Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 7:22:46 PM EDT
Finally decided to paint my rifle today.

How many coats should I do on the bottom layer? I'm currently waiting on the first to dry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i did 4 layers of fde on mine.

i probably over did it but whatever, it works and imo came out pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
87 of course!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I use tractor supply camo and a laundry bag.

As far as how many coats.
Until you like it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i did 4 layers of fde on mine.

i probably over did it but whatever, it works and imo came out pretty good.

http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b3/b3403264_E7pdtkq.jpeg

http://cdn.overclock.net/f/fc/fcbe2ee8_j0IJIjg.jpeg
View Quote

That looks great.  I still want to paint something soon.  What brand and colors did you use?  Did use use the natural sponge method?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
krylon camo from walmart. just grabbed a can of each color.

used the natural sponge method.

at first i wasnt too excited about how it came out, then i put it in a pile of my multicam gear and it blended pretty well. What really got me liking it was when i set it down in the grass in early feb and i lost it for a good 10 - 15 minutes because it blends so well with my AO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
One, maybe a light two.  Keep in mind if your adding a second color that it will cover any gaps or flaws.  Any paint will add weight, which I didn't think about much but I weighed a rifle before and after I stripped the paint recently and the weight difference was 1lb.  Now this rifle had been rattle canned a few times but hold a can of spray paint when full and keep in mind if you use that whole can all that weight is going on your rifle so keep the coats low
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One, maybe a light two.  Keep in mind if your adding a second color that it will cover any gaps or flaws.  Any paint will add weight, which I didn't think about much but I weighed a rifle before and after I stripped the paint recently and the weight difference was 1lb.  Now this rifle had been rattle canned a few times but hold a can of spray paint when full and keep in mind if you use that whole can all that weight is going on your rifle so keep the coats low
View Quote
Hadn't thought about that.

Just applied the second coat to the bottom and its perfect.

Im planning on one coat for the top layer in a snakeskin pattern.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I use one, splotchy, uneven coat.  

This is not out of laziness or apathy, but because the uneven coat gives the finish depth, as well as color and pattern, which aids in the camouflage effect--most modern camouflage patterns integrate depth into their designs as well.  

Camouflaging a gun isn't an aesthetic project, it's a functional one, and consequently, you have to forget some of the "training" about painting things that you've likely picked up since childhood--like even coats and complete coverage.  Turning a gun into an art project often results in a splendid looking show piece, but fairly ineffective camouflage.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
^I'm kind of in the same boat as this guy.

When I paint, I just use Krylon and will just do one coat per color that I am using... expressly because I WANT it to wear sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top