Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 8:56:57 AM EDT
My buddy who has been Cerakoting guns and parts for over a decade now (and he was extremely careful to always don rubber gloves and a respirator mask while doing so) was just diagnosed with AML leukemia and started his chemotherapy treatment last week. Cursory Google queries yield direct links between Benzene and leukemia. Although there will likely be no way to ever prove a causal connection, I would nonetheless be interested in a discussion of your opinions related to Cerakote health concerns...

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's a stretch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's a stretch.
View Quote

^This, especially since he used full PPE.

Some guys use very little PPE, touch chemicals barehanded, and never get anything.

Other guys use full PPE, avoid touching chemicals barehanded, and still get something.

Sometimes people are just unlucky too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My buddy who has been Cerakoting guns and parts for over a decade now (and he was extremely careful to always don rubber gloves and a respirator mask while doing so) was just diagnosed with AML leukemia and started his chemotherapy treatment last week. Cursory Google queries yield direct links between Benzene and leukemia. Although there will likely be no way to ever prove a causal connection, I would nonetheless be interested in a discussion of your opinions related to Cerakote health concerns...

View Quote

True. True. And unrelated.

Everyone who gets leukemia has some sort of environmental risk factor, because EVERYONE is exposed to environmental risk factors.

The risk factors become meaningful when you are exposed to high levels of the stuff (think chemical industry work).

Benzopyrene is a very powerful carcinogen, and we make some every time we cook a steak and fat drips on the coals.

Wear gloves, goggles, and a respirator, and that's everything you can do to protect yourself right there (but not while grilling a steak).

G.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I handle pure benzene almost daily, and sometimes without gloves.

I'm OK so far. It smells good, at least.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope this doesnt come as a shock or a stretch to anyone, but if you can smell it you have most certainly inhaled it. if you inhale something it crosses into the bloodstream fairly easily, gases usually the easiest to cross permeable membranes in the lungs. Vapor benzene being a gas mixed with atmopsheric air.

Benzene being (im pretty sure about this - think i heard it in undergrad) known to the state of california to be a carcinogen, id want to limit it being in my bloodstream. Blood, marrow, or immune cells (very commonly found in the bloodstream) exhibiting cancer or undifferentiated growth is known as leukemia in a simple understanding, i dont know if id argue it being a stretch. (to whoever mentioned that before)

However, i have handled my share of benzene and other very volatile and insidious chemicals and solvents and have yet to be formally diagnosed with a cancer or growth.
Do it think the dose makes the poison? most likely, but there are plenty of people that can never have exposure to real carcinogens and still end up with cancer.
Case in point; in the realm of medicine, and heath care, it is widely understood that if males live long enough, they will eventually develop prostate cancer - i dont know of ANYONE rubbing benzene or toluene on their perineum, or inhaling tobacco smoke into their ass, yet they develop prostate cancer anyway.

This post I wrote simply is to illustrate different points to think on. I am not attacking anyone in any way.  if you feel i have singled you out I only used your statement to illustrate a point of somewhat common knowledge that may appear to be true upon face value, but should be examined a little closer, if at least for food for thought. You guys brought up intelligent discussion on something I DO actually like to discuss - i just never expected such to be found here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top