Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2016 1:23:44 AM EDT
I found an Elcan SU230 for sale online, but it seems to be painted in a tiger-stripe like pattern.

I've never held or seen an Elcan in person, but it looks to be some sort of rubbery material on the outside.

Would it be possible to remove the spray paint to reveal the true SU230 FDE without screwing it all up?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps acetone or MEK.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I found an Elcan SU230 for sale online, but it seems to be painted in a tiger-stripe like pattern.

I've never held or seen an Elcan in person, but it looks to be some sort of rubbery material on the outside.

Would it be possible to remove the spray paint to reveal the true SU230 FDE without screwing it all up?
View Quote

the elcan is metal but they do make rubber covers for them. perhaps its just the cover that is painted.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the elcan is metal but they do make rubber covers for them. perhaps its just the cover that is painted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a rubber cover for the SpecterDR and AFAIK no one makes one.

OP, the Elcan's finish is anodized aluminum.  Something on the less caustic side of strippers should work fine but it'll take some scrubbing.

I used this to strip some Krylon off a painted ACOG and it worked fine.  Took a few hours with a toothbrush, but it did the job.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#4]
'Goof-Off' or 'Oops' on a soft cloth or Q-Tip in corners. Won't hurt any kind of gun finish like anodizing, bluing, or a bake-on coating - even air-dry epoxy. But typical spray paint it will attack/remove. Protect your coated lenses just in case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I stripped a ACOG and got almost all of it off with goofoff, but it still looks "dusty" for a lack of better term.  It is almost like there is still a film of paint on it.  I scrubbed the shit out of it. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
keep any chemicals off the lenses.

Some may actually hurt the seals.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Citristrip
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]

That stuff is extremely caustic and stands a chance of damaging seals and lens coatings.  I wouldn't use that on an optic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I stripped a ACOG and got almost all of it off with goofoff, but it still looks "dusty" for a lack of better term.  It is almost like there is still a film of paint on it.  I scrubbed the shit out of it. Any recommendations?
View Quote

Had the same issue with the one I stripped.  Rub some CLP on the sight body and let it soak in.  Do that a few times and the "dusty" look should be minimized quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The original elcan had a rubber housing. If this is the model you're looking at, and the paint job is unacceptable to you, move along.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The original elan had a rubber housing. If this is the model you're looking at, and the paint job is unacceptable to you, move along.
View Quote

The SU-230 is a SpecterDR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm dumb sometimes. Pray you will never be me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm dumb most of the time, it's alright.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy it.
Mount on rifle.
Rattlecan it all!!

Black sux!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Had the same issue with the one I stripped.  Rub some CLP on the sight body and let it soak in.  Do that a few times and the "dusty" look should be minimized quite a bit.
View Quote

That's been my experience when stripping paint off AR lowers and other anodized aluminum. Looks like a white film is left but after some CLP it darkens up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That stuff is extremely caustic and stands a chance of damaging seals and lens coatings.  I wouldn't use that on an optic.
View Quote

I would think that you would cover the lens regardless of what you use. no seals should be exposed to the application.

Bruce 
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy it.
Mount on rifle.
Rattlecan it all!!

Black sux!!!
View Quote

Reason why I was asking is because the true SU-230 is a unique FDE color.  Different than the civilian FDE SpecterDR.  The rattlecan job that he had done to it looked absolutely horrible, hence the question.

All in all, I think the guy was trying to pull a scam on Armslist.  I know what you're thinking; a scammer on Armslist?  Never heard of that one before *sarcasm*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top