Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 10:31:45 PM EDT
Like the title says, which products are safe to use on my spraypainted AR?

I know Ceracoat is better but I'm enjoying experimenting with different color schemes before committing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately there are no oils that will not break down Krylon, though organic oils will not be as rapid as petroleum oils.
About the only cleaner that is Krylon safe would be dish soap and water.

Best option IMO would to just be extremely careful when oiling and cleaning the gun to minimize oil and cleaners getting onto the paint.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Once its cured you may get away with something like CLP, but I don't think you'll find any aggressive cleaners that won't damage spray paint.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got krylon on several AR15's.  The only thing I've seen oil or powder solvent do (keep in mind I don't scrub the outside of the rifle with either, but it does get splashed on the paint or leak out onto the paint - I'm an over luber) krylon is make it kind of shiny.  Not exactly like a gloss finish, but the flat camo colors aren't really flat anymore where the oil has leaked out of the receiver.  I use 3n1 oil and Mobil 1.

Try some different stuff yourself.  If you feel the paint gets damaged that's a good reason to try a different pain scheme.

Now, I have removed krylon with carb. cleaner and a tooth brush by spraying the paint and quickly scrubbing while the carb cleaner was still wet.  Then it takes a rag to wipe off the residue.  I stripped off a carbine stock to remove the krylon when I replaced it with an A2 fixed stock on the vARmint rifle.  It didn't appear to harm the plastic of the carbine stock at all and that stock in on another rifle right now (don't remember which one but it's been in use for several years after being stripped).  Carb. cleaner will damage some plastics and rubbers though, so be careful if you use that stuff on a gun (or anything else that isn't 100% metal.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the best ways to clean an AR is in the shower with hot water and a toothbrush.  Dawn helps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the tips guys.  I do appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Put on some matte clear over your rattlecan if you don't want to wear and be broke down as fast by cleaners.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
This.  I use Testors DullCote on all my rifle paint jobs at the end.  It also really opens up my color scheme options as I can include "luster" finish colors which go on with a sheen but go to a nice flat once you finish with the dullcote spray :)
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put on some matte clear over your rattlecan if you don't want to wear and be broke down as fast by cleaners.
View Quote
I always put 3 coats of that on all my rattlecan jobs.

No issues yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top