Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 6:40:50 PM EDT
I'm shooting a Glock lower and running into adhesion problems.  It's a redo, didn't like the first color, so I blasted it down like normal, degrease, all that good stuff.  Well I shot the white, flash cured it for five or six minutes, then black overtop, doing a worn look.  But the black did not adhere at all.  I saw an area flake so I took compressed air to it, and most of it blew off. Well shit.

So,. I took it back to blaster, blasted all the black off and hit all the white well.  I then shot a thin coat of white, flashed for 5 minutes, shot the black, flashed, did the worn look on it, everything looked good.

Picked it up today and the damn black is flaking off.  The white is stuck great, why the heck isn't my second color sticking?  18-1 mix on everything, never had this issue before.  Any idea of what the hell is going on? Put in a call to cerakote but haven't heard back.

Edit: i did the slide as well, same time.  No issues with that, just the polymer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
About 180.  I figured it's better to flash too short than too long?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I will change that.  Thank ya.  

But, I don't see how that could cause my issue?   Coming from an auto paint background, it seems that if it's not flashed completely, spraying another color on it would still adhere to it? Paint does.   If it was flashed too long I could see that, but not too short?  Am I wrong there?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Update.  Cerakote got back to me, and I believe we got it solved.   Although I was flashing with my oven set at 180, the frame being close to the heating element actually caused it to be much warmer, flashing it too quick.  So it was too cured to accept a top coat.  A cookie sheet over my element to even out the temp should fix that.  

So Olympic, you were correct, it was a flashing issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys heat up polymer lowers?  Or is that a metal after-market one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top