Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 3:21:05 PM EDT
I'm thinking of using duracoat for my pistol build. And wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. I was looking into their heavy metal colors.  Please post up pics of some you have done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
These two were done with DuraCoat, the barrels were done with the high-temp variety.

As you can see, it flaked off the flexible rubber of the scope cover, but otherwise has held up reasonably well.  The mounting screw was masked off when painting, that's not wear.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I use quite a bit of Duracoat, and like it much better than Cerakote.

Let me recommend DuraBake instead if you are painting parts that can be heated/baked.
It has an amazingly uniform surface after baking, and is very durable.

I use Duracoat on scopes and other equipment that I can't put into the oven.

Also, with Durabake you don't have to add hardener (it cures with heat). It's about $4 cheaper per 8oz bottle too.
I did some parts in Durabake in a color called Desert Mint. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it. The FDE Durabake is awesome.

It's much more forgiving than other firearm paints.

G.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Painted with Duracoat's Magpul FDE.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Done using Duracoat's Urban Camo kit

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Were all parts done with the duracoat or just the upper/lower/rail? I am trying to find out how well the duracoat magpul FDE matches up to actual magpul FDE parts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind that there are a number of different shades of FDE. They're usually named by the accessory manufacturer, such as "Magpul FDE", and so on.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Were all parts done with the duracoat or just the upper/lower/rail? I am trying to find out how well the duracoat magpul FDE matches up to actual magpul FDE parts.
View Quote
Sorry for the delayed reply, I just saw your post.

The PG and stock are factory Magpul FDE color. The rest is Duracoat. It matches very nicely
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top