Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 12:44:32 PM EDT
Hey guys.

Has anybody tried using plasti dip to refinish their rifles?

Well I did, so here's what I'll tell ya:
Looks awesome!
Feels rubbery (crazy)
Definitely won't last long on high wear locations.
I made sure to mask off any moving parts.
The beauty is it will peel right off. So if I change my mind or fuck up, it's not a hassle

I don't know how long the finish will hold up though through normal use.

I think k I need to do a brown over spray, the tan is too light for my AO.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
How's it going to hold up on the barrel in particular?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
probably melt all over it and make a nightmare out of removal
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read accounts of people plasti dipping their exhaust systems, and cite it's good beyond 200F.

Hopefully I'll get out with it Monday or Tuesday and put 100 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had that dip on my chrome grill for close to 5 years and it's still gtg minus a couple spots where rocks hit it off road haha.

I've also read on here somewhere you can use it on the buffer spring and it makes it quieter.

And in for the results later on, I've yet to try it on a rifle
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had it on my Jeep wheels for more than two years and it has held up beautifully.  I'd be hesitant to put it on a barrel. It might do just fine, though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Im wondering about putting the plastic-dip over an overmoulded hogue stock to change color... ...i wonder if anyone has tried that...
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I used it to cover a scope. Worked well but definitely doesn't hold up as well as kyrlon etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used it on bike plastics, it will wear off quickly in contact areas and start peeling, but it lasted a couple years for me.
Not sure what will happen if you get the barrel hot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Added a little brown and took her out.
Only ran about 20 rounds through it, but it didn't effect performance at all.

I did notice the finish tends to wear off easily on the bottom of the buttstock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
On my truck, I used 5 coats of Plastic-Dip on the gril, been 5 years and still looks like the day I did it.  The trick is multiple thin coats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top