Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2016 11:02:18 PM EDT
I have a Colt M1917 .45 ACP revolver which is pretty heavily pitted on almost every surface. It shoots great but it is pretty ugly. I am thinking about trying to bead blast it and parkerize it at least that way the parkerizing might help fill some of the voids. Does anyone have experience with this?

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep it as is. It is more collectable that way.

If you refinish it, cut the value even more.

You could get it refinished to look like a WWII arsenal rework with the correct partkized finish.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Leave it alone
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
How are the internal surfaces?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it as is. It is more collectable that way.

If you refinish it, cut the value even more.

You could get it refinished to look like a WWII arsenal rework with the correct partkized finish.

View Quote

I think there is very little collector value in it right now. I would just give it a parkerized finish to make it more practical of a gun. Of course many of these revolvers were parkerized between the wars so it is not an unoriginal finish. I may just leave it, but I think that a fresh parkerizing would make it look much better.

The internal surfaces are good, but the bore is pitted. The rifling is shallow and there are small pits (not as bad as the external though). It still shoots pretty good amazingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top