Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2016 12:18:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen ANVIS rattle canned but we generally don't bother; camoing your NODs doesn't really make sense:  you're typically only wearing them at night...when it's dark.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
MrPlayer has painted several NODs.  You can search for his threads in the NV forum, or contact him directly.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I got mine dipped by TNVC
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine also...multicam. Now I wish I had just left it black.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why?

I am happy with mine
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

why?    I am happy with mine

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why?    I am happy with mine

No real good reason.  It looks cool, but I think it was a waste of money, personally.  

Matches the rest of my multicam stuff. I just personally think the black looks better.  

Mine is for hog hunting and practically I don't think there is a good reason to have camo at night.  

Eh, I know it sounds silly, just my .02 cents.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MrPlayer has painted several NODs.  You can search for his threads in the NV forum, or contact him directly.

~Augee
View Quote

I have painted several NODs before. I really prefer it to black. I feel like it matches the rest of my gear better, black is the worst color when viewing thru NODs.
And you are only truly a bad as when you take a can of spray paint to a $3k+ device.

That being said I have good luck using a plastic primer and then either Aerove paint or DuraKote "can in a can". I cure lightly with a heat gun between coats.

I have now done enough that I have a threaded insert for the front onbjective and a custom slip fit cap for the rear objective.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#9]
just don't drop them in the field. I've spend hours trying to find various morons' NODs in the dark. The worst is in the mountains having to look with your own NODs and maintain light discipline. I don't want to imagine trying to find camouflage NODs in the brush at night, even with a white light.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
just don't drop them in the field. I've spend hours trying to find various morons' NODs in the dark. The worst is in the mountains having to look with your own NODs and maintain light discipline. I don't want to imagine trying to find camouflage NODs in the brush at night, even with a white light.
View Quote

Sounds like someone needs to make retention an SOP.  

What you're talking about is an overall bad situation to begin with, but I don't think I'd let it be a deciding factor either way.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What you're talking about is an overall bad situation to begin with, but I don't think I'd let it be a deciding factor either way.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee
hours over the course of several years... starting at 11b osut FTX. Later, once it was even a TAC-P(darn air force guys) .

Of course, one time we had to pause the whole exercise to look for an entire pallet that went missing during a resupply. It ended up in a farmer's back yard. The stupid riggers hadn't broken the IR chemlights before pushing it out of the plane . The farmer told us later that he thought it was Red Dawn, with parachutes landing in his yard and soldiers all over the place at night. lol. Guess that just goes to show you can lose ANYTHING in the dark.

Anyway, the point is... as others have said... its dark when you're using them anyway, and if hogs/predators/bad guys have NVGs, then the fact that they are black will probably be less of a problem for you than them being able to see you walking around with NODs on your head. So there is absolutely no tangible benefit.

On the other hand, if you somehow do put them down or drop them somewhere, black is going to be much easier to find than camo. I stopped camo-painting stuff like multitools after I knocked a camo'd Leatherman Wave of the hood of my jeep while camping and, despite being the middle of the day, neither my friend nor I could find it.

Crap happens. I think multicammed NODs look as cool as the next guy, but for me, I can't justify spray painting something so expensive to gain no value other than it looks cooler.  

I have a coyote hunting rifle that is camo'd, but I'm building a dedicated night rig right now that will have a thermal scope, etc, and I'm just doing it all black since it will be normally used ...in the dark. To each their own. :shrug:

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that you would have more issues with you other gear; that and mistaking someone kitted out like this for anything other then what he is would be a long shot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top