Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2017 5:35:32 PM EDT
I have some titanium parts that I need to darken - pretty much any color will do. I just want to eliminate the shine. Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Anodize it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anodize it.
View Quote
I am under the impression that startup for anodizing is very expensive. Do you have a guess what it would cost to set up a small parts anodizer?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Send it out to a business that anodizes to your specific volume.
Some will cater to small orders, some will only do large orders.

Is this something that you are turning into a mass production, or is a one time only type of thing?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Send it out to a business that anodizes to your specific volume.
Some will cater to small orders, some will only do large orders.

Is this something that you are turning into a mass production, or is a one time only type of thing?
View Quote
I invented a gizmo. I'll build as many as people will buy. I need to sell a batch to finance building more but I think they will sell better "tactically subdued". Right now they are pretty shiny. I can farm it out but I was hoping there was a chemical process I could do myself like there is for steel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen darkened titanium anodizing, usually you'll get just about every color of the rainbow, with through flame anodizing or using chemical/voltage treatment. I know a lot of guys doing custom stuff with zirconium can darken that material. I think the closest you'll get for "at home" will be a combination of media blasting and flame anodizing, keep the heat low, like barely a red glow, for the darker colors (purple and bronze). Orange to yellow heat will result in blue hues.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
cerakote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Spectore Corporation and Absolute Titanium pure black through and through Titanium alloy
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Can do the OxiClean method. Just a mild oxidation of exterior surface after sanding or blasting. Turns a dark gold brown color, apply gun oil and it turns dark gray.

Small write up on state gun forum I did

darkened Ti w/OxiClean
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can do the OxiClean method. Just a mild oxidation of exterior surface after sanding or blasting. Turns a dark gold brown color, apply gun oil and it turns dark gray.

Small write up on state gun forum I did

darkened Ti w/OxiClean
View Quote
Excellent. I am going to try this. It looks like it will subdue the parts enough that they don't stand out like a sore thumb. Thanks to everyone that contributed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually depending on what size the parts are, anodizing titanium isn't bad at all.

I anodized my bike bits using this method.

Anodize titanium
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it too early to ask what you are up to?  You've given out good advice in the NV forum, just wanted to see if it's something I could use, and, buy from you.

I can also KG Gunkote or Dura Coat stuff if you go that direction.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it too early to ask what you are up to?  You've given out good advice in the NV forum, just wanted to see if it's something I could use, and, buy from you.

I can also KG Gunkote or Dura Coat stuff if you go that direction.
View Quote
It is a lanyard anchor for the J-Arm of the PVS-14 that replaces the knob-screw. They turned out real nice. I just need to apply a finish now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually depending on what size the parts are, anodizing titanium isn't bad at all.

I anodized my bike bits using this method.

Anodize titanium
View Quote
No matter what, I'm definitely giving this a shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this the color you are looking for?

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Ideally, yes.

I truly understand that this gizmo is intended to be used in a low light environment and that, in reality, it does not need to be darkened. The customer, however, would probably disagree.

I could have iron plated them and then treated the iron plating but that is too much work. I did have the distinct honor of being able to call the originator of that process my friend - William Mershon, a true machinist and metallurgist.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you contacted the businesses I listed earlier to see if they sell black Ti stock?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you contacted the businesses I listed earlier to see if they sell black Ti stock?
View Quote
No, I did not. It looks like that was all raw material. Both of the Ti components in my design are off the shelf components that will require very little modification on my part aside from finishing. I am very happy with the two Ti off the shelf components that I already located. The main labor is in one stainless piece that I machine and I can oxidize it.

Utilizing solely raw materials will make this project too labor intensive and the end product will leave it's required price point.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be happy with "in the raw" parts as I can easily coat them.  Just bought a Ti Rhino II "in the buff", which came out beautiful in a custom Dura Coat mix.

So perhaps you could keep price point down on initial batch, by end-user finish coating (or having finish coated) themselves?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Search 9v titanium anodizing. Really easy and done frequently by knife making hobbyists. 9v batteries in series until you get the desired voltage.

Here's a color chart for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#20]
@Diz

I flamed the Ti parts as recommended by Lapp_Dance.

The larger Ti parts survived and took a brownish haze. The smaller parts died in the flame. I used the stainless shank to hold one of the pieces in the flame and it took a flamed surface too.

Flaming will do for an initial batch for serious end users. The less serious users will "need" theirs to be Tacticool Black (or something close) so anodizing is still in the works.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]
@SOT_Solutions 

What size work piece/billet do you use?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@SOT_Solutions 

What size work piece/billet do you use?
View Quote
This project is mostly small internal/external threaded pieces 1.25" on the longest dimension. The part that I smoked was a split ring for attaching a lanyard. I'm going to try the OxiClean for those to get a haze on them.

This gizmo is primarily for the hardcore guys that actually get out with their night vision and do faceplants so I think a rudimentary finish is all I need for the first batch. I'll keep experimenting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top