Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2016 10:05:55 PM EDT
I have an older 30-30 that has a few cracks in the stock (both forearm and butt stock)... the cracks are relatively minor, and are on the sides facing the receiver and barrel.  That said, I still would like to "fix-reinforce" them.  What I need is a way to inject some type of glue into these small cracks.... is a hypodermic needle the way to go?..if so, what is the preferred glue to use?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be very careful of glues like gorilla glue because they expand several minutes after applying and could push the wood apart making the crack bigger, and there is no way you will be able to get it out to fix it. I would bet more project have been screwed up than fixed by that type of glue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Superglue with a needle applicator.  Dead serious, works great for hairline cracks.  If you can access the backside of the crack run a bead down the crack line as well.

If the crack is larger and needs to be pinned, drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than a brass screw.  Before you run the screw in use the superglue in the crack, then screw it down through.  Cut the excess screw off on both sides with a dremel, file close, and lightly sand the squeeze out.  If you need to minimize squeeze out evidence use pastewax on the surface before applying the superglue. Any squeezeout will remain on top of that and can be easily removed.

One of the nice things about superglue is it dries clear.  If you can actually see the repair it'll look like a slightly darker line.  Usually it blends in with the woodgrain.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Superglue with a needle applicator.  Dead serious, works great for hairline cracks.  If you can access the backside of the crack run a bead down the crack line as well.

If the crack is larger and needs to be pinned, drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than a brass screw.  Before you run the screw in use the superglue in the crack, then screw it down through.  Cut the excess screw off on both sides with a dremel, file close, and lightly sand the squeeze out.  If you need to minimize squeeze out evidence use pastewax on the surface before applying the superglue. Any squeezeout will remain on top of that and can be easily removed.

One of the nice things about superglue is it dries clear.  If you can actually see the repair it'll look like a slightly darker line.  Usually it blends in with the woodgrain.
View Quote

^^^^^^ Good advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top