Attachment Attached File

Control
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Not going to lie, took me a bit to find it in the first background picture.

Like it or hate it, multiglam is a fantastic transitional camouflage.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Multitarn is good. took me a bit on Pic1 as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been so tempted to paint an AR in the German Ambush pattern camoflage.

Multicam Flecktarn looks good to
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Pic 4. Hint--black would even do well in this position.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not going to lie, took me a bit to find it in the first background picture.

Like it or hate it, multiglam is a fantastic transitional camouflage.
View Quote
I wanted to try Multicam colors/pattern just to get it out of the way as I move on to other patterns, however its effectiveness took me be surprise. Several times I couldn't immediately find the piece after looking back up from editing pictures. I initially cringed at the light sand spots. However, they trick your mind into looking through the pattern, mimicing sun reflecting off of leaves, light leaf litter, and the sky beyond the pattern. I think I'll stick with this Multitarn/Fleckcam.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks awesome.
Which Aerovoe colors did you use?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Surprisingly effective

Ditto on the colour selection
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll look them up tonight.

Here they are:

Base is Light Coyote with Light Green sprayed in a disruptive pattern, each in 50% coverage.

Then using stencils I transitioned Light Green to Dark Green and Light Coyote to Coyote. When you do this the Dark Green will overlap the Coyote from the first layer as the Coyote overlaps the Light Green.

Finally the flek is Aervoe Earth Brown, Rustoleum Earth Brown (much darker), and Aervoe Desert Sand.

Note: Aervoe is heavy on solute and light on solvent. It takes a long time to firm up. Whereas the Rustoleum has little pigment and a lot of solvent, drying quickly. The Rustoleum over Aervoe result in a differential in cure rate with the former shrinking and cracking the underlying Aervoe when you put too heavy of an Aervoe spot. If you care. IAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Best pattern yet! Took me a few seconds to find it!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep that one is working, something to said about spots and stripes and as we know Leopards and Tigers can literally disappear before your eyes with their coat patterns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll look them up tonight.

Here they are:

Base is Light Coyote with Light Green sprayed in a disruptive pattern, each in 50% coverage.

Then using stencils I transitioned Light Green to Dark Green and Light Coyote to Coyote. When you do this the Dark Green will overlap the Coyote from the first layer as the Coyote overlaps the Light Green.

Finally the flek is Aervoe Earth Brown, Rustoleum Earth Brown (much darker), and Aervoe Desert Sand.

Note: Aervoe is heavy on solute and light on solvent. It takes a long time to firm up. Whereas the Rustoleum has little pigment and a lot of solvent, drying quickly. The Rustoleum over Aervoe result in a differential in cure rate with the former shrinking and cracking the underlying Aervoe when you put too heavy of an Aervoe spot. If you care. Ihttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41811/IMG-6320-186344.JPG
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed info.
I agree, the Aerovoe is quite thick. I usually flash cure it with a heat gun, or oven if possible.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, it took me a couple minutes to find it in that first pic!

Want to come by and paint up my rifle for me
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Nicely!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Really diggin these threads youre making on this stuff. Keep up the good work.

Took me a min or two to spot it in the first pic
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks sweet!

Would you mind scanning and uploading stencils?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks awesome.  You should make a tutorial for us.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the comments. As far as the stencils go, I don't have a scanner. I just free handed some organic shapes from small to large leaf sizes. The dots were done in the same way. I was going to take pictures step by step and then forgot the second step and just said fuck it. I'll definitely document my AR when I figure out the dark spots (zoom in on the pistol grip area to see how puckered the Krylon made the underlying Aervoe).
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Bumping this
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Love to see more of this
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Am I wrong in assuming that if you use the Aervoe for a base coat and let it fully cure, you won't have the same problems with puckering?

I'm want to try out a woodlands pattern on one of my rifles here pretty soon. I really want the aervoe coyote, rather than krylon khaki or sand for the light color base.

Edit:my damn phone fat fingers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the heads up on the colors and process. I'm really liking this idea.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Am I wrong in assuming that if you use the Aervoe for a base coat and let it fully cure, you won't have the same problems with puckering?

Edit:my damn phone fat fingers.
View Quote
Even after a full cure the Krylon may still react/pucker on the Aervoe, different brand and chemical combos don't always work well with each other.  The safer bet is staying within one product line for compatibility.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even after a full cure the Krylon may still react/pucker on the Aervoe, different brand and chemical combos don't always work well with each other.  The safer bet is staying within one product line for compatibility.
View Quote
Thank you for the reply. I was hesitant to just start painting with what I have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Gotta get that tutorial going
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve been building up the courage. The ACOG....
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Bumping this
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah you gotta get this thing going.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Not happening. Just going to Aervoe Field Drab all the things and let it wear in. I switch stuff around quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I pulled a variation on your theme.

Attachment Attached File

Works quite well

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’ve been building up the courage. The ACOG....
View Quote
Good thread Curare!

Why not cerakote a base with FDE? then Rattle can the other colors?

When the cheaper paint flakes off it adds to the camo pattern!

You can cerakote your ACOG using the H series and cure it at 150 degrees.

Won’t hurt the ACOG at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#32]
OP's multitarn looks good except I'd leave off the white dots.  They are how I found the pattern in each picture.

If the OP wants to try something a little more rare (weird really as it has a purple hue) look into Austrian Pea Camo (Austrian 57) . After a lot of testing I found that in the midwest it was surprising effective all year (four season).

INTERNET picture:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top