11:41:54 AM EDT
Hey y'all, I had to do some contouring on my gas block to get it to clear a handguard (gas block was a cut-down FSB originally done by factory, not me - I had to take the corners in a bit).  Anywho, I'm thinking I ought to paint the bare metal.  But gas blocks get hot.  So do I need to use a special kind of paint, or just some Alumahyde and call it hunky-dory?  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get some kind of high temp paint, there's quite a few choices of BBQ or Exhaust paint out there at the home improvement or auto parts stores. Being under a rail scratch durability won't be a concern at least!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cerakote air cure is a great option too.
View Quote
I'd much prefer to use Cerakote (legit gun finish rather than just high temp spray paint), but I don't have airbrush supplies.... You guys don't have a spray can product do you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can use the air cure in a preval sprayer available at most home depots. It won't look perfect, but it'll do the job, especially on a gas block that won't be seen. The only downside is then you'll be out like $50 for the cerakote and the sprayers, which is a bit much for just a gas block.

Alternatively, if you don't mind paying shipping, we can spray it for free for you. We do a ton of black for our large accounts and can just toss it in a batch.
View Quote
wow, that's a very generous offer.  That offer convinced me, in fact, that I'd rather buy Cerakote and do it myself than the other possible options available to me.  (I figure money into the system is better than not, even if it's just a few bucks)

I looked at the preval spray kits on HD's website.  They have the little 9oz one that'd probably be just fine for a gas block - unless there's a reason to go with the large kit (with the spray gun thing).  Hell, I'm sure I'll have another use for it in the future.  Thanks for the help and thanks for being so cool to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This has piqued my interest and leads me to the question of how many ounces does it typically take to spray an AR with rail and not including the grip or stock?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top