Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2017 6:21:37 PM EDT
I have never tried refinishing a free float handguard.

How do I do the inside?

Will the overspray from doing the outside be enough, or would it be better to mask off the inside and leave it black.

This is the handguard I want to refinish.

Gary
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Between your overspray and the barrel you should be fine not masking off. Just make sure to get all of the rail sections and the end of the handguard. I usually spray all of mine pretty thin but with several "coats", not letting them dry, to make sure I do not miss any of the small areas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Paint with multiple coats, make sure you get all the edges of the cuts covered, including the front & rear ends. This is about all you can do, it you try to specifically cover all of the inside you're almost guaranteed to screw something up. Besides, once it's installed the barrel will block most of the view inside the tube anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I just rattle can painted one (and an upper) the other day. Gave it 2 coats. With all of the openings, it pretty much painted the inside as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
These can be a pain at times; especially the long ones.  Adjust your spray pattern to as small as it will go and increase your feed.  Shoot the inside from both ends using quick bursts to coat the inside as much as possible then coat the exterior after readjusting your gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the tips.

I used KG Gunkote light gray. I apply the finish with an airbrush.

With spraying in the ends and the overspray the inside is almost the same color as the outside. With the black barrel it is not noticeable.

Here are a few quick cell phone photos.

Completed upper.

Closeup in the center of the rail.

Forward end.

Gary
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the very few times overspray is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top