Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2016 8:49:58 AM EDT
So I'm building my father in law a gun and he is a retired cement finisher.

I want to have a simple cement truck engraved on the mag well of the lower, but no one local does firearms (or has before).   My question is for decorative purposes only how powerful of a laser would I have to have to etch the finish on the lower?   Would etching be enough to show up or look good throughout the life of the firearm? or should I look into physically having it engraved?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is anodized a 30 watt CO2 laser (as found in many trophy shops) will do fine.

Most of the white with no depth designs you see on black anodized lowers are done this way.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Do it yourself. Lots of videos on YouTube too.

You probably have most of the needed stuff laying around the house. Tons of people on etsy can make you a stencil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If the lower was still in the white it would be easy to etch with a battery charger, vinegar and water.

With a finish on it, you'll need to use a laser.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTks3y8vu-4
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I figured laser was the way to go. There is local store that does laser for trophies. With the advice above about 30w working for just an etch I'll give them a call and see what they can do.  I've got a couple cheap lowers that I wouldn't care if it didn't work on the first try.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI I am an 07 FFL that does laser engraving everyday on guns.  [email protected] for quotes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top